Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else experienced control dislexia between handheld and docked mode, I've been playing hollow knight loads on this in handheld mode (about 15 hours total all handheld) I had chance to play in on TV with the pro controller last knight and it was like playing a different game i was missing platforms and struggling to take down enemy's it felt a lot more slippery too, god knows what was wrong with me but you'd think this game would be better suited to a dpad and pro controller set up as apposed to a joycon analog stick
    Last edited by Lebowski; 02-07-2019, 09:55.

Comment

Possibly some additional lag was introduced Lebowski, and it’s throwing you off?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Possibly some additional lag was introduced Lebowski, and it’s throwing you off?
        Reading up on this i think your right it felt horrible on the tv and switching back to docked tightened up the game play massively. i haven't used my pro controller in ages and reading up using it wired is supposed to not be great, will make sure the switch is set to game mode on my tv.

Comment

I was going to suggest is your TV in Game or PC mode? I know if my Samsung TVs aren't it is noticeable. Particularly after having played on the 144hz monitor of my PC. And I imagine Hollow Knight is real precise timing required and therefore makes you particularly sensitive when timings are off.

On another note Nintendo needs to ask its accessory partners to start tightening up their stuff. Second accessory leak hinting towards a new Switch mini in quick succession (taken from ResetEra).

https://gonintendo.com/stories/33899...-bigben-leaked
          Last edited by Digfox; 02-07-2019, 10:15.

Comment

It's interesting these accessory leaks keep pointing to Switch Mini and not Switch Pro.

Comment

That new model looks interesting, but I always find it confusing that Nintendo are these massive pioneers of video gaming, then bottle it half-way through each gen.

Wii! With unique motion controllers! Now with normal joypads.
              Wii-U! With unique controllers with screens built-in!No games past the launch games use it.
              3DS! With unique 3D mode without glasses! Now available in 2D only.
              Switch! With unique controller design that lets you "switch" from handheld to desktop to console mode! Now with switch function removed.

Comment

Most of the time it's all just a marketing ploy which is why the DSi and New 3DS were so redundant, just a way of ironing out production changes as a marketing boost. Switch Pro would be exactly the same, a lot of hot air about improvements but meaningless to the console when it comes to software. It's all about the cheaper models with Nintendo, always has been so streamlining it is the hook but yeah, removing the key reason for success is a funny one unless it's because the Mini comes in obscenely cheap. Frankly, anything above £150 (which it surely will be) and it's pretty redundant too.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  That new model looks interesting, but I always find it confusing that Nintendo are these massive pioneers of video gaming, then bottle it half-way through each gen.

Wii! With unique motion controllers! Now with normal joypads.
                  Wii-U! With unique controllers with screens built-in!No games past the launch games use it.
                  3DS! With unique 3D mode without glasses! Now available in 2D only.
                  Switch! With unique controller design that lets you "switch" from handheld to desktop to console mode! Now with switch function removed.
                  id disagree with most of that

the wiiu screen was used in lots of ways past the launch games, just little quality of life things like being able to always see your map in legend of Zelda or select items instantly without having to constantly pause the game made it a lot more of a fluid experience.

The Wii far form bottled it with motion controls too its a bizarre statement it being the main control method for 99% of the library and it was only more traditional games like monster hunter that required you to use a more standard controller, it aloud for unique Games like house of the dead overkill, Wii sports resort, dead space extraction and skyward sword.

3DS launched 26 February 2011, the 2DS which was aimed at younger kids who cant use the 3d function launched 2 Years later it wasn't until July 2017 that they launched a 2ds with the same form factor as the orginal 3ds.

Launching a cheaper handheld only switch makes sense removing the removable controllers, motion controls and dock should reduce the price of it and fill a gap in the market that the now defunct 3ds has left.

Comment

Presumably motion control will stay but nixing joycons will be a limiting factor for the Mini. Either Nintendo plans to limit motion control heavily in future of the Mini will be hampered and people should stick to buying the standard model for full library support

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Presumably motion control will stay but nixing joycons will be a limiting factor for the Mini. Either Nintendo plans to limit motion control heavily in future of the Mini will be hampered and people should stick to buying the standard model for full library support
                      Not necessarily because of the handheld mode games like arms that are heavily advertised as being better with motion control have pretty comprehensive standard controller options.

Comment

Pokémon Let's Go is joycon only though isn't it? Super Mario Party too? I've skipped both up until now so they might not be but I imagine Nintendo will be banking on Pokémon Sword/Shield and the inevitable Super Mario Party 2 instead anyway

Comment

Yeah as Lebowski suggests, I reckon it won't be an issue. Already all of the games seem to be designed with non motion control options in order to accommodate handheld play.

It'll be a BIT gimped, obviously, like how the 2DS is a bit gimped in that it doesn't have 3D, but if it's cheaper and sturdier I think it'll be a goer.

As a side note, I reckon it will support the dock but one won't be included in the box. Maybe they will start selling a package of JoyCons with one of those charging dogface controllers for Switch Mini owners to use for TV play.
                          [MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION] Pokemon definitely supports handheld play, but I think you're right about Super Mario Party.
                          Last edited by wakka; 02-07-2019, 12:44.

Comment

It's fine. They can call it the "New Nintendo Switch DS".

The DS of course stands for, "doesn't switch".

It will still have Amiibo functionality of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                              id disagree with most of that

the wiiu screen was used in lots of ways past the launch games, just little quality of life things like being able to always see your map in legend of Zelda or select items instantly without having to constantly pause the game made it a lot more of a fluid experience.
                              One of the major selling points of the Wii U at launch was all the games that said they'd use two screens for the actual gameplay. I'm sure the map was nice, but it's not that much of a chore to pause or have a print out. It doesn't justify having the screen controller and it definitely didn't live up to its promise of the two screens giving a unique experience you can't have on other consoles.

The Wii far form bottled it with motion controls too its a bizarre statement it being the main control method for 99% of the library and it was only more traditional games like monster hunter that required you to use a more standard controller, it aloud for unique Games like house of the dead overkill, Wii sports resort, dead space extraction and skyward sword.
                              Yeah, alright, I'm pretty sure all games worked with the nunchuk, but I was saying that it wasn't sufficient to play some games satisfactorily, so the ClassicController was introduced a year later when players asked for a "normal" joypad.

3DS launched 26 February 2011, the 2DS which was aimed at younger kids who cant use the 3d function launched 2 Years later it wasn't until July 2017 that they launched a 2ds with the same form factor as the orginal 3ds.
                              Yeah, but the USP of the 3DS was that it was 3D handheld that didn't need glasses! The name itself is a portmanteau of 3D and DS! You can't buy a 3DS anymore, you can only buy a 2DS - they've phased out the model that does 3D!

Launching a cheaper handheld only switch makes sense removing the removable controllers, motion controls and dock should reduce the price of it and fill a gap in the market that the now defunct 3ds has left.
                              The Switch has lost it's ability to "switch" between three different modes.
                              I've only ever played 2-player with 2 JoyCons, but that feature is now being stripped out.

I still stand by my statement that Nintendo have a history of implementing new tech and making it a key selling point, only to reduce support or abandon it altogether with revised hardware.

Comment

I reckon you're definitely right about the 3DS QC, but the WiiU and Wii are slightly different.

With the WiiU, it wasn't so much that they stripped out the feature, more that the whole idea was so ill advised that they never really found any credible way of actually using it. It was less of a strategic decision and more of a total cock up. So profound was their error that they had boxed themselves into a corner where they couldn't really release a model without the screen, because so much of the existing software wouldn't work with it - even though that software's implementation of it was almost universally mediocre at best.

So I guess, maybe I'm kind of agreeing with you on the WiiU? They DID introduce new tech and then abandon it. But it's more like they messed up right from the very first with that system, and that new tech never really got going in the first place. It was just kind of there (usually displaying a map, or possibly a depressing infinite blackness).

With the Wii, I'd actually say I don't feel that motion controls were ever truly deprecated. The Classic Controller was kind of a niche item that most games didn't support, and even when playing with a nunchuk, motion controls were still a definite element of most titles.

That's my two cents, anyway.
                                Last edited by wakka; 02-07-2019, 13:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X