Retro|Spective 053: Uncharted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 053: Uncharted

As alluded to in the last thread, this time we look at a popular franchise that will feel like it strains the definition of retro however, like several others that have and haven't survived till today, it began in the early days of the last generation of consoles to its origins now rest in the buried tombs of retro:

Mainline Entry 01 - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Formats: Playstation 3 and Playstation 4
    Coming off the back of wrapping up the Jak and Daxter series, Naughty Dog went for something much less animal led for their next game instead focusing on making something that mirrored big budget movies and with the visuals to suit that task. Taking on the role of treasure hunter Nathan Drake, you found yourself pulled along a spectacle fuelled adventure that was very story and character driven. Despite the stature of the franchise the original represented a place as a grower receiving mostly 8's in reviews on release and selling well but taking a few months to clear its first million. It was a solid beginning though with the game resonating with most who played it and Naughty Dog was quick to attempt to build on this foundation with a sequel.

Mainline Entry 02 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    The aim of the sequel was simple, to refine the gameplay of the first whilst evolving the visuals and amping up the scale of the action. A few new characters appeared in the sequel that moved beyond the jungle setting of the original to showcase a variety of locations that began with the impressive and well known snowy train wreckage scene. Arriving in the middle of the PS3's prime the game caught attentions fast and on release was widely acclaimed for its polish as well as the success of integrating a multiplayer mode for the first time. The game would go on to sell over twice what its predecessor accomplished making the series a front runner of Sony's.

Mainline Entry 03 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    The last entry of the generation and the last to be helmed by the series original creators. The third game didn't deliver as impressive a visual leap as the second game mostly due to how little the host system had left to offer but a heavy focus on European and sand based locations created variety from the previous game. With an expanded multiplayer mode the games tale of an ever weary Drake added new moves and was critically acclaimed on release, also outselling the lifetime sales of the first entry within days. The main criticism on release came regarding changes to the aiming controls however this was soon patched out and the aiming system from the second game reinstated. The complaint persisted for a long while despite the patch arriving around 4 weeks post-release. Lifetime sales for the game would go on to be only slightly behind the second game.

Spin Off Entry 01 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    Formats: Playstation Vita
    Arriving soon after the third game came this handheld entry that aimed to showcase Sony's new portable by not downsizing the franchise experience and instead offering a full adventure in the palm of your hands. The game did make obvious cuts to its visuals and scale but the small screen masked a lot of this and the transition was impressively close. An entirely new game, it included touch and motion controls which went down less well and the game received slightly lowered scores because of this. It remains to this day solely available on the handheld having been left out of later remasters.

Mainline Entry 04 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    Formats: Playstation 4
    Standing as the sole main entry of this generation, the fourth game also aimed to wrap up the tale of Nate. Typically Naughty Dog hadn't carried franchises over to the next generation of consoles so a fourth games existence was impressive and showed the clout the series had built. Internal scuffles and changes meant the final product was influenced by those who wrapped it up, the studios B-Team responsible for the highly successful Last of Us and the game shows this in some small ways. Once again a format visual showcase, the game expands Nate's moves again and folds those additions into the latest multiplayer mode. The game was yet another to receive widespread acclaim on its release and it now stands as the highest selling entry.

Spin Off Entry 02 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    Formats: Playstation 4
    Born as DLC for the fourth game, Naughty Dog expanded the experience and sold this as a stand alone title in lieu of the fifth entry. Following on from the fourth games events, the new title focused on Chloe instead as the lead going on a relatively similar adventure given the reuse of assets from the main game. Well received again it suffered a little due to issues being raised over how little it offered that went beyond the fourth game despite that not being the point of the project. The series now waits in a rested state though Naughty Dog remains open to the idea of continuing the franchise beyond Nathan Drake.

Share your thoughts and memories of the Uncharted series

I'm out at lunch with the wife and kids at the moment.

Be under no illusion that I shall return to this thread and gush uncontrollably later on.

Comment

A very impressive series that I now no longer care about, or this style of game in general but I think that's me rather than the game. I just finished 4 and don't remember an awful lot about it apart from it looking pretty and being somewhat dull to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        looking pretty and being somewhat dull to play.
        This sums up my feelings on the series. I gave up on the first game after a few hours as a result and haven't been back to it yet.

Comment

Uncharted 2 > 1 & 3.

Not played 4 yet.

Comment

In a way UC1 is a hard one to properly have the same perspective of as the others as the expectations were very different going in. It's certainly the clunkiest in a way but as a first pass it was fun and incredibly well done.

UC2 is a spot on sequel, well balanced between quiet and action sections, visually incredibly strong and still the series peak.

UC3 really is ragged on far too much, it's not different enough from UC2 to be as much of a let down as is often made out.

I struggled more with UGA for a long while but my recent replay was enjoyable even if it's understandably not as strong as the main games.

I need to revisit UC4 but the crux of that game is it felt clearly a product of a different team with a less likeable tone, much weaker pacing and too much of a nod to trying to appease online whiners about how much these adventures and killing should weigh on Nate. The answer? Almost not at all. It's gamings Indiana Jones, I don't want to see Indy have an existential crisis, it's missing the tone and point of the franchise. A gorgeous, competent but slightly depressing closure for a character that never needed it.

Comment

Most likely my favourite game series of all time, though I expect this thread will contain far more negativity than positivity toward them! Probably once a year I'll sit down over the space of some time off and just play them all back to back. (September this year when my wife is in Canada for ten days without me!) I actually played the second one first, as at the time I hadn't owned a PS3 for a while. Once I got hooked on these games the PS3 has been a fixture in the house ever since. I would say at this point that maybe the third is my favourite against popular opinion, but I've enjoyed them all. Even the spin off Lost Legacy was great.

Comment

Yup, Lost Legacy was surprisingly decent. It was so closely modelled on UC4 but because it was so lean the bits that got the chop were all the weak bits of UC4

Comment

I really enjoyed all these games. I didn't play the first three properly till the PS3 rerelease, then did them all on the trot before 4.

Of the first 3, 2 is definitely the standout for me. It represents a huge leap over the first game in every department, most significantly in how thrilling and involving the set pieces were. It was a bloody difficult act to follow, and while 3 wasn't quite as good, it's still a great game. I liked the lost city part at the end in particular in that one.

4 I really liked. What's cool about it is that they found a way to step the series forward without simply making things bigger and better. 2 nailed that comprehensively, and 3 tried it but came up a little short. For 4 they had to find a slightly different path, and I think they did it well.

There's some really memorable stuff in 4 - the jeep section, and in particular the section at the fancy auction at the chateau - that I felt took the core elements of the Uncharted formula and presented them in a fresh way.

The other step forward lay for me lay in the storytelling. I don't need or want Drake to have an existential crisis, but to portray him with some depth, to give him flaws and explore those a little in the dialogue and his interactions with other characters, contributed to making it a well rounded, three dimensional experience. The ending was a bit schmaltzy though.

A terrific series overall. Not a duffer in there.
                  Last edited by wakka; 21-08-2018, 23:23.

Comment

For me just absolutely sublime games to play.

They are exactly what I want from a single player narrative driven experience. Like [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] I'll play through them once a year just because. I find them comfortable. Like an old film from your childhood that is on TV on a Saturday morning that you just get caught up in.

For me, to rank them, it probably goes:

2, Lost Legacy, 4, 3, 1, Golden Abyss.

3 does seem to get a drubbing in some circles but I wonder if that's to do with the young Drake flashbacks and attempts to change things a bit.

4 definitely feels more like TLOU in some respects. The more measured pace and talky bits as well as feeling more grounded (even if it is still about hidden treasure) made it a different beast but one that I still think may be the finest game so far this generation.

Comment

I genuinely can't name another series of games where I care about the characters or I'm as involved in the story. It's one of the reasons I love it so much and it means more to me despite its gameplay flaws which I don't deny. When I bought Uncharted 2, I started playing it while my mum was in the house, she became so hooked on watching me play it that she was irked when I did a whole section without her being there, that says a lot about the level of storytelling that someone who doesn't care about games gets immersed.

Uncharted irk: ****ing idiots who call it unchartered, who even own the games. Read the ****ing box, look at the screen when you play!

Comment

We're going old school again next week:

Clue: My opponent is my canvas, my fist is my brush

Comment

Let's not forgot the Vita Uncharted card game ... Actually, let's.

Comment

Loved the second one; hated the third due to the early aiming debacle. First was decent , the forth was great (especially the multiplayer). Haven’t tried the latest one yet. Overall abit too much forced humour, and drakes ‘no, no ,no’, drives me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              Clue: My opponent is my canvas, my fist is my brush
                              Mario Paint!

Comment

Working...
                              X