No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective X03: Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing Soul Calibur running on the Dreamcast back in '99 really was a "wow" moment in my gaming life. Absolutely stunning graphics next to what the 32-bit consoles and arcades were offering. It absolutely destroyed the arcade version.

I'll never forget how brilliant the overall design was -- from the unforgettable intro, stirring music, interesting characters, detailed graphics and complex animation. It's easily one of the best games ever made.

Comment

Soul Calibur's sounds are etched into my brain. The tunes to accompany the three(three!) intros, the voice-overs, and the relentless tick-tick-ticking of the DC drive

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Seeing Soul Calibur running on the Dreamcast back in '99 really was a "wow" moment in my gaming life. Absolutely stunning graphics next to what the 32-bit consoles and arcades were offering.
        I have to say I was more wowed with VF3 TB running on my DC in 98 and then Power Stone in early 99. By the time of SC even though it looked amazing and the animation was sensational, I was kind of expecting almost any major DC game to look good (if that makes any sense)

I do remember being utterly amazed at how good Rayman II looked on the DC That game was so good to one of the best 3D platform games ever made, to this day

Comment

Another memory I have is of my Ex racing round all the stores close to Xmas trying to source a DC Keyboard from somewhere but it was out of stock. To this day I can't remember why though, would have been pretty useless to me in hindsight.

Comment

Just mentioning good-looking games, obviously Shenmue is a contender generally but I'm playing through it again at the moment and the first time it properly starts snowing still wows me to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
              Just mentioning good-looking games, obviously Shenmue is a contender generally but I'm playing through it again at the moment and the first time it properly starts snowing still wows me to this day.
              Dead Or Alive 2 must be for the best looking DC game ever. That game had some of the best textures in the DC game and it must have been pushing millions of polygons. Team Ninja was awesome back in those days

Also one game that never gets much credit is D2. That really set a ball mark for character modelling and lip movement in consoles games. very crude now, but it was quite somthing back in 1999 so much so those silly Yanks had to censor the start of the game LOL

Comment

I wonder if Shenmue III will have a time out option like 1 did whereby you take so long it's like Ryo going 'actually I don't really care about revenge' lol

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  I have to say I was more wowed with VF3 TB running on my DC in 98 and then Power Stone in early 99. By the time of SC even though it looked amazing and the animation was sensational, I was kind of expecting almost any major DC game to look good (if that makes any sense)
                  The Dreamcast was an odd one the contrast between graphics in games was huge, some games were straight PS1 ports that didn't use the systems power and others that did looked stunning and a league above the 3rd rate games. It's a jarring mixture that even today Dreamcast owners have to put up with.

On the subject of Fur Fighters on Dreamcast everyone talked about earlier, I found it a very average 3rd person shooter, which was very buggy. Just seems to be overrated in the magazines.

Comment

I felt similar about Trickstyle, it seemed to get a fair bit of attention at the DC launch but I didn't gel with it at all. Given it never received a sequel I'm assuming it didn't shift that much

Comment

Trickstyle was never a game I played, but yeah like you said it got a lot of hype at launch and then just disappeared into a black hole. Really should pick up a copy just to see what it is like.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        I think playing Soul Calibur on the DC was one of the longest amounts of playtime I've put into a fighter, not a single one of the SC's that followed lived up to that version.
                        Gonna be that guy and say I actually think SCII is the apex of the franchise, but, like you, I probably played more of 1. Hundreds of hours, I'm sure. Unlocking the art in that adventure mode was just so compulsive.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                          The Dreamcast was an odd one the contrast between graphics in games was huge, some games were straight PS1 ports that didn't use the systems power and others that did looked stunning and a league above the 3rd rate games. It's a jarring mixture that even today Dreamcast owners have to put up with.

On the subject of Fur Fighters on Dreamcast everyone talked about earlier, I found it a very average 3rd person shooter, which was very buggy. Just seems to be overrated in the magazines.
                          Fur Fighters was crap IMO . Rayman II was something else mind, what a port that was . It came out pretty much when DOA 2 hit the import shops it was a incredible time to be a DC owner ...

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Dead Or Alive 2 must be for the best looking DC game ever. That game had some of the best textures in the DC game and it must have been pushing millions of polygons. Team Ninja was awesome back in those days
                            Team Ninja were wizards when it came to really showing off tech. I remember thinking DoA2 was absolutely amazing.

The way you could smash opponents through walls and jump to other levels in the game world, really was astonishing back then. I loved how kinetic and forceful the fighting felt. The overall design and atmosphere of the game was also a joy.

It's closely behind Soul Calibur as one of my favourite fighters from that era.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              It's closely behind Soul Calibur as one of my favourite fighters from that era.
                              To be honest, I loved DoA and felt it had a lot going for it. It's a shame it didn't really move on; DoA6 was fun, but despite the visual improvements, it still feels really like DOA2/3 - and it was absolutely riddled with microtransaction bull****.

This makes me think, though - when was the last good new 3D fighter? Not a sequel or follow-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                To be honest, I loved DoA and felt it had a lot going for it. It's a shame it didn't really move on; DoA6 was fun, but despite the visual improvements, it still feels really like DOA2/3 - and it was absolutely riddled with microtransaction bull****.
                                DoA2 was such a stunning game in all areas, that sequels were probably destined not to have the same impact. I did enjoy the versions for the OG Xbox though. Haven't played the 360 versions, but I did buy them a few months ago.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                This makes me think, though - when was the last good new 3D fighter? Not a sequel or follow-up.
                                I can't think of one. 2D fighters seem to be what people want these days. Although, we get plenty of sequels to past 3D fighters.

Would be nice if a developer created a new 3D fighter that felt fresh and interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X