Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to try that Harry Potter phone game but the only way it would let me know was with a Facebook account or google I think so I just won’t play it. It’d be the same with this. I just won’t do it out of principle. My gaming choices are becoming increasingly limited as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      I think the issue is more that it wasn't made clear before people bought it, it's an abnormal requirement for a game of that kind and buyers couldn't refund it if they didn't want to sign up. It isn't the aggro of actually doing it.
      Not sure you read the posts above mine. I wasn’t discussing the wider issue.

Comment

They're changing the login to optional:

However, their phrasing that "the login should be optional" is like they're trying to suggest it was a mistake; I don't personally buy that. I mean, screw-ups happen but that's an error of such magnitude (i.e. something which happens every time a fresh client boots) that I find that highly suspect. I think they underestimated the backlash (which is fair; I wouldn't have believed something like this would trend on Twitter!).

Comment

The fact that Doom 3 doesn’t require any login demonstrates enough of a lack of consistency to at least suggest that it’s possible that it was not meant to be completely mandatory. But it’s also just as likely (if not more) that version was the mistake because it seems they really wanted signups with these games.

As for underestimating a backlash and it trending on Twitter, have you met gamers?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Not sure you read the posts above mine. I wasn’t discussing the wider issue.
            I'll assume that you mean mine.
            Im not a warrior against log in accounts for games. Somewhere I have a U-Play account kicking around just for the added stuff in far cry. I'm saying that Bethesda adding in a login account for a 1990s game I can already play is needless and ****ty. I'm not even going to mention the DRM and the removal of the xbox BC versions which are also ultra bull****.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              I'll assume that you mean mine.
              I’m giving you a point and a wink here. I know you can’t see it but it’s a pretty cool gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                As for underestimating a backlash and it trending on Twitter, have you met gamers?
                Heh Still, there's kicking up a fuss, then there's a Twitter trend. I wouldn't have expected this to go that far.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  If it was doom Eternal I'd agree with you, but we are talking about 90's doom here. If you want to play it, there are free or alternative ways to do it.
                  So no issue then

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    I wanted to try that Harry Potter phone game but the only way it would let me know was with a Facebook account or google I think so I just won’t play it. It’d be the same with this. I just won’t do it out of principle. My gaming choices are becoming increasingly limited as a result.
                    But will log in to gaming forum that requires an email address

Comment

Another massive overreaction by the gaming community IMO. Just not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        But will log in to gaming forum that requires an email address
                        Try buying my data off Charles and see how far you get

Comment

I'm willing to bet, quite a lot of corps already have your e-mail address.

Comment

Out of curiosity, I sent Charles a tenner for this and he retains a surprising amount of information. Isn’t that right, Bradley Harrington of 7 Highton Place, aged 30-45 male, diploma-level educated, who loves sailing, dogs, bingo and romance novels and owns 457 beanie babies?

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              I'm willing to bet, quite a lot of corps already have your e-mail address.
                              Yes, hundreds of them. Not the same as giving facebook account access to Bethesda. I’ve been reducing my trackable internet footprint by not having facebook or google stuff. Would be pretty dumb of me to let the Harry Potter game provide one of them with data on me (because that’s what they’re doing). I don’t need to play it that badly!

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] has exposed me now anyway so it’s all moot!

Comment

Yes, hundreds of them. Not the same as giving facebook account access to Bethesda.
                                All you need is a password and email to log into Bethesda, no more than what any gaming forum asks.

I also love the irony of people using various internet work around to get classic Doom to work on modern PCs, that's so overlook how Doom helped to pioneer the internet with shareware and death match

Comment

Working...
                                X