No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pop n controller arrived, gave it a test to check it worked then got that sucker in pieces to give it the salon treatment to get rid of those brassy highlights with some 40% volume peroxide cream.

As you can see it's the super limited creamy plastic edition, the plastic is supposed to match the white buttons. In hindsight i should have just got the yellow limited edition one lol.

The salon is now open, the top half is currently having the bejeesus irradiated out of it in the tent of uv. No idea how many hours to leave it in there may keep it on till midnight then have a peek.

Comment

If you ever want a second one for whatever reason (worse yellowing!) I have one I’d let go for not much.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        If you ever want a second one for whatever reason (worse yellowing!) I have one I’d let go for not much.
        If i somehow destroy this one i may take you up on the offer, pulled it out after a few hours to see how it's doing it's already a lot lighter than the bottom half so it's working. I know the uv curing lamp i use for my resin craft is pretty powerful as there's 4 26 watt uv bulbs in there but compared to real sunshine i have no idea how many hours it's going to take to fully go back to original white. Might take a few days for each half of the shell.

Comment

Oh man, I'd love to give this series a proper shake with the controller. I have the PSP games but the loading, especially on the first game is horrific.

Comment

It's one of those games that you really do need the proper controller. Even on the first game where the songs are not that manic it's still really clunky and hard to play using the dualshock i dread to think what the proper crazy songs would be like on a pad. Sure it's useable but not how the game was intended, bit like playing DDR on a joypad.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              leave it in there may keep it on till midnight then have a peek.

Comment

For sure, even the 5 button layout can get tricky when the difficulty ramps up.

Comment

Had about 8 hours in total so far and it's already several shades lighter, not too bad. Made a better box to do it in to max the exposure all over. Radiation tent mk2 lol

The treated half is the top one the bottom of the controller still needs doing

Comment

. Radiation tent mk2 lol

It looks a bit better, but I think you should definitely give it another treatment. You just have to see what people manage to do with yellow PC Engines.

Comment

Oh it's getting multiple treatments till it's back to white.

Comment

Had about 8 hours in total so far and it's already several shades lighter, not too bad. Made a better box to do it in to max the exposure all over. Radiation tent mk2 lol

The treated half is the top one the bottom of the controller still needs doing
                        How are you doing the whitening inside?
                        What are you applying to it?
                        I tried using hydrogen peroxide earlier this year on some old controllers, painted it on and sealed in clear plastic bags and left outside for the daytime when there was a bit of sun.
                        Had to do it a couple of times, worked ok, but not as good as l hoped.
                        Wondered if your method was better?

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
                          How are you doing the whitening inside?
                          What are you applying to it?
                          I tried using hydrogen peroxide earlier this year on some old controllers, painted it on and sealed in clear plastic bags and left outside for the daytime when there was a bit of sun.
                          Had to do it a couple of times, worked ok, but not as good as l hoped.
                          Wondered if your method was better?
                          im using 12% 40 volume peroxide cream got a litre bottle off amazon for £6 although it's now at £10 the stronger you can get it the faster it will work.

Just have my controller shells covered in a even layer of cream then in a huge ziplock bag.

I'm also using my UV resin curing lamp for the UV source, im using one like this.

Basically i have lined a box with tin foil and now have the lamp above with the bottom tray of the lamp removed so the light can get down, i have put my controller on a stand underneath so the light can reflect under it too. It's not as good as proper sunlight but in the uk it's not like we are getting much. This is slower but it seems to be working.

Comment

im using 12% 40 volume peroxide cream got a litre bottle off amazon for £6 although it's now at £10 the stronger you can get it the faster it will work.

Just have my controller shells covered in a even layer of cream then in a huge ziplock bag.

I'm also using my UV resin curing lamp for the UV source, im using one like this.

Basically i have lined a box with tin foil and now have the lamp above with the bottom tray of the lamp removed so the light can get down, i have put my controller on a stand underneath so the light can reflect under it too. It's not as good as proper sunlight but in the uk it's not like we are getting much. This is slower but it seems to be working.

Thanks a lot, that peroxide cream looks good. I remember trying to find peroxide cream on amazon but for some reason I couldn’t find it listed.
                            The UV lamp is a great idea as relying on British weather for UV is quite frustrating. I had to wait for it not to be overcast in late December when I tried my method and it took a while!

Comment

So far 40 volume is the strongest peroxide i have found so far, it seems to stick well to stuff. The only thing i'll say about using a uv light is don't let the light shine on anything you don't want to risk fading. I'm doing it in my room so i have taken steps to block off the light reaching my collection.

Comment

Nice UV setup :-)

I’ve had some deliveries the last couple of days, first up is thanks to a thread on here making me reminisce.

I forgot Japan got black light guns!

Although I think Sega put a yellow trigger and button on a later release. Had some amazing fun on Virtua Cop 2. Will research other games at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X