No announcement yet.

Super Mario Kart: Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as much as I like a quick blast on Mario Kart 8 I just find that the result of the race is always determined by the randomness of the items people get, no matter how well you race you can always end up last just out of pure bad luck. in Mario Kart (SNES) and Mario Kart 64 I always felt the best racers came first regardless of items ...Nintendo have basically turned a semi-skilled racer into an all out party game for the kiddies lol

Comment

Originally posted by gamelife View Post
      as much as I like a quick blast on Mario Kart 8 I just find that the result of the race is always determined by the randomness of the items people get,
      When I have online sessions -- I notice that some people dominate and come 1st or 2nd most of the time. There are people who really do have the knowledge and skills to beat most people.

So as much as MK8 can feel unfair and random, I think it's possible to learn the game and get really good at it. The reason I'm not very good at it, is because I haven't spent enough time with it. I'm sure that's the reason -- and it's not the game at fault.

We could talk about how the Mario Kart formula/style has changed over the years. SMK is clearly completely different to later MK games.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-11-2018, 12:51.

Comment

yeah I agree that there are players who can dominate and that comes with knowing the tracks inside out, I can usually come in the top 3 or 4 consistently but I've been playing Kart since SMK and consider myself pretty decent. but there are just times where regardless of skill you can end up in last place because of unfair item placement and adv given to players at the back...getting constant bullet bills etc lol

Comment

yeah I agree that there are players who can dominate and that comes with knowing the tracks inside out,
          Yeah, there really are uber players who can wipe the floor with everyone else. They've obviously learnt the game inside and out.

I can usually come in the top 3 or 4 consistently but I've been playing Kart since SMK and consider myself pretty decent.
          When I have the right set up(character & vehicle) and I totally concentrate, I can come 2nd or 3rd most of the time. If I just play around, not really focusing 100%, I come 3rd or 4th. MK8 really is a demanding game in many ways, so I don't think it's so easy to just stick to one plan and win. It's not a game where you can simply hone your skills and then be one of the best -- it takes a lot of dedication to learn how to be a top player.

I think the reason most people find themselves dropping into lower places, is because you can't afford to make any mistakes. You get savagely punished for making even little mistakes. So in a way, you could say it's very old school in how demanding it is. I know the weapons system can feel like a pain, but it's obvious that some players manage to always come in the top 3 despite that.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            I try for 12 secs on the first lap and then 10-11 secs for the remaining four. I think my fastest time was around the 56 second mark. I’d like to see the responsible HCG-101 podcaster get near that using no drift & brakes!
            That's seriously quick . Here's a shot of some times I got at Arcade Club a couple of years back. I thought I was pretty good! Since then, someone has shown me a way to cut a corner and keep speed by boosting over the dirt. Not done it yet tho:

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              F-Zero still looks and sounds amazing to this very day, It's one of those games that I love to play every month of so . I played Mario Kart on the Snes the other day and its aged in its Gfx (which weren't that great at the time) and in the gameplay. I felt the 3D of the N64 made the battle mode so much better, the 4 player window simply made it so much more fun and I loved the ability to hold the Z button down to use the shell as a shield
              I've always wondered; why is SMK always splitscreen? Like even in 1-player, they cover half the screen with a map.

It's not a technical constraint, because the 2-player mode and F-Zero kinda prove that the machine could've done it full-screen (in fact, isn't the "rear view", when selected, on the bottom screen?).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                in fact, isn't the "rear view", when selected, on the bottom screen?).
                Yeah, you can choose to see the 'rear view' on the bottom screen. SMK also uses a DSP chip, which F-Zero doesn't, so I don't know why it isn't full screen in 1-player mode. It's a shame we didn't get sequels to F-Zero & SMK using a really advanced chip to boost performance and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  I've always wondered; why is SMK always splitscreen? Like even in 1-player, they cover half the screen with a map.
                  Can only think it was put there so you could see what the AI was doing behind you, which I guess could be handy to some.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    As much as Sega and other coin-op companies were delivering truly stunning arcade racers, there were still a reasonable amount of decent racers in the home. The Lotus and Top Gear series were all pretty good. Stunt Car Racer was a very clever, unique racing game for the Amiga. F-Zero is total excellence. Super Mario Kart offered fun gameplay whether you're alone or with friends.
                    I loved F-Zero some and those racers on the Amiga

But beyond that -- the gameplay is nuanced enough to be really satisfying once you get used to what it demands from the player
                    It was fun and I enjoyed the 2 player mode, but after N64 Mario Kart I never wanted to go back to the SNES game. My brother was far more in the the game (and better at it) and I still have found memories of me and him watching Games World on SKY, where people posted up their best times/vids of Mario Kart (if lucky you'll be invited to recorded your time) and then my brother would look to try and equal or beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      but after N64 Mario Kart I never wanted to go back to the SNES game. My brother was far more in the the game (and better at it) and I still have found memories of me and him watching Games World on SKY, where people posted up their best times/vids of Mario Kart (if lucky you'll be invited to recorded your time) and then my brother would look to try and equal or beat them.
                      Lots of people prefer the style of MK64, as it offers a completely style of racing experience to SMK. The only time Nintendo went back to the SMK style is with Super Circuit on the GBA.

I'd like a new Mario Kart in the style of SMK. Lots of people really appreciate the tight, narrow tracks, and the way it feels to play. It would be great to have something that feels like SMK but with a modern sheen. Maybe some clever Indie dev will deliver that sort of karting experience.

Comment

Originally posted by zipper View Post
                        That's seriously quick . Here's a shot of some times I got at Arcade Club a couple of years back. I thought I was pretty good! Since then, someone has shown me a way to cut a corner and keep speed by boosting over the dirt. Not done it yet tho:
                        I’m not so sure. I don’t bother with the shortcut and only use the mushroom on the straight. I think even the star can slow you down when you are playing as Bowser/DKJ at full speed as the handling changes make it hard to keep a racing line.

Like I said, I think some of us are playing on a different level to the HCG-101 podcaster, hence why we ‘get’ it.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Like I said, I think some of us are playing on a different level to the HCG-101 podcaster, hence why we ‘get’ it.
                          Which is why I would never talk crap about games I don't know much about. If someone slated Ridge Racer for being a basic racer that doesn't require any skill -- and they thought powersliding wasn't a feature, they'd deserve to be heavily criticised. HG101 really talked crap about SMK, so I felt compelled to start this topic. It's nice to see that lots of people appreciate the finer aspects of the game.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I was sub-1'00, and that was on PAL. Let me get my CRT back up and running (along with an SD2SNES) and we can start a leaderboard.

I might just buy the loose cart.

Comment

Just to lay down the gauntlet for you guys:

Got an old mate coming over this weekend and we used to play this for nights on end BitD. So I ordered the NTSC version off eBay this week, it got delivered half hour ago, and not having played on proper hardware for years, I set this on my second try.

I pretty much did perfect laps but didn’t get any mushrooms so it should be beatable. Lap time was in the 11 on first lap and 10s for subsequent laps.

Comment

Originally posted by zipper View Post
                                For the record I didn’t touch the dirt when setting that time. Loses you too much speed. I think even with a mushroom I don’t touch it as to ensure you come off the dirt at full speed you have to activate it after you’ve hit the dirt, therefore losing some speed/time. If I’m lucky enough to get one when tearing around in first place then it’s on the long straight it gets activated.

Comment

Working...
                                X