Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    Wonder how long it will be before Suzuki is back begging for more money to add in other stuff. Can see it been like mighty disappointment number 9 where before it’s done they’ll be back begging for dlc funding.
    For me the bigger issue will be if the game feels like half a game and is just left hanging... which I have a very strong suspicion it will.

Comment

I don't know why they're so angry.

I mean, it's not like the game will ever come out.

Oh no he di'int!

Comment

Another kick starter dumpster fire I see. Good, goooooooood.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          Era has been vague on it, plenty times people have said that the cause of the outrage isn't having to use more storefronts but then not explaining what the problem is. Whatever it is, it's very specific to Epic
          I'm sure for some people it's to do with what benefit they gain from it. I think, as customers, saying "but it doesn't cost anything" doesn't cut it; plenty of stuff is free. For a customer, to try another store-front, that store-front needs to present something to them which they gain from adopting it. Orion and Ubi have offered free games and similar incentives. Epic's incentive has been that developers earn more, which is fine, but that doesn't do much for the customer. Also remember that people

Probably also worth remembering that part of the dislike of Epic comes from that weird undercurrent of PC gaming - those who hate Unreal, Unity and other proprietary engines - many of whom don't realise just how many games use them (like some people are still repeating the tired "it makes everything look like Gears of War argument which simply isn't true anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            For a customer, to try another store-front, that store-front needs to present something to them which they gain from adopting it.
            Seems Epic's answer to that is now: it has specific games they want to play on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Seems Epic's answer to that is now: it has specific games they want to play on it.
              This goes back to something for which I got chewed out over in another thread no-one likes exclusives. They like first-party games; there's a difference. If Epic fund some games which otherwise wouldn't exist, people would probably receive that better.

Comment

They say this but I don't buy it because people don't have that same problem with exclusives on consoles even if they aren't first party. If anything, they're always looking for the exclusives and will deride a console that doesn't have them.

Comment

I remember the Rise of the Tomb Raider debacle. PS4 owners didn't like that one. I am only just playing it now, in fact, now that it is cheap.

Epic is also cheaper for the customer, isn't it? Also correct me if Im wrong but the publishers are deciding to go with Epic. They are not buying anything or poaching games. Exclusivity is simply a requirement, at least for a time.

Comment

Anyway... I still want people to get up in arms over this and the Shenmue 1 and 2 collection not coming to Switch because I don't own a PS4. Who's with me? Anyone? Hello? Switch owners? No?

Seriously though, it would be nice to have these on Switch.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                      Epic is also cheaper for the customer, isn't it? Also correct me if Im wrong but the publishers are deciding to go with Epic. They are not buying anything or poaching games. Exclusivity is simply a requirement, at least for a time.
                      Yes, but they're doing so for three reasons:
                      1. Epic are giving them a higher % of the royalties than Steam
                      2. If the game is Unreal engine, the devs also get a discount on their licence fee.
                      3. No reviews at point-of-sale (this is the key thing)

The latter is important as publishers do not like Steam's open review system.

Comment

The latter is important as publishers do not like Steam's open review system.
                        Not helped by it getting completely abused, which Steam itself had to acknowledge when Borderlands 3 was announced as an Epic Store exclusive and Borderlands 2 on Steam was review bombed.

Comment

Yes, but they're doing so for three reasons
                          Damn it I'm trying to resist posting but I can't. There is a forth reason. Epic paying developers to keep the game off Steam. As Tim Sweeney admitted this week when Metro Exodus came to Game Pass and therefore the Windows Store.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          As a non-PC gamer, why are people so angry about using Epic?
                          The danger is this argument often goes around in circles. I think people on Era or here have listed solid reasons for why they don't like EGS. Higher prices where the key resellers are removed, games being removed from PC Games Anywhere and therefore Game Pass (as was the case with Ashen), Removal of features like in-home streaming, no Joypad support, no community market support, removal of ability to play ANY game on Linux (Proton) and removal of store support forums amongst other things.

Obviously some people won't regard these as a big deal, but for many they will. Personally I think the 'it's just any other' launcher is missing the detail of what's being debated. HOWEVER Epic don't really have much choice. They have to pursue exclusives.

Regard Kickstarter, I don't think people should be getting refunds personally. I guess it's difficult because when projects take so long platforms come and go. Although equally I'm sure some companies have abused crowdfunding and used it as a marketing tool. I just hope it doesn't hinder smaller projects getting funded or coming to market.

And personally I'd say ANY platform exclusive is anti-consumer or potentially bad. It doesn't matter if it's Tomb Raider on Xbox for 12-months, or the Marvel Avengers content exclusive to PlayStation. Ideally it shouldn't happen and it's anti-consumer. Again good on people for complaining.

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] I think Shenmue should be on as many platforms as possible. Choice is good. Bring it to Switch as well. Although Shenmue is a 'naff game, so maybe not...
                          Last edited by Digfox; 11-06-2019, 16:55.

Comment

There was a discussion on it here. The main point was that people like Steam's features and Epic doesn't have those same features - I get that but the game is still the game. Others didn't really hold up, like the idea that exclusives are bad for competition when, in reality, it's likely one of the only things that could make a store any kind of viable competitor to Steam and those same people will look for the exclusives on a console. That's about as much clarity as I could get on it.
                            Don't forget 'something something China'

The fact is it's a complete overreaction, every time. Classic PC gamers. I would never overreact like that, as a level headed console gamer.

Originally posted by Digfox
                            Although Shenmue is a 'naff game, so maybe not...

I HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL YOU MONSTER

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL YOU MONSTER

I'm joking...

Comment

Not helped by it getting completely abused, which Steam itself had to acknowledge when Borderlands 3 was announced as an Epic Store exclusive and Borderlands 2 on Steam was review bombed.
                                Going to be controversial here and say that it doesn't matter.

Reviews, to me, are not the domain of the publishers; they shouldn't concern themselves with them. Their only role in reviews is to provide products, and ensure they're the best they can be. If the customer wants to abuse them, or if the customer expresses themselves through them, I think that's fine, because it's the customer's space. The only exception is if you have customers leaving reviews that are fundamentally lies; i.e. they express things which are simply untrue (e.g. "this game causes PC hardware to fail, this game contains malware" etc.).

Comment

Working...
                                X