Original Xbox Games on Xbox One X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Native 4K they are not. Native standard def, upscale to 4K. They look amazing considering their age but we’re all quite techy here so let’s get our terminology right.
    Ninja Gaiden "natively" renders at 16x it's original resolution. That's the same for all of the OG titles on X.
    So 3413*1920 for Ninja Gaiden, this is not an upscale.

So, not 4k but certainly closer to 4k than standard definition.

Comment

2560x1920, right? It was anamorphic widescreen so still 640x480, rendered on the Xbox One X at (640x4)x(480x4)=2560x1920.

Comment

That might make more sense, I wrote down square pixel 16:9

Comment

So they redid all the textures at 4K?

Comment

So they redid all the textures at 4K?
            Nope.
            They replaced the FMVs on one of the the final fantasy

Comment

Forza horizon 4 is native 4K. Designed for 4K, textures, models etc. We must be able to have a better description for a game designed for original Xbox in standard def that now runs on a one x and outputs 4K to the tv. I get that the Xbox is doing some stuff to the original assets and models etc to produce a way way better image than we have any right to expect but we can’t refer to it as native 4K.

Comment

Forza horizon 4 is native 4K. Designed for 4K, textures, models etc. We must be able to have a better description for a game designed for original Xbox in standard def that now runs on a one x and outputs 4K to the tv. I get that the Xbox is doing some stuff to the original assets and models etc to produce a way way better image than we have any right to expect but we can’t refer to it as native 4K.
                The likes of Halo 5, Froza Horizon 3 , weren't designed to run at 4k on the Xbox One ,but we're patched up to run at Native 4k on the Xbox One X and like Orta and the like are down as Ultra 4k on the official Xbox enhanced website.

Comment

I get that the Xbox is doing some stuff to the original assets and models etc to produce a way way better image than we have any right to expect but we can’t refer to it as native 4K.
                  Yeah, the games don't have new assets. It's not like MS have remastered the games.

The hardware is re-rendering the graphics in a higher resolution and taking away the usual OG Xbox softness. So you have a much clearer, more vibrant image that pops off the screen. It's better than just using a scaling device, but something like Panzer Dragoon Orta is still fundamentally an OG Xbox game but with far greater clarity.

It's definitely tempting me to by an Xbox One S, as they're pretty cheap these days. I have tons of OG Xbox games to potentially use with it. I'd definitely appreciate a far clearer image.

Comment

We shouldn't, really.

4K would be 3840 x 2160, a resolution these won't reach. They'll be much improved when run on an Xbox One X, what Microsoft has accomplished is quite extraordinary, but there's a limit to the technical wizardry taking place. Even if natively rendered at a close-to-4K resolution, lower quality assets such as textures can't possibly be expected to compare to those we have in the most graphically impressive current games.

Comment

I always refer to it as 4K native or 4K upscaled... Either way the original Xbox titles look amazing considering the original source.

Comment

Working...
                      X