No announcement yet.

Mega Drive Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All these wee slip ups made Sega seem more human rather than a big faceless corporation. It’s one of the things that has made me a bit of a Sega fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      In the true spirit of Sega they have to release flawed hardware. Dreamcast aside all of their consoles had some flaw eg not connecting up the sound chip properly, CPU too slow to feed the VDP etc.
      Dreamcast consoles are surprisingly fragile. They don't look it, but they really are.

Comment

Yeah, I've heard this. I've never had a problem with mine but, since hearing about a lot of people who have had trouble, I've been pretty terrified of it dying as I have only one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Dreamcast consoles are surprisingly fragile. They don't look it, but they really are.
          The Dreamcast is near SONY levels of hardware incompetence; Poor Lens and very fragile analogue triggers, plus it was so easy to scatch and mark a CD on the Japanese units (before SEGA fitted the velvet protectors around the CD drive ) and like SONY Pro the system sounds like a Jet engine when powered on. Also, I've quite a few developers say its memory bus, was super slow. But who cared the rest of the system and its games were bloody awesome

That's the SEGA style, all seat of your pants stuff and why I loved them. SEGA just went for it; like the logo on the staff, T-shirts used to say. 'It may not work, but what the hell'

RIP Isao Okawa

Comment

Which has been the most reliable console in the history of console gaming consoles?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Which has been the most reliable console in the history of console gaming consoles?
              I would venture the original Game Boy:

Visit our Ripley’s Believe It or Not! aquariums and attractions, today. Immerse yourself in a world of wonder and create memories with your friends and family.

Though in general, all consoles pre-CD are more robust than those that came after; CD consoles have moving parts, with motors that spin at high speeds. A SNES is pretty robust because it has no moving components, no hard drive, not even an internal memory which could fail.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                Atari 2600?. One of the 1st and still works

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Atari 2600?. One of the 1st and still works
                  Yeah, I have one(modded for RGB) that still works perfectly. I read that they were really well constructed in the 70s before later versions cut corners.

My original FZ-1 3DO from 1994 is still going strong. I guess the build quality is partly why it cost around $700 at launch.

Hopefully my Dreamcast will last for decades to come now that it has a GDEMU, but old capacitors will probably pop at some point. I have multiple machines in reserve.

Comment

I think the western Mega Drive Mini should have had a few more shoot 'em ups, such as Bio-Hazard Battle from Sega. It's such a great shooter that deserves more recognition.

One of the Lotus/Top Gear games would also have been nice, seeing arcade style racers are such a special part of that era of gaming. OutRun 2019 is also quite fun.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-06-2019, 11:36.

Comment

Outrun 2019 is on the Asian version.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                        Outrun 2019 is on the Asian version.
                        Does the Japanese Mini have an option for English text?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          Does the Japanese Mini have an option for English text?
                          All versions have multiple languages.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            I will try to buy the Japanese version then. The Mega CD unit also looks tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                              So do they all contain separate ROMs or are they all custom modified? With M2 involved, I guess they could all be modified.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                So do they all contain separate ROMs or are they all custom modified? With M2 involved, I guess they could all be modified.
                                They behave as though carts would, so I’m assuming that they’re custom. Either that or there are two different versions that are selected dependant on region.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X