Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with some sort of cold virus on the 19 December, 17 days later it's still having at me. So, utterly - utterly beyond fed up with it at this point and frankly, it shot a great big whole through enjoying Xmas. Missus has it too now. It's okay though, we can book some more time off... in about five months.

Comment

Brother has been trying to shake off a minor cold for the last two weeks, sounds like the same thing.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Took 6 and a half hours to buy a "millennial" railcard.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Did they keep stopping to post selfies on Insta?

Comment

Something like that

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              It's a good idea, pity I'm twenty-four years too old to get one, it's not all bad news I'm only eleven years from a free bus pass.

Comment

Well, it certainly helps what with the train prices continually going up. I don't use the train a bunch but it'll pay for itself in no time so it's worth the hassle even though I don't agree with the hassle.

Comment

Is there a way to stop particular youtube content creators from being recommended to me, or from ever having to see their stupid faces ever again in my life? Thx.

Comment

Good question. Does YouTube have a block button? YouTube is a toilet. It's algorithm just recommends the worst of the worst to me no matter what I watch.

Comment

Yeah. Also I’m not signed in to it anywhere yet same recommendations on iPad phone laptop work pc etc.

Current ones are what I did to my $11000 Bentley, and a bunch of synthesiser videos but with stupid teenagers with a fake shocked face or holding a product out really close to the camera and looking moody in the background. I just want to delete these people entirely.

Comment

I get rubbish as well recommended by YouTube, I've asked Mr Google more than once in the past year or so and it doesn't look like you can stop the recommendations, it's still 'fine tuning' mine as I delete them all but still gives me utter rubbish.

Comment

You can click the three dots and press 'Not interested'. Seemed to work for me with most Youtube channels

Comment

Trying to hunt down an AES console without scratches. Why can't people take care of their stuff?? I really regret getting rid of my old one now.

Comment

Remember we were on the topic of devices tracking us or listening to us? Well I had another weird one and I can’t even imagine how it could happen other than coincidence but, given the speed at which it popped up as an ad and how familiar I have been with the ads previously served up, it would seem really astounding to be a coincidence. I was in a place yesterday that had a little square portable credit card machine - not the usual ones you see in shops, more like one intended for maybe normal people or tiny businesses. I don’t know because I haven’t seen many of them. It was different enough for me to notice it anyway. I didn’t comment on it, didn’t mention it and didn’t do anything other than look at it.

Straight after, I got an ad for the exact device served up on Instagram. These devices would have to be WiFi or Bluetooth connected so that’s the only way I can think that Instagram could connect me to one. Could Instagram be looking to identify close WiFi signals even when you don’t connect to them? Owned by Facebook, that’s probably a yes but I wouldn’t have expected it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Remember we were on the topic of devices tracking us or listening to us? Well I had another weird one and I can’t even imagine how it could happen other than coincidence but, given the speed at which it popped up as an ad and how familiar I have been with the ads previously served up, it would seem really astounding to be a coincidence. I was in a place yesterday that had a little square portable credit card machine - not the usual ones you see in shops, more like one intended for maybe normal people or tiny businesses. I don’t know because I haven’t seen many of them. It was different enough for me to notice it anyway. I didn’t comment on it, didn’t mention it and didn’t do anything other than look at it.

Straight after, I got an ad for the exact device served up on Instagram. These devices would have to be WiFi or Bluetooth connected so that’s the only way I can think that Instagram could connect me to one. Could Instagram be looking to identify close WiFi signals even when you don’t connect to them? Owned by Facebook, that’s probably a yes but I wouldn’t have expected it.
                                Is it an iZettle card machine? This one?

That's no mystery if so. You're an artist, right? You do commission work? Loads of artists and small crafting business use these; all the Etsy sorts of people have them. I even own one. You're probably just the right age/demographic by the various algorithms that measure these things; there's no need to "spy" on you as such.

They're also fantastic, if you were thinking of getting one. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

They've become extremely popular in the last 2-3 years and despite owning one, I see ads for them all the time. You've probably seen them for weeks but you just kinda tune them out; it's seeing one in real life that has "primed" you to notice the next ad.

You do get some weird ones. One of my friends has a Razer phone; I was thinking of getting one after seeing her use it, and the next day, a YouTube video came up in my recommendations talking about it. It seems spooky, but in retrospect it makes perfect sense - she owns a Razer phone; she's my age, likes what I like, plays much of the same videogames I play and uses the same social apps I use. In a demographic sense we're very similar. The rest is just coincidence; I was aware of the phone's existence before so I've obviously seen ads previously, just it's never really registered.
                                Last edited by Asura; 09-01-2019, 09:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X