Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems it's perfectly okay for an unelected Prime Minister to pursue an unmandated No Deal exit from the EU

There is after all just a mere 1 in 3 chance currently of imposing a self inflicted Recession on the nation.

Honestly, a government that bad with money and they honestly expect countries to be lining up to do trade deals.

Comment

Deluded halfwits. The ‘safe hands’ of the Tories is a historical myth. They just shift wealth upwards and raze the nation of its assets. They’ll be up for grabs in trade deals.

Comment

Down to a majority of just one now (with the DUP's help): https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ajority-to-one

Comment

Nice in terms of kicking Boris's legs out from under him but as long as the Lib Dems rule out coalition it still feels like they're ultimately helping the Tories more than they're hindering them.

Comment

That makes no sense - why would LibDems go into a coalition with a party that is pro brexit? Standing alone as the AntiBrexit party stops the vote from splitting. The LibDems will win seats at the next GE because of their anti brexit stance.

The conservatives took LibDem votes in 2015, not Brexit votes - expect this result to make Johnson and the tories push further to the right to try and get the last of the Brexit party voters. And if the conservative and brexit vote keeps splitting, that's even more advantageous to the opposition.
            Last edited by MartyG; 02-08-2019, 07:30.

Comment

"Ukip (242 votes) came last behind the Monster Raving Loony party (334)."

Although nice to read, I wish sentences like that were being written three years ago.
              Brexit Party have pretty much taken all their votes.

The Liberal Democrats 13,826
              Tories 12,401 (a margin of 1,425 that overturned the Tories’ previous majority of more than 8,000)
              Brexit party (3,331)
              Labour party (1,680 votes)
              Monster Raving Loony party (334)
              Ukip (242)

Comment

The reason why I see the Lib Dems as troublesome is because I honestly think resurgence or not, they have absolutely zero chance of gaining enough votes to form a majority or enough numbers to form a Lib-Dem SNP Coalition so by ruling out a coalition with Labour they box themselves and Remain votes into a losing position because it's Labour they're ultimately stealing from whereas despite what they say I can fully believe Boris would deal with the Brexit Party and the DUP to screw everyone over.

Either all parties become locked up and No Deal becomes an unavoidable default or any number of other party combinations form a stronger number and all those combinations make Brexit/No Deal more likely. The Lib Dems are solely buoyed by the Remain vote which they'll see collapse if Labour changes position or once Brexit is in the rear view mirror yet they'll squander the possibility to affect the chances of a second vote through ill advised personal ambition (just as Corbyn is doing).

The only positive is Corbyn is definitely in his final days as party leader now.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  "Ukip (242 votes) came last behind the Monster Raving Loony party (334)."
                  The Monster Raving Loony Party's stance on Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    The reason why I see the Lib Dems as troublesome is because I honestly think resurgence or not, they have absolutely zero chance of gaining enough votes to form a majority or enough numbers to form a Lib-Dem SNP Coalition .
                    None of the parties will have enough votes to form a majority at the moment, the only way the conservatives would is with a coalition with The Brexit Party which is never going to happen, based on current polling.

Also, Johnson should never be referred by his first second name, which he prefers as it makes him a more likeable man of the people - as in "It's me, your mate, Boris". He doesn't deserve that credibility.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 02-08-2019, 11:17.

Comment

But doesn't that mean all hope lies with the SNP being willing to form a coalition with the Lib Dems or Labour in order for any combination to outnumber a minority government Conservative Party? Well, and then hope they still have enough cross party agreement to move the needle on Brexit

Comment

I'd suggest that Article 50 is going to expire before there's any GE - we are going to drop out without a deal, everything is gearing up for that. The EU isn't going to renegotiate the existing WA (and there's no time to do that anyway) so the default outcome is we will drop out on 31st Oct.

If there's going to be an early GE, Johnson will ride it on the back of the initial leave euphoria, so any notion of stopping Brexit through a coalition is as much a fantasy as Brexit is being good for the UK.

There doesn't have to be a coalition in any event; a minority government may well be the outcome of the next GE and any legislation that goes through parliament gets agreed or blocked on a motion by motion basis. Given the razor thin majority in Parliament now and the DUP (and the split conservative MPs) voting against the government on a number of occasions, we're not far off a minority government as it stands already. All it's going to take is one more byelection going against the Tories to get there.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 02-08-2019, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          The Monster Raving Loony Party's stance on Brexit.

And it’s still more of a plan than anyone else bothered to put in writing.

Comment

I think a lot of people thought brexit was going to be a NG+ scenario, were we start again with our existing skills and level and by the end of it we are overpowered AF. In reality it will be more like a soft reset were we lost power, havent saved for a while, and we have to start from an old save and do most of it again; in the UKs case probably a save from the 1970s.
                            I don't believe it will be a hard reset like Zimbabwe did.

Comment

Scotland’s first minister on her infamous doorstep encounter with the new PM, why the government’s Brexit plans are ‘catastrophic’ – and why people in England should move to Scotland

Finally, something we can all agree with from Sturgeon who says if the UK leaves the EU under No Deal then Corbyn will have been just as complicit in that outcome as Johnson and May.
                              100% on the money.

Comment

The labour party have been incredible at remaining silent on brexit. Years have passed and still they haven't really said anything concrete yet. They just call for general elections. It's like Fortune from MGS2 were all the brexit bullets curve round them.

Comment

Working...
                                X