Retro|Spective 057: Disaster Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 057: Disaster Report

Cities collapse around us as we take refuge and catch up on the latest intel from the...

Disaster Report

Mainline Entry 01 - Disaster Report / SOS: Final Escape
    Formats: Playstation 2
    A massive earthquake shatters the foundations of an island based city and suddenly its inhabitants are forced to desperately try to survive the dangers of their crumbling surroundings. Made by Irem, the low budget survival title instantly stood out with its survival theme as players watched their health and resourced water supplies to keep them going as they traversed the surrounding dangers. The game didn't make a huge impact on release but the concept was so unique that it wasn't long until a sequel came along. This first entry though is where most will have had their experience of the series.

Mainline Entry 02 - Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 2 / Raw Danger!
    Formats: Playstation 2
    Following on from the original, this sequel changed the earthquake to a flood and put the player in place of responsibility for six survivors. This time players had to manage systems whereby characters could suffer from extreme temperatures due to the cold waters, forcing you to find fresh clothes and food to keep their health up. Once again though the low budget approach led to mixed reviews and a more tepid response was met for this sequel.

Mainline Entry 03 - Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3
    Formats:
    Playstation Portable
    The third game was forced to shift to portable in order to hit the market and for this trilogy making effort that saw players take on the role of a boy and girl who find themselves trapped underground following a major earthquake. The management meter in this entry changed to be related to the characters stress levels with events and responses to conversations having an impact on the characters ability to cope with the life and death circumstances they are trapped in. The game received reasonably decent scores but never made it out of Japan. A full console sequel was cancelled soon after due to a real life tsunami that would have been around the same time as the tsunami focused fourth game.

Mainline Entry 04 - Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4: Summer Memories
    Formats:
    Playstation 4
    Delayed by seven years, the fourth entry hits shortly in Japan, the fourth game adds complexity to the escape scenarios by giving the player more options and the ability to traverse building interiors in search of survivors and escape routes. Despite the original concept, one of the games alterations has been to bring back the earthquake scenario, another being the introduction of PSVR compatibility.

Share your thoughts and memories of surviving Disaster Report

I guessed it would be this series of games, but I've never played any of them. It will be interesting to see what people think of them, then I might give one a go. But I don't think it's my sort of thing.

Comment

I played the first one on PS2 and I remember enjoying it. Great little import back in the day. The environments were pretty ambitious for the old PS2 hardware, but I suppose they're supposed to be shaky after a quake, right? Thinking back to playing it, it was the atmosphere I remember most fondly, very well done. Great concept for a game too. I didn't know there were ever any sequels.

Comment

Is it similar in anyway to I Am Alive? I've never played Disaster Report but I quite liked I Am Alive (until I accidentally deleted my save file).

Comment

The building blocks are similar but the execution is different I'd say. Despite the second game being translated I've only ever played the original, I didn't finish it either but the concept is still an interesting one. There's no combat, it's pretty much just survival focused and is pretty straightforward in how that's delivered

Comment

Clue for the next thread:

Clue
            - The Bell Across the Rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

Clue
              - The Bell Across the Rainbow
              I guess it's Twinbee?

Comment

Got it in one

Comment