• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling Down is great!

Comment

I’m... the bad guy?

Comment

The arrival yesterday of the first trailer for Todd Phillips’ “Joker” film has caused much chatter and discussion in its wake, along with countless comparisons to some of Scorsese’s early masterpieces – most notably his pitch-black satire “The King of Comedy”. Robert De Niro starred in ‘King’ as Rupert Pupkin, a mentally-deranged wannabe comedian who […]

De Niro says the film shares a non-literal connection with his previous film The King of Comedy

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          Falling Down is great!
          The film was pitched as an ordinary guy who has a bad day. But he wasn't ordinary.

I would hope Joker does something different to that. I don't want Falling Clown.

Comment

I liked most of Falling Down. Until they clumsily introduce the Frederic Forrest racist character. And then turn D-Fens into a mere psycho-with-a-hostage at the end. I think the first half was pretty decent, easy to forget it's Joel Schumacher who's directing...but as usual, The Man With The Shidas Touch shides all over it and turns his first semi-decent movie into a clinker-encrusted curate's egg.

Comment

The final trailer:

Comment

So hyped to see this film. I still can't believe such an original, leftfield vision of a gigantic licence was ever green lit. Amazing stuff. Phoenix looks on top form too ... the guy is intense.

Comment

I'll wait to hear more about it but I suspect the film isn't for me. I felt on the first trailer like it risked representing exactly what we don't need right now and this final trailer really makes out like that's exactly what it is - man feels sad and ignored because people aren't nice to him and so resorts to violence and gains wonderful notoriety in the process. That's pretty much every school shooter and I don't think I want to see something that appears to revel in that. Now, this film may very well not revel in it - marketing material often doesn't capture the real intent - but it's what's in the trailers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    I'll wait to hear more about it but I suspect the film isn't for me. I felt on the first trailer like it risked representing exactly what we don't need right now and this final trailer really makes out like that's exactly what it is - man feels sad and ignored because people aren't nice to him and so resorts to violence and gains wonderful notoriety in the process. That's pretty much every school shooter and I don't think I want to see something that appears to revel in that. Now, this film may very well not revel in it - marketing material often doesn't capture the real intent - but it's what's in the trailers.
                    I've seen people saying that the review doing the rounds on Twitter that called it "an incel's fantasy" was really unfair. That being said, I'm not seeing it for less thoughtful reasons; it's simply that I don't have an interest in a spin-off movie about the Joker, no matter how good.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I've seen people saying that the review doing the rounds on Twitter that called it "an incel's fantasy" was really unfair.
                      That's reassuring. I didn't know there was a review calling it that but good that it doesn't seem to reflect the experience of most viewers. And that's the thing - often marketing is selling one thing while the movie sells something else entirely. That's why it would be wrong to write it off on trailer alone. It's a touchy subject though and a tricky one.

I get what you're saying about the Joker spin-off and I imagine you're not alone but I think the flip side of that is that this movie would be a little known barely-seen arthouse movie had it not got the Joker name attached. I think that's the only reason most people know this exists.

Comment

I'm basing my excitement mainly on the Empire review. I kind of trust them after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          I'm basing my excitement mainly on the Empire review. I kind of trust them after all these years.
                          The Ambulance
                          Superman Returns
                          Desperately Seeking Susan
                          Monkey Shines
                          Intolerable Cruelty
                          Crash
                          Monsters
                          Candyman
                          Bad Lieutenant

Okay, opinions are like arseholes, (everybody's got one and it's usually full of ****) but I'm also failing to see the appeal of this.

For three reasons:
                          1. It looks a lot like Taxi Driver - especially with the muted colours.
                          2. Same as DR, with the parallels with mass shooters getting publicity.
                          3. They've learned nothing from the Lego Batman Movie where Batman realises he is nothing without the Joker and vice versa.

I should clarify I've not seen the latest trailer as I find they're major spoilers.

Comment

I'll make my mind up when I see it ... but I'm allowed to at least feel some hype when I see a 5-star review in a mag I read. I'm sure many of us have done that before.

Comment

Yeah, just to be clear I'm not in any way saying that someone shouldn't want to see it or shouldn't be hyped for it. Only that it doesn't seem to be for me.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, not trying to temper your excitement, mate.
                                I started replying before everyone else put the boot in too!
                                Basically, I was going to ask what it was that's exciting you as it's leaving me cold, but you've answered that now, cheers.

My mates want to see it and I'll probably go because of FOMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X