This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    You're right but... I think it kind of was a weak system with dodgy games.
    People expected the Wii U to compete with the PS4, but that wasn't Nintendo's aim. The same with the Switch.

After the Wii U failed. people were still going on about "Nintendo need to compete with Sony", but the company still decided to deliver something less powerful and distinct.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    it feels to me like the WiiU was a rough draft of what the Switch became.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. When it comes to the Wii U, I can only say I think the tech was decent for its time. Lots of Wii U games look like a nice step up from 360/PS3 era tech. I still play MK8 and think it looks quite stunning.

Originally posted by wargame View Post
    If a fanboy like me didn't buy one until many years after launch i can see Nintendo had a up hill battle. It's almost like everything that they could have done wrong they did.
    I still think the Wii U could have done better if people hadn't sent out the message that the tech was weak, or maybe a joke. There was the idea that the Wii U was really terrible tech.

It's a shame because people tend to buy a Switch to go alongside the Xbox or PlayStation, so if they had had the same attitude towards the Wii U it would have done better. But I really think all the talk of the Wii U being rubbish tech put people off buying one.

I paid £199 for the Wii U MK8 pack in 2014 -- which also came with New Super Mario Bros. I think the machine deserved more support at that affordable price point. All the negativity thrown at it by people comparing the Wii U to the PS4 made lots of gamers think the Wii U was junk.

Of course, if the Wii U had been the Switch, it would have impressed people far more. It still managed to impress me though -- and I've had a lot of fun with it since 2014.

The Switch might have failed if it didn't have a long list of Wii U games to be re-released for it and the much acclaimed Breath of the Wild that was also Wii U title. Quite ironic really.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-02-2019, 11:26.

Comment

I still put the WiiU's failure entirely at the feet of Nintendo and the Wii. When the WiiU launches Nintendo were at their very laziest and they utterly failed with their branding, messaging and marketing with the console. They'd already pulled off being able to repackage a Gamecube and sell it to the masses so WiiU should have been an easy sell. WiiU isn't just a commercial failure, it's one of the biggest failures of Nintendo as a company in its entire history

Comment

The first announcements of any system count for a lot (see also: XBox One). When the WiiU was announced, nobody knew what it was.

Comment

Unless they were convinced it was the hundredth optional peripheral Nintendo was knocking out for the Wii

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            Unless they were convinced it was the hundredth optional peripheral Nintendo was knocking out for the Wii

Yeah, gotta agree - Wii U's failure was everything to do with Nintendo being lazy, complacent and arrogant with their approach to manufacturing and marketing the damn thing, plain and simple. Their fault and their fault alone.

If people put out the opinion that the tech was weak then that was because it quite clearly was weak and clumsily executed on several fronts.

Comment

When the WiiU launches Nintendo were at their very laziest and they utterly failed with their branding, messaging and marketing with the console.
              I totally agree that Nintendo got the marketing wrong. There was also a severe lack of AAA games.

I just think it's a shame that lots of people said the tech was terrible, simply because the PS4 is more powerful. Lots of people will always think part of the reason the Wii U failed was because the tech was rubbish. But the tech was actually pretty good, with the machine's best games really showing off how capable the hardware was.

It's a shame that so many YouTube gamers didn't counter that idea. A lot of gamers seemed to enjoy making fun of the Wii U by sending a message that said the Wii U tech was a joke.

Comment

It's probably one of the main sources of redemption for the WiiU's tech that Nintendo keeps rereleasing its games on the Switch and yet this time around no-one questions the visual quality of the titles. Nintendo did an excellent job of making the WiiU hardware visually sing with its major releases as opposed to Wii (Galaxy games aside) where they phoned their efforts in on that front most of the time.

The trouble with the Wii taps into the same trouble with the way Nintendo sales usually unfold. they had about 30 months of solid first party output and then put their feet up. As big as the Wii was it rode a strong 2007-2010ish and then in the following 2010-2012 window lost far too much of its audience. It was like Nintendo figured they'd sold 100m units so 100m people would turn up for anything they slapped the Wii brand name on next.

I mean, it's great for Nintendo that they have these 'evergreen' titles but it sucks for gamers. Mario Kart 8 getting a second lease of life is great and it could eventually go on to sell 35m+ units etc but it also means it could be a 10yr+ gap from its original release until the next one. Whereas, if it sold like games normally do they'd have to be much more on top of their output frequency. It's a damned good job they put out such quality. It's the GTA5 problem. "Thank you for making our latest game such a huge success... that we won't have to release anything else related to it for another 15 years". That being said, if they were more frequent with their releases of notable new titles they'd probably have a more consistent business and not have every hardware transition be a dice roll as to whether it bombed or was a hit. It's an entire study as to how Microsoft and Nintendo operate without ever properly looking at how Sony has been able to enjoy largely consistent success.

Comment

Just had a couple of games on Tetris 99. It works really well ... prefect for a quick 10 min blast. Pretty intense once half the field is gone though ... only managed to place 24th so far.

Comment

Bloody hell what a great Direct!

Some great looking Switch games out this year.

Who'd have thunk it?!

Comment

What I'm pumped about - Fire Emblem, Astral Chain and Bloodstained.

What I'm indifferent about - Zelda: Link's Awakening remake, Super Mario Maker 2.

Come at me with your swords and spears, I'm all ears ; )
                      Last edited by Paddy; 14-02-2019, 18:41.

Comment

Astral Chain, Yoshi's, Fire Emblem, Link's Re-Awakening, Daemon X Machina.

Bloomin' marvellous.

Comment

It's probably one of the main sources of redemption for the WiiU's tech that Nintendo keeps rereleasing its games on the Switch
                          Yeah, it totally goes against the idea that the Wii U was weak tech that couldn't deliver impressive games. Wii U games running on the Switch still look really nice.

That being said, if they were more frequent with their releases of notable new titles they'd probably have a more consistent business and not have every hardware transition be a dice roll as to whether it bombed or was a hit. It's an entire study as to how Microsoft and Nintendo operate without ever properly looking at how Sony has been able to enjoy largely consistent success.
                          Nintendo, in the modern era, tend to have a lax attitude towards delivering 'must-have' launch titles and then lots of AAA games every year for people to get excited about. That was really apparent with the Wii U -- and it's very much the same with the Switch, seeing it's heavily reliant on Wii U ports.

Of course, most Nintendo games turn out to good or great. It's just a shame that Nintendo don't seem to be good at planning when it comes to making lots of games at a consistent rate that cover all genres.

I'd have definitely bought a Switch by now if there was a new F-Zero or Wave Race. They are Nintendo franchises that really appeal to me away from Mario Kart. I still play MK8 regularly on my Wii U.

Comment

Daemon X Machina.... it's very average game, terrible frame-rate, sound effects are bad, the art style that doesn't quite hide how ugly the environment is, other crimes are it's slow and boring with the huge auto aim box your given. At least things feel quite fast and dynamic on the ground as they gave the mecha all these nice little animations like pivoting around posts and vaulting small objects, however in the air it's incredibly slow and dull.

Mechs come with 4 equipment slots for weapons and slot for grenades, which from what i can tell are salvaged off enemy mecha (you click on a downed mecha and get a 1 pick of a selection of parts of it), i also find fighting any of the (stay alive) time limit bosses and the big boss i was often out of ammo with no way to restock with out some mooks appearing a set times to get melee'd. Once back from a mission you can swap on different salvage parts to a "ram memory" limit, nothing hardcore like weight limits or overheating.

Missions structure is similar to the later AC games, you're a Merc doing missions for various factions so you bump in to other pilots that have been allies/enemies in other missions.

To get me to buy they need to:
                            1) sort the frame-rate
                            2) redo flying
                            3) add a camera lock, at least for fighting named pilots
                            3) speed it all up

Comment

Tetris 99 could be the greatest game of all time though.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

[MENTION=938]Tobal[/MENTION] Those were my thoughts, too. I never get on with Unreal Engine games for some reason. They always seem really rough and massively under-optimised.

Going back to analogue aiming is bollocks as well. Why not incorporate gyro? Moving a reticule across a screen using a thumb stick feels extremely prehistoric.

Comment

Working...
                                X