No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Puzzle Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve never actually had the luxury of colour in my Dr. Mario, it’s overrated in my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
      I’ve never actually had the luxury of colour in my Dr. Mario, it’s overrated in my opinion...

It certainly looks more 'clinical' looking in monochrome.

Comment

Puzzle games are one for me where I like the idea of them more than the reality, much like scrolling beat 'em ups.

Dogg put it succinctly - there's nothing for you to hang your hat on with most of them, it's just raw mechanics. It's a problem for me in general with some types of game these days.

Of the selection there, I'd probably go with Puzzle Bobble. I find the fact that it challenges you to aim, as well as simply choose where to place your bubbles, elevates it above other puzzlers for me. The presentation is charming too. I was recently on holiday and there was an arcade with a Neo 2-slot with it in, I had quite a few games with my girlfriend. Fun game.

Comment

Tetris for me, but more specifically the Arika Tetris: The GrandMaster series. People seem fond of the GB version but TGM takes it to a whole new level with amazing controls and gameplay mechanic nuances. The GB version is super restrictive in comparison and when you get to a certain score/level fast moment isn’t possible anymore unless you spaz out on the controls, whereas TGM is built for speed and control finesse. It’s amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
            Tetris for me, but more specifically the Arika Tetris: The GrandMaster series. People seem fond of the GB version but TGM takes it to a whole new level with amazing controls and gameplay mechanic nuances. The GB version is super restrictive in comparison and when you get to a certain score/level fast moment isn’t possible anymore unless you spaz out on the controls, whereas TGM is built for speed and control finesse. It’s amazing.
            Yeah, yeah, but you can't play link-up Tetris in the back of History lessons with an Astro City cab though!

Comment

Until I saw QC's photo I'd actually forgotten about playing Klax in Tate mode on the Lynx, I loved that at the time. For some reason I only ever associate playing puzzle games with handhelds. Tetris on OG gameboy, columns on game gear, lumines on PSP etc. Probably a genre portable systems excel with.

Comment

I really like the vs. ones, such as SPF2T and Puyo Puyo Tetris, but then when I get demolished by someone who only ever plays that one game (and absolutely nothing else) it kind of turns me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Probably a genre portable systems excel with.
                  Yeah, handhelds seem like the perfect home for puzzle games. I feel more compelled to buy puzzle games for handheld systems.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  but then when I get demolished by someone who only ever plays that one game (and absolutely nothing else) it kind of turns me off.
                  I used to "demolish" friends and family at Bombliss.

Comment

Puyo Puyo (mean bean machine) is an awesome 2 player puzzler. Building massive combos and letting them go before your opponent does is something me and a friend have put countless hours into over the years. I even had a cat 20 years ago that I named Puyo!

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
                      I even had a cat 20 years ago that I named Puyo!
                      A much nicer name than 'Mean Bean'. I also had a lot of fun playing Puyo Puyo with friends.

Comment

I'm outraged! outraged i say, that you have called it that wanky mean bean machine title it's puyo puyo. Raaargh lol.

This one is a hard one to choose i love puyo but i also really love klax and tetris too. Also as much as i can't stand street fighter i really did like super puzzle fighter the thrill of making those huge ass gems was really addicting especially the thrill when you then destroy it to send it over to the other player.

I'd probably have to settle on klax, it's pretty tough too especially trying to make the ultimate combo of that giant X in the drop bin. I love how the woman goes oooh as you rack up the combos and the mini round of applause.

Comment

Irrelevant to the poll but my favs are Guru Logi Champ, the Kururin games, and Loopop Cube: Loop Salad (prefer the PS1 version because of the music, but the DS version is still superb). Honorable mention goes to Doki Doki Idol Star Seeker Remix for the Dreamcast. It was G.rev’s first game.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            I'm outraged! outraged i say, that you have called it that wanky mean bean machine title it's puyo puyo. Raaargh lol.
                            I'm quite fond of the 'Mean Bean Machine' name. I know it's Puyo Puyo, but I think a lot of Mega Drive owners wouldn't have known what Puyo Puyo was.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            I'd probably have to settle on klax, it's pretty tough too especially trying to make the ultimate combo of that giant X in the drop bin. I love how the woman goes oooh as you rack up the combos and the mini round of applause.
                            I will definitely be buying the Lynx version, then I'll give the game some serious attention. I have played it briefly on other systems and thought it was pretty good.

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                            Irrelevant to the poll but my favs are Guru Logi Champ, the Kururin games, and Loopop Cube: Loop Salad (prefer the PS1 version because of the music, but the DS version is still superb). Honorable mention goes to Doki Doki Idol Star Seeker Remix for the Dreamcast. It was G.rev’s first game.
                            I'll check some of them out. Guru Logi Champ looks really interesting.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-10-2018, 21:49.

Comment

Puzzle Bobble of the ones listed.

Notable mentions to Panel de Pon and Money Idol Exchanger though.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                                Panel de Pon
                                Or 'Tetris Attack' on the SNES. It depends on which graphics you prefer.

Comment

Working...
                                X