Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=2386]Family Fry[/MENTION] how did you watch it?

Comment

I watched it sitting in the dark with my headphones on.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        [MENTION=2386]Family Fry[/MENTION] how did you watch it?
        Heh. It's on Prime Video, mate.
        You can choose lights on or off, though.

Comment

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - had a film night last night, just me and our youngest, and watched this for the first time since opening week at the cinema. What I can appreciate now is just how well it's made. It holds up amazingly well. I love the noirish vibe too. And Zemekis is such a nostalgia hound, there's love of the period everywhere. Both really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Who Framed Roger Rabbit - had a film night last night, just me and our youngest, and watched this for the first time since opening week at the cinema. What I can appreciate now is just how well it's made. It holds up amazingly well. I love the noirish vibe too. And Zemekis is such a nostalgia hound, there's love of the period everywhere. Both really enjoyed it.
            I saw it at the flicks on opening week as well, lived up to all the hype at the time too.

I've got loads of leave to take so been having most of Feb/Mar off, been watching some telly, tonight finished off;
            Commando
            What a good film, no story but loads of Arnie one-liners and the lad himself wearing hardly any clothes but carrying half an infantry's weaponry (plus a pair of bins for good measure).
            Brought back loads of good memories, Rae Dawn Chong is a fitbit, some nice classic airliners to be seen in the airport shots, a really simple but memorable score and an awesome ending track by The Power Station.
            It puts Termy Genisys in a box and kicks it into the corner.

Comment

Bolt
              One of the Disney films the company seems to forget about even though it was the first of the new-era films in a way. Not too surprisingly given the set up isn't very Disney and it was an odd choice having Travolta in the lead but it's a solid enough little film

Comment

I watched The Purge last night. I haven’t seen any of those films before but the concept is intriguing. But while the film isn’t bad at all and does a fairly good job at being a tense home invasion story, I found it didn’t really deliver on the premise because it was so contained. But I also couldn’t help but question the whole premise. It seemed to draw attention to why this idea couldn’t work while also presenting a world in which it does.

Comment

Watched Pitch Perfect 2 last night. Really enjoyed it. It’s just like the first one - light, an easy watch and funny. Not much to it and that’s exactly what I needed.

The US remake of The Eye is on the horror channel right now. The original is a masterclass in tension and creepiness. Not even 20 minutes in and this version has it so wrong. Totally overblown thinking that random cuts and louder music make it scary. Won’t bother with the rest of it.

Comment

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night.

Just, no. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

The music bits we're good but the rest was rubbish. The baddie from Quantum Break as their manager, the Rev actor as their replacement manager. Incorrect chronology.

Rubbish.

Comment

Captain America: Civil War

Good stuff. It dealt with how the Avengers just leave after they've saved the world. Captain America himself was like America the country in not wanting to hand over permission to an international committee just in case. Ant-Man was a hoot, too.

Spiderman: Homecoming

Great stuff. I especially enjoyed the 'frantic' suburban van chase where the van was pretty much driving straight but Peter had no buildings to web swing from and had to roof-jump and fence-hop instead! I'm glad they introduced him in Civil War so we didn't need to go through the origin again. And Marisa Tomei, c'mon.

Thor: Ragnarok

Not bad. I don't really like the Thor films, though. It's as if they just don't know what to do with him. He's usually the butt of jokes but in this one he was cracking them and it just felt off.

I was digging the groovy 80's soundtrack and the colour scheme, and Jeff Goldblum was his wonderful self. Hulk spoke quite a lot in this. I'm not used to that so I don't know if he's always been able to say more than just 'Hulk smash' or if this was a quick way to develop the character. He had a weird autotune thing going on with his voice.

There was some really nice camera work in it during conversations. Lots of straight-on shots of the person talking, like an indie film. Like Eagle vs Shark. And bonus points for Banner's line "How many PhD's does Hulk have? Zero!".

Right then, just Infinity War and Wasp left before we're all caught up and ready for Captain Marvel this weekend. Might squeeze Black Panther in, too.

Comment

I streamed Animalympics last night (after having one too many) and I totally forgot how wonderful, funny and ace the cartoon was.

Comment

Is that the one where the lion and gazelle marathon runners eventually fall in love?

Comment

Wreck it Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet
                            Finally got around to seeing this and it holds up to the first film surprisingly well. It taps into some ideas that Disney movies don't commonly go into as well and the internet concept wasn't anywhere near as grating as I'd feared it could be. My only sticking point is that as nice and untypically Disney as the way the film ends is, it feels... incomplete. The film makers have said they're fairly open to leaving it where it is rather than making a third but I feel like one growing theme aside it leaves them in a worse place than they were and a third film to pull it all together would work well here.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Is that the one where the lion and gazelle marathon runners eventually fall in love?
                              Yep, that's the one. Classic film

Comment

Had a double bill of Halloween and Halloween last night.

Halloween (1978) looked by far the best I've ever seen it thanks to the tech ... especially such a dark film full of shadows. Still such an amazing watch. Can't wait to try some of Carpenter's other 4k remasters now.

I then watched The Night She Came Home between both films, which is a lovely doc film about a 2-day convention JLC did to raise money for charity.

Halloween (2018) is a direct sequel set 40 years later. I didn't expect it to match the brilliance of the first, but I did hope it would do itself justice. And it does. Number one, it's fun. It has the spirit intact and it was never boring. Couple of nice angles on the story explored too.

Quality double-bill

Comment

Working...
                                X