Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the definitive 16-bit home version of Street Fighter II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thumb covering 6 buttons is unplayable. Ergo proper stick is a necessity.

Comment

This is why the NeoGeo layout is my favourite. Four buttons, one for each finger. Additional buttons aren't missed, as simultaneously pressing multiple buttons doubles up for any additional inputs.

Six buttons are perfectly fine, I just prefer the Neo layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Well, I played them all back in the day, but to make sure I still feel the same way.
        If one owned all the systems, you never play the same game for the equal amount of time over 3 or 2 different systems. One system of a said game, will get the most play time... Not just becasue of fanboy stuff, but becasue they will just be one system that is played the most in ones house and also where most of ones mates might own the system too... Which really helps with a Vs game; you mates have played it, they are used to the controls and they own the pads too (for games that played with more than 2 players)

Ask most people their fav version of 32Bit Road Rash and I'm willing to bet the 3D0 wins out the most, even though I also own the game also on the Saturn and PS and can barly see any real difference between all 3 and they pretty much all play the same . But I think thats more becasue if you had a 3D0 back inthe day, one put hours into the 3DO compared to the Saturn or PS ones

I take the point about going back now, but that gets a little pointless when one can play Arcade perfect versions of SF II on current systems, never mind Saturn, PS, PS2 . In fact, going back to SF II on the Snes and MD you find out how way off the Gfx was compared to the Arcade. Back in the day, I used to think it was a lot closer than it actually is

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          If one owned all the systems, you never play the same game for the equal amount of time over 3 or 2 different systems. One system of a said game, will get the most play time... Not just becasue of fanboy stuff, but becasue they will just be one system that is played the most in ones house and also where most of ones mates might own the system too...
          Yeah, one of my mates had a SNES, so he was all about the SNES when he came round. Another mate only had a Mega Drive, so he would bring MD games round like EA Hockey and want to play that all the time.

I take the point about going back now, but that gets a little pointless when one can play Arcade perfect versions of SF II on current systems, never mind Saturn, PS, PS2 . In fact, going back to SF II on the Snes and MD you find out how way off the Gfx was compared to the Arcade. Back in the day, I used to think it was a lot closer than it actually is
          Well, as much as 16-bit SF2 games were made redundant by 32-bit era, I still find it enjoyable to go back to SF2 on the PCE, MD, and SNES. As much as they are quite far off the arcade version, at least they all play well. When it comes to Turbo on the SNES, there's definitely an element of nostalgia that keeps me coming back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            Yeah, one of my mates had a SNES, so he was all about the SNES when he came round. Another mate only had a Mega Drive, so he would bring MD games round like EA Hockey and want to play that all the time.
            That's it... In my school days, most of my local friends and school friends (all the one's who were into gaming ) Had a Master System and Mega Drive, or for the microcomputers it was ZX Spectrum and Atari ST. Those were the main systems, for my group of friends. It was just me and 2 other boys who had a Snes (no one had a NES at all) so by in large, it was aways the MD version getting played the most, for any multi platform game in the 16 bit days

I still find it enjoyable to go back to SF2 on the PCE, MD, and SNES
            I do too. I wasn't knocking the port, just was shocked at how far off the GFX really were Used to think the GFX were a lot closer back inthe day, same for Ghost N Ghouls on the MD (and given thats the version I played the most, its my fab version) Even though, I've owned a Arcade perfect version, since the Capcom Generations collections. Lot of the time, its the version you played the most, that will get the vote for 'your' best version.
            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 27-08-2018, 12:14.

Comment

It was just me and 2 other boys who had a Snes (noone had a NES at all) so buy in large it was aways the MD version getting played of any multi platform game in the 16 bit days
              Because the MD had a head start on the SNES, a lot of my friends saw Sonic on my MD and then wanted the Mega Drive Sonic bundle a while later. But then other people I knew got to see the SNES before Pal land got it, and they ended up wanting one. One of my mates bought an import machine because I convinced him NTSC was best for gaming. Trying to get that to work on his 14" cheapo tv was a pain, but a Pal converter box sorted it.

I used to think the GFX were a lot closer back inthe day, same for Ghost N Ghouls on the MD and given thats the version I played the most, its my fab version even though I own a Arcade perfect version since the Capcom Generations collections. I lot of time is the version you played the most, that will get the vote for 'your' best version.
              Yeah, it's funny how much punier SF2 looks on 16-bit consoles, but it did seem like the arcade in the home at the time. Capcom definitely did a great job of making the game feel like the arcade version.

There's something nice about playing a game like G&G on different systems. Each version has a distinct vibe unique to the hardware its running on. I like Magic Sword on the SNES, despite it having severe slowdown, simply because the SNES music is so much nicer.

Comment

Am I the only person here who uses three fingers for the buttons when playing SF on a pad? It’s similar to using a stick. Playing with my thumb is like hunting and pecking on a keyboard. It’s good for throws in SF3 onwards, though.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  Am I the only person here who uses three fingers for the buttons when playing SF on a pad? .
                  I have a thumb on the main buttons and two fingers on the shoulder buttons. If a pad doesn't have shoulder buttons, I'll just use a thumb. I don't think using fingers would feel comfortable for me.

Comment

Well, that’s certainly an interesting way of doing it...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      Well, that’s certainly an interesting way of doing it...

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                        Am I the only person here who uses three fingers for the buttons when playing SF on a pad? It’s similar to using a stick. Playing with my thumb is like hunting and pecking on a keyboard. It’s good for throws in SF3 onwards, though.
                        SF3 has to be played on a stick. I’m a Hugo main and there ain’t no way I can consistently manage a 720 using a pad, even if I did use my fingers to piano the buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          SF3 has to be played on a stick. I’m a Hugo main and there ain’t no way I can consistently manage a 720 using a pad, even if I did use my fingers to piano the buttons.
                          Ahhh.

By 'similar to using a stick', I was referring to my fingers on the buttons of a controller being similar to how they are on an arcade stick. It's confusing now I read it back!

And by 'throws', I meant LP+LK throws in SF3/4/5, not special move throws.

Everyone's talking about the various button layouts and which is better/worse. I thought using fingers on joypad buttons was a bit more common than it is but perhaps not.

Comment

Nah, I got you. You’d pretty much have to use your fingers on a six-button facing pad to play SF3 to even a moderate standard anyway as using your thumb would make kara throws nigh-on impossible. I meant that the pad itself would be hard/impossible for me to perform 720 movement with any kind of consistency, using fingers for button presses notwithstanding.

Comment

How do you hold the pad then? Surely any benefit of using your fingers on the six button layout instead of your thumb is lost by your left hand having to control the d-pad whilst also pinning the pad harder in place as you hold it one handed effectively? It sounds really uncomfortable so I could definitely understand a love of arcade sticks then

Comment

Working...
                              X