No announcement yet.

Replacing the OS hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS won't let me download it because the copy was preinstalled on my system. So I'm getting in touch with the makers of the system to see if they can help me out. I don't know enough to even consider Linux!

Edit: Looks like I might be forced up to Windows 10 because getting a bootable anything for my copy of Windows 7 seems too difficult. Not sure yet if that means I'll have to pay for it or if I can just upgrade what I have. Anyway, Windows 10 should at least get me a bootable USB I can have ready for when I have my drive replaced (I'll be like a toddler performing brain surgery for that).

Another edit: I haven't done anything like this in years. Will I have driver issues with the motherboard and stuff like that or does Windows take care of all that as long as it can boot?
    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 15-11-2018, 18:13.

Comment

You might have an outdated GPU driver but otherwise you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Comment

You can use any site to download the ISO, just make sure you install the version for your license key

Comment

Who has DVDs to burn knocking about any more?! I really wanted a USB. Seems to do that, I have to upgrade to Windows 10 because of the way my system is set up.

But does a computer even read USBs without any OS working? When I replace my hard drive, it will be an empty hard drive so what will boot? Or does it all come straight from the motherboard somehow? I know nothing.

Comment

Should boot from usb if < 10 years old

Comment

Cool. It's less than three years old so that's okay. Thank you!

Comment

If not sure how to make a bootable usb stick look for some software called Etcher. I’m pretty sure that was the easiest thing I found to do it mate.

Comment

Yes, Etcher should be able to make a bootable USB from an ISO.

Depending on the BIOS, you'll either be able to see the USB stick as a bootable drive (which should be the case on most newish machines), or it may be listed as a HDD and you'll need to set that as the first priority drive in the HDD boot listing.

Some machines can be a bit finicky as to which USB port they'll boot from, so if it doesn't show up in the BIOS in one slot, try another.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 15-11-2018, 19:50.

Comment

Great, thanks guys. I have a new drive ordered. I managed to find a way into the computer again from the ASUS bios screen so it’s still alive but I’ll replace the drive and get this all done and overwith as soon as it arrives.

Comment

Had to replace os drive recently, with my recent upgrade got a m.2 drive and set up usb windows 10 stick and was blown away how quick and painless it was. What i found so cool was that as i had saved all my details in google chrome as soon as i loaded it up on new drive everything had carried over, book marks, saved passwords etc. Also steam was simple to set up as drive names had changed but was really simple to set up to find where the installs were

Comment

Bit late now, but never scan a drive you think is failing until you are sure you have all the data you need off it. A full scan normally destroys the drive

Never try to clone Windows either. Always new installation.

Comment

Wow, I never considered that!

As for the recovery partition, there’s usually a message on first boot or in the manual that you need to burn it to DVD(or maybe USB these days) as soon as you can. Manufacturers do this to save money on discs they figure most people will never use(or to just pass that responsibility onto the customer).

Reckon there’s a chance you can try making a recovery USB now while windows is still booting? It should be an application in the start menu, usually under a folder named after your manufacturer. It’ll be less hassle than a clean windows 7 or 10 install and you won’t need your windows key.

Speaking of which, isn’t the key on a label on the computer somewhere? It should be. If it isn’t, then it’s likely the Windows installed uses a generic key. I’ve come across a few of those in my time.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Bit late now, but never scan a drive you think is failing until you are sure you have all the data you need off it. A full scan normally destroys the drive
                            Really? Why would that be?
                            [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] - Yeah, I have the product key, which was on a label. But because I'm on Windows 7, it seems to want to make disks rather than USBs for recovery and just about everything is failing when I try. I was going to have to go Windows 10 sooner or later so have downloaded the bootable USB stuff to do that. And according to the internet, valid Windows keys can still upgrade free to Windows 10. So I should be sorted.

Comment

Not sure, but it has happened to me twice. I guess it arrives at the knackered area and then gets confused so makes it worse.

Comment

Yeah, I guess if it tries to fix things on what is a fundamentally wrecked drive, I could see how that could happen. It’s funny, the only two times I have ever had a totally bricked computer were both caused by virus protection trying to remove a virus. Both back about 15 years ago when they were pretty rampant.

Comment

Working...
                                X