User Tag List

Page 118 of 124 FirstFirst ... 18108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1238
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesr View Post
    Can you jailbreak it and find the offending stuff, kill it and then factory restore without the jailbreak?
    Or just, update?

I'm on an iPhone 6 with the latest iOS update installed and it hasn't crippled my phone at all. In fact, I'm surprised how well my phone does run considering that the A9 chip is getting on a bit and the unit only has 1GB of RAM.

Hard to fault the handset to be honest.

So work has let me have Friday off and I plan to attack the M25 in the morning somehow in a 6+ hour drive. Since moving south I've flown and gone by train so, as I'm planning to drive up at Christmas, this will give me some practice!

Right, this is going to be an enormous generalisation, so I hope I don't offend anyone - but a major irk for me is the American tech blogger prediliction to refer to things which didn't see success in the USA as "failed".

I have seen three examples in recent times - Minidisc, the Wonderswan and VideoCD.

American sources always describe them as "failed". Here's an example in the case of the Wonderswan.

It's emblematic of the ignorance that American commenters often show about that pesky "rest of the world". They can't seem to grasp the idea that something could be a flop in the States, massive in other parts of the world, and that is still a success; as if how well something does in America is the ultimate arbiter of whether it's worthwhile or not.

It's a mistake US tech bloggers seem to make time and time again, and in my eyes it really shows them up when they do it, and I doubt they even realise it.

To a lesser degree, there's also the way people sometimes describe something as "failed" if it was not the absolute top dog product. A really good example of this is the DS vs the PSP; I regularly see people online who believe the PSP was a failure. The Wonderswan is another example, where fine, it was no Game Boy Color, but calling it a failure is simply wrong.

Minidisc is the funny one. It "failed" because MP3 players came along, apparently... It was around for twenty years! It had hundreds of pieces of hardware from a dozen manufacturers!

Seriously, people, if you position yourself as a tech blogger, can you at least know a bit about the hardware you're writing about? Even Wikipedia?
    Last edited by Asura; 13-09-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Yep. This goes well beyond tech blogging. Western society is largely seen and evaluated through an American lens. For example, representation in media is evaluated with US race splits in mind and the sensitivities of a nation of white people who forcibly removed people from their home countries, made them work as slaves for generations and still had segregation up until the '60s. While we all have our race problems and histories (and we DO), evaluating things through a US lens is neither accurate nor fair (I know of a game mostly set in an African country that was being made for a US client and they had to get all the background characters to perfectly represent the racial ratios that one would find in a US state...).

Yes, the PSP is a great example. I'm always amazed by just how many units that thing shifted. In no way could that system be considered a failure.

And yet the US doesn't have electric kettles for the most part so I'm not sure they should be considered the authority on many things.

Ha. Year. PSP always makes me chuckle. Constantly referred to by US scribblers as a MASSIVE FAILURE.

It sold near 90million units you morons. It was a big success and more importantly generated serious profit for Sony.

I wish I could fail that well with a product

Quote Originally Posted by charlesr View Post
    Can you jailbreak it and find the offending stuff, kill it and then factory restore without the jailbreak?
    Factory restore would clear the cached data anyway so he wouldn't need to jailbreak.

Ah must have misread. I thought it was persisting through a restore, but maybe that was someone else (been looking at a lot of phone threads recently)

Dismissing regions other than America is a folly as Europe is almost the same and it's estimated nearly half of all consumer spend on games will come from the APAC region.
    https://newzoo.com/insights/articles...ile-taking-42/

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Dismissing regions other than America is a folly as Europe is almost the same and it's estimated nearly half of all consumer spend on games will come from the APAC region.
    This is true - unfortunately though, those figures are a bit deceptive. Huge amounts of that APAC cash lies in the area of browser games, freemium mobile games and MMOs for the Chinese market, which most pundits consider "walled off" - culturally they don't cross over. It's almost like a totally separate industry.

The USA has a lot of clout in terms of game demographics because it's seen as the largest group to have "cultural alignment" (certainly parts of the US like different things, but they're aligned much more closely than, say, China and Korea).

Yeah, well, where's your pie chart, smart guy? Eh? EH?