X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club II: 51 - Rutger Hauer

Guinness tastes like tears in the rain

Rutger Hauer

Final ten time. Vote for the movie you feel is their best whilst also discussing their other work, your reasons for voting and thoughts on what is their weakest.

Some will have very long lists so some trimming will be required to focus on the key entries but broadly the main selection will be available each time.
    The Sensualist
    0%
    Hard to Remember
    0%
    The Year of Cancer
    0%
    Soldier of Orange
    0%
    Mysteries
    0%
    Woman in a Twilight Garden
    0%
    Nighthawks
    0%
    Blade Runner
    0%
    Eureka
    0%
    The Osterman Weekend
    0%
    Ladyhawke
    0%
    Flesh+Blood
    0%
    The Hitcher
    0%
    Wanted: Dead or Alive
    0%
    The Legend of the Holy Drinker
    0%
    Bloodhounds of Broadway
    0%
    Blind Fury
    0%
    Up to Date
    0%
    The Salute of the Jugger
    0%
    Wedlock
    0%
    Past Midnight
    0%
    Beyond Justice
    0%
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    0%
    Arctic Blue
    0%
    Surviving the Game
    0%
    Nostrodamus
    0%
    Blood of the Innocent
    0%
    Precious Find
    0%
    Omega Doom
    0%
    Knockin' on Heavens Door
    0%
    Blast
    0%
    Hemoglobin
    0%
    Armageddon
    0%
    Bone Daddy
    0%
    New World Disorder
    0%
    Partners in Crime
    0%
    Slowburn
    0%
    Lying in Wait
    0%
    Flying Virus
    0%
    Scorcher
    0%
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    0%
    Never Enough
    0%
    In the Shadow of the Cobra
    0%
    Sin City
    0%
    Batman Begins
    0%
    Mirror Wars: Reflection One
    0%
    Goal II: Living the Dream
    0%
    7eventy 5ive
    0%
    Dazzle
    0%
    Happiness Runs
    0%
    Hobo with a Shotgun
    0%
    The Mill and the Cross
    0%
    The Rite
    0%
    Black Butterflies
    0%

There are the obvious ones: Bladerunner, The Hitcher and Blind Fury. But the one I really enjoyed as a kid, and watched all the time was Split Second. Which doesn't seem to be on your list.
    I can only imagine its aged badly, it was pretty silly even back then. Might see if i can find it and watch it again.

Comment

Vale Rutger.

I loved Blind Fury, haven't seen it in years, would love to see how it holds up.

I've also got a massive soft spot for Flesh & Blood because of Tom Burlinson and Jack Thompson.

Comment

I'll be honest I didn't know he was in so many movies... I went for the Hitcher. Whilst he is excellent in Blade Runner I feel it's the Hitcher where it was his movie and it was brilliant because of it.

Comment

Lol at seeing "Bone Daddy" on that list. There's 90-odd minutes of my life I wanna claw back!

I'll say my most entertaining two are WEDLOCK and SURVIVING THE GAME. I remember both surprising me by being really really fun.

Comment

Wasn't he in a Dutch movie called SPETTERS? Very early Paul Verhoeven iirc with a bit of graphic sex in it (a tad). About bikers n stuff. Never seen it but used to read cult movie fanzines in the early 90s and it always got good reviews.

Comment

I remember watching a Rutger Hauer movie on TV here in Japan years ago. It was on during the day time which was strange. All I can remember was that he wore jumpers and it was set in snowy forest land in some scenes. Any idea what movie that was?

Comment

I've only seen bits of it probably about 30yrs back but I remember "The Osterman Weekend" having snowy bits. Maybe even a log cabin.

Probably wrong film but this is gonna be a process of elimination...

Comment

How about the Fatherland, deffo recomend this alternate nazi war win.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                    I've only seen bits of it probably about 30yrs back but I remember "The Osterman Weekend" having snowy bits. Maybe even a log cabin.

Probably wrong film but this is gonna be a process of elimination...
                    Ah, yes. I think that is the one. There was deffinety a log cabin in the film. Maybe made late 70s to mid 80s?

Comment

For me, Rutger's stand out performance was in The Hitcher. He was spookily menacing throughout. Such a haunting movie that I go back to every few years.

Comment

Working...
                      X