No announcement yet.

Oh God, It Hurts Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last of Us was next level. I don't get why most people gush over games like Gone Home or Life Is Strange, mediocre stories at best.

Last of Us though. The quality of the dialogue and acting is on another scale. When everything looks and feels so real, the acting needs to match it and in that game it just does. That opening section shocked me to my core at the time. A bold choice to do it and it was backed up with a superb cast that made it feel like it wasn't a game.

Other moments in games are Grandia. When Justin is wandering totally lost in the wilderness, trips over into a puddle and is sat wondering how he got where he was and what he is fighting for. Quite a moment.

Agro from Shadow of the Colossus. That moment.

Silent Hill 2, more shock than anything else .

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Good shout @Nico87 when I listen to the N:A soundtrack in the car it gives me goosebumps.

This thread is making me want to replay a ton of games.
      Aye, same

Comment

For me, the huge difference is that the gameplay was an obstacle to the story in Last of Us whereas it was integral to the storytelling in Gone Home and Life Is Strange. Remove all the gameplay from Last of Us and you still have the best of the story. It happened in cut scenes with the exception of that opening sequence.

Also Joel was an idiot.

Comment

Gone home and last of us is all I can think of. Generally games are bad at this but recently they’ve showed promise.

Comment

Rime actually got me quite choked up at times.

Slowly understanding what was unfolding and then the final realisation of the story actually had me bawling at one point.

Becoming a father has totally changed my perspective on some stuff.

Comment

Nothing. I'm hard as ****.

Although, just the mere mention of a dog movie makes me lose my breath as I try to hold back my tears. Alpha made me weep, despite having a great ending.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
              Becoming a father has totally changed my perspective on some stuff.
              Absolutely. Stores of child abuse, in particular, make me want to turn into a vigilante barbarian. I do my best to stay away.

Comment

I forgot one - Journey. Loved it.

Comment

Gone Home and Journey definitely got me. I'd also throw in To the Moon.

Notable for me are a couple that didn't land and were clearly expected to: The Last of Us (first bit of), and Brothers.

Comment

I can't think of many specific games that have moved me per say, although I can think of cut scenes or CGI (even game trailers) that definitely made an impact. That first Halo 3 e3 trailer for example; 'this is the way the world ends'. Goosebumps seeing that.

But one specific gaming moment was this silly quest in WoW. I only remember encountering it on a second character I was levelling. In a zone called the Eastern Plaguelands. There is this questline given out by a small girl NPC who wants you to find her doll.

She is dead, a ghost. Her father had turned evil. It's implied - I think - she doesn't know her fate.

I think because it wasn't that long after the birth of one of my daughters, it really tugged at the heartstrings. And I was very nearly crying (I'm man enough to admit this!).

Comment

Loving all these middle aged men (me included) talking about sobbing during their console playtime!

My wife used to enjoy tormenting me about killing collossi in SOTC. She'd say "Oh! How could you!? That poor creature was minding his own business and you just couldn't leave him be!".

We're not machines - we have feelings too, wimmin!

Comment

Just remembered Ouendan, that one song towards the end.

Comment

LoU still puzzles me, I can kind of go along with folks being invested in the relationship due to the time spent with the characters etc by the end. However, the opening section itself couldn't have been more hackneyed, clichéd and predictable. It was easier to see coming than that steam roller in Austin Powers and the daughter might as well have worn a T-Shirt labelled Cannon Fodder. The nature of the heavily scripted gameplay also added to remove any sense of desperate stakes it was trying to convey. Personally, the more time passes, the more that sequence stands out to me as one of the biggest failures in execution Naughty Dog has done since they started these blockbuster narrative games.

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Though I suspect it was intended to be followed up on more directly by a sequel, the end of PDS was bold enough to not be upbeat and that left a real lasting impression. Orta gave some follow up on it but though that game was great, the payoff from PDS was pretty much just fanservice.

Deadly Premonition - I know we have a bit of a running gag going (11/10!) about the game but accidental or not I found one of its biggest achievements beyond making you approach it slowly and grow fond of the town was how it made you grow attached to Deputy Sheriff Emily through highlighting the potential for a romantic link between her and York even if it never really explored it fully given the nature of York and the timeline the game takes place on. She's not even that central to the plot, mostly just a decent, level headed presence in a town of odd folk.

Her final scene... is gutting. It properly gave me a knot in my stomach and wasn't just very hard to take ending but it fully stripped away the tongue in cheek nature the game had until that point. I'm doubtful the clunky games impact would have been anywhere near as strong were it not for that scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            one of the biggest failures in execution Naughty Dog has done since they started these blockbuster narrative games.
                            Bigger than Nathan Drake being a treasure hunter, but if you removed the cutscenes, you'd instead think he was some kind of sociopathic mass-murderer?

Comment

Not a single game has come close to Ico, SotC or Last Guardian for emotional connection. They stand alone on that hill.

Comment

Stand out ones for me are:

Brothers and Deadly Premonition

Comment

Working...
                                X