Now confirmed Telltale Studios closing down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now confirmed Telltale Studios closing down

If true it sucks though there games was not my sort of thing, but really thinking probably some major mismanagement involved ,,,and hopefully the talent get scooped up by other developers

Last edited by eastyy; 21-09-2018, 21:47.

I saw it reported elsewhere that they have laid off a large number of staff but are keeping about 25 people. I don’t think anyone has the full story yet.

Comment

I know they had a lot of issues with their previous boss but I assumed the raft of output over the last few years, especially pretty well branded stuff, would have kept them afloat well enough unless the money went wandering...

Comment

Had a check elsewhere and it's really starting to look official. The Netflix Stranger Things deal apparently fell through and A Wolf Amongst Us: Season 2 has been cancelled. The remaining 25 staff will finish off The Walking Dead: Season 4 and then close the shutters permanently.

It's been mentioned that only 7 Days to Die and Minecraft: Story Mode made any money with the Batman seasons in particular proving a heavy commercial bomb to recover from.

It's already being recommended by fans that people snap up the seasons they're interested in as due to Telltale only releasing things like TWD season 1 etc on disc, the licensing nature of the games means they'll be pulled from sale digitally and never be available again.

One's I've yet to go through (sometimes despite how old they are now)

-Tales of Monkey Island
        -Walking Dead: Season 2
        -Walking Dead: Season 3
        -Walking Dead: Season 4
        -Walking Dead: Michonne
        -Tales of Borderlands
        -Batman: Enemy Within
        -Guardians of the Galaxy

For me though, despite all the talk of Walking Dead, it was all about the three Sam & Max seasons

Comment

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnpiAWBVsAAk7uv.jpg offical now

Comment

That’s a real shame. Terrible news for the team.

Comment

Selfish of me but now I’m wondering if their cloud saves will be shut down shortly. The Walking Dead games depend on them. As SF recommends, could be time to snap up the games but it’s possible some functionality or a least flexibility will be affected.

Given full seasons of the final season of Walking Dead have been sold, I wonder if that skeleton crew are finishing that? If I remember correctly, they have some other commitments so curious to know what can get done.

Edit: Around 250 people laid off. Given 30 minutes to leave the building. No severance pay. Yikes.
              Last edited by Dogg Thang; 22-09-2018, 09:08.

Comment

Also, seems to be that next week episode 2 of the final Walking Dead season will release and after that they won't be completing the rest of the season

Comment

Feel sorry for those that lost their jobs.

They never got the pc version of walking dead fixed, ever. And they didn’t care so I never bought anything from them again so maybe it’s my fault. I did like the idea of what they were doing but quality control was awful and they made too much too quickly and basically never had the infrastructure to support that so this was inevitable. Hopefully the staff can go on to create some cool stuff somewhere else.

Comment

The more I hear about this, the angrier I get - https://twitter.com/emilybuckshot/st...21927299813377

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Also, seems to be that next week episode 2 of the final Walking Dead season will release and after that they won't be completing the rest of the season
                      This would seem to put them in an even more difficult situation because people have paid for the full season and the company still exists and is operating while they finish Minecraft so not sure how this is going to work. The Walking Dead team must be gutted, especially with it being the last season. To have it stopped so close to completion will haunt them.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        The more I hear about this, the angrier I get - https://twitter.com/emilybuckshot/st...21927299813377
                        If there’s no money there’s no money. Can’t pay severance when the account is empty and the company is entering receivership, crap as it is that’s the way it goes when a company pops.

Comment

Yeah, except I guess it's not an overnight thing. Getting here would have been a slow process. And they have said the company is still going. It's not shuttering.

Edit: Pete Hawley, CEO, tweeted: "to be clear, we're not shutting down. As odd as that may sound, 25 of us will continue, foreseeable. I'll make further comment in the coming weeks."
                          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 22-09-2018, 10:28.

Comment

Can't say I'm too bothered. Maybe if they made games that were not a buggy mess more people would have stayed with them and bought new releases. I became so fed up with their games crapping out. The Walking Dead Season 3 was really messed up and The Wolf Within (excelent game) also had a lot of issues on both Xbox and Android. It's because of these problems I stopped buying their games.

Comment

Seems a lot of devs are offering positions which is great. Did laugh at the “we have loads of great QA guys”, erm, what did you have them doing? Because it either wasn’t QA, or you ignored their results!

Comment

Working...
                              X