Dead Cells [XB1/PS4/NSW/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Cells [XB1/PS4/NSW/PC]

Had seen a lot of hype around this in the lead-up to launch, and after checking out what it was, it seemed right up my street. I've spent about 5 hours with it so far, and I'm very glad I picked it up. In short: it's a roguelike, but with a little bit of a 'metroidvania' twist. Think Spelunky meets Rogue Legacy, but with really great and varied combat, and great presentation too?

Even though, yes, it is back to the beginning after every death, there are some skills (mostly ones that aid navigation) you learn that persist between games, and in the between-level hub area there's the chance to catch your breath and also use one of the game's currencies (Cells) to start unlocking some of the other permanent upgrades - so there is at least a good feeling of progression even though the real drive is to get you to play better.

You'll have up to four weapons / skills at a time which are split into three families, that can each be independently upgraded when you find a scroll - of which there's usually a few in each level. There's also "mutations" that are passive bonuses that you can apply one at a time as you progress through levels (so far up to 3 max) and that effect different groups of skills, so depending on what weapons you find and how you build your load out, each game can feel very different.

Cautious play seems a sensible approach at the start, but there are also time-locked doors that can yield some really great bonuses if you're willing to go hell for leather. So far in my experience, this has worked out much better, with the bonus goods working out a load better than those you'd get from pushing for 100% exploration in each level.

Oh and - as I'm sure the question will come up - there are definitely frame drops on the Switch version, and at times it's even done a weird rollback thing on me. I've not had it cause too many problems so far, but if you're particularly sensitive to performance issues then maybe avoid this version. Having looked online there are reports (link) that a patch may come to improve things, but not until November at the earliest.

Great to hear! Preordered switch signature edition! My first console purchase in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      Had seen a lot of hype around this in the lead-up to launch, and after checking out what it was, it seemed right up my street. I've spent about 5 hours with it so far, and I'm very glad I picked it up. In short: it's a roguelike, but with a little bit of a 'metroidvania' twist. Think Spelunky meets Rogue Legacy, but with really great and varied combat, and great presentation too?

Even though, yes, it is back to the beginning after every death, there are some skills (mostly ones that aid navigation) you learn that persist between games, and in the between-level hub area there's the chance to catch your breath and also use one of the game's currencies (Cells) to start unlocking some of the other permanent upgrades - so there is at least a good feeling of progression even though the real drive is to get you to play better.

You'll have up to four weapons / skills at a time which are split into three families, that can each be independently upgraded when you find a scroll - of which there's usually a few in each level. There's also "mutations" that are passive bonuses that you can apply one at a time as you progress through levels (so far up to 3 max) and that effect different groups of skills, so depending on what weapons you find and how you build your load out, each game can feel very different.

Cautious play seems a sensible approach at the start, but there are also time-locked doors that can yield some really great bonuses if you're willing to go hell for leather. So far in my experience, this has worked out much better, with the bonus goods working out a load better than those you'd get from pushing for 100% exploration in each level.

Oh and - as I'm sure the question will come up - there are definitely frame drops on the Switch version, and at times it's even done a weird rollback thing on me. I've not had it cause too many problems so far, but if you're particularly sensitive to performance issues then maybe avoid this version. Having looked online there are reports (link) that a patch may come to improve things, but not until November at the earliest.
      I think this opinion was copied from IGN.

Comment

Rogue likes where you die....and then start from scratch really do bug me as was playing Enter The gungeon and i got sick of it after a while, this however though i do like it that at least when you start again there can be some progression, though I dunno if its just me but feels like there are areas that are impossible to access (out of reach jumps that kind of thing)

Comment

There's a few setups in the map generator that I keep seeing where I'm positive there's a skill to be learnt

Anyone else playing? Gotten far? I've made it to the area just after the second boss a couple of times, but it feels like some of the enemies there are far rougher than anything up until that point. Next time I make it there it may be time to switch to a slow-and-steady style, as even getting clipped seems to be really damaging.

Comment

After spending most of my time speeding through runs and inevitably dying at the end, I decided to do a slower, more methodical run, which ended up being ridiculously powerful by the end, absolutely tearing through the last boss and getting me my first clear. I'm still missing one of the runes though, so now to go back and explore the other Bioms that I've not made it to yet.

Still really liking this - so very good for on the go, too.

Comment

I got this a boxed release for Christmas on Switch.

Have to say I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion on BD about Dead Cells because it is pretty great!

I can understand that people might have concerns about roguelikes but when they are mixed with some form of permanent progression it really helps to hold the experience together in my opinion.

So a few hours into Dead Cells my overriding feeling is that it has the "one more go" factor in spades. Today is the first time I have brought my Switch to work to play on the commute in ages. Each run seems to go from between 10 minutes to an hour and even though I'm not strong enough to finish a playthrough yet I can feel that I will be soon. After that, there is a ton of content that I know I haven't seen yet.

This is another great addition to the Switch library.

Comment

I bought Dead Cells a few weeks ago and have been completely hooked ever since, I can't believe this isn't a 10+ page thread. Combat is so satisfying and the controls are so smooth. Oh and the music really is top notch, proper dramatic tunes that really get in your head.

I managed to defeat the last boss on my 12th run quite amazingly but I'm going to need better gear to tackle the next difficulty setting as I can't get past the 2nd stage on that.

The new DLC just dropped and it fleshes the came out even more. New areas, new weapons, new enemies and even new skins for your character - a perfect time to buy if you haven't already, I can't recommend the game enough.

Comment

Great news about the new stuff - it's free, right? I remember there being promise of a patch that'd improve performance on Switch too, did that ever land? The game is indeed bloody great, but I've not played in some time. I finished the first loop but didn't get much further either, from memory...

Comment

I'm playing on Switch and performance seems really good so i would say it's been much improved (although i never played it when there was problems).

All the DLC is free. There's quite a bit of content to catch up on it you haven't touched it in a while. Were custom games possible when you last played?

Comment

Took me 24 tries to get to the end! Normally I despise Roguelikes but this gripped me, at least enough for one playthrough. The controls, combat, environments, and especially the music. All fantastic.
                      Last edited by Golgo; 30-05-2019, 06:18.

Comment

brilliant look into how they designed this game from he lead dev

Not done a complete run yet but got to the end, its a great one more go affair
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 03-06-2019, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                          brilliant look into how they designed this game from he lead dev

Not done a complete run yet but got to the end, its a great one more go affair
                          I saw this video a few weeks back and hearing about the mindset behind the game and the care taken to assist the player in a fair way was what convinced me to get the game.

Comment

Started playing this today after being foolishly on the fence for months and months. Its so good. I can't put it down.

Comment

The music is fantastic in this game!

Comment

Working...
                              X