Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've merged threads.

Comment

I loved that MarioKart game, but I won't play it anymore because you have to put in money to continue after you win. It's not something I want to encourage

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        I loved that MarioKart game, but I won't play it anymore because you have to put in money to continue after you win. It's not something I want to encourage
        This has been the case with arcade racers since at least 2006. Not sure if it was Initial D or WMMT which started it. I'm also totally against having to pop in another quid after each GP/story/campaign race.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          Not sure if it was Initial D or WMMT which started it.
          The thing is, in my experience the sessions on Initial D are pretty long, and you're upgrading your car each go so somehow it feels different. In MarioKart the sessions are quite short and there's no persistence.

I'm not sure why, but it feels different somehow.

Comment

In Initial D you still get a free go after you win. Only one though. Based on my playing Initial D Stage 8 in an arcade recently.

Still a really fun game, but it's barely changed since ID4 really. I know some people hate that and say it's too easy etc, but I've always really enjoyed its gameplay.

Comment

Re: Initial D - if you don't do complete Para routines to the songs off the soundtrack while you're driving, you're not doing it properly
              Last edited by fuse; 10-08-2018, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                In Initial D you still get a free go after you win. Only one though. Based on my playing Initial D Stage 8 in an arcade recently.

Still a really fun game, but it's barely changed since ID4 really. I know some people hate that and say it's too easy etc, but I've always really enjoyed its gameplay.
                You need an arcade card and to actually make progress to get onto the hard races which require strong driving technique and an upgraded vehicle. The Initial D machine in Las Vegas (Soho) is set to one race and off... What a con. Oh well I have the PS2 game that I can enjoy in the comfort of my own home lol

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  You need an arcade card and to actually make progress to get onto the hard races which require strong driving technique and an upgraded vehicle. The Initial D machine in Las Vegas (Soho) is set to one race and off... What a con. Oh well I have the PS2 game that I can enjoy in the comfort of my own home lol
                  Didnt realise it was operator set! When I won a 2P game at LV, I got a free credit. That's what I was referring to.

To be fair to Las Vegas, what they offer is terrific and unique. Conveniently located too.

The PS2 game is great, but on balance I prefer what ID4 had to offer. Sacrilege to some but there it is.
                  Last edited by wakka; 10-08-2018, 21:12.

Comment

Was at Weston super-mare at the weekend. Some of the arcades there are ok. The transformers light gun game is really good value. Two of us put a pound in each and I reckon we had a good 10 minutes on there for that.

Comment

I love Weston, but haven't been for a few years.

That electric go-kart track at the end of the pier is ace!

Comment

Will hopefully be going to Arcade Club with my son during the Easter holiday and bringing my sister and her husband along for the ride. Manchester is quite the mission from sunny Peterborough, so we’ll be staying at her’s for the weekend. Quite looking forward to visiting the Trafford Centre too for a little shopping.

Are there any decent independent game stores or comic shops around Manchester that anyone can recommend please?

Comment

The last two of three weekends we've tried tiring the kids out by walking round the Trafford Centre which meant three trips to Namco Station or whatever they call it now.

Halo: Fireteam Raven - The big four seater gunner game. It looks visually a bit ropey and I'm not sure how reliable the hits are but despite the big screen you only need to worry about your quarter of it. Decent enough but you're mostly paying for the unit than the game.

Cruisn' Blast - For what it is, and comparing it to the old ones, this is alright. The courses are distinct even if the gameplay is pretty basic and old school

Mario Kart Arcade DX - Just nice being able to try out a few courses, they've updated it to include Taiko no Tatsujin as well. Wish they'd doa cheap home port of these three.

Jurassic Park Arcade - Much like the Halo game, plays very similarly

Tomb Raider - Visually a bit wishy washy and though the unit is big the screen is a bit dated. However, the guns are fun enough with the reload assigned to pulling back the top of the gun which feels good.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            Will hopefully be going to Arcade Club with my son during the Easter holiday and bringing my sister and her husband along for the ride. Manchester is quite the mission from sunny Peterborough, so we’ll be staying at her’s for the weekend. Quite looking forward to visiting the Trafford Centre too for a little shopping.

Are there any decent independent game stores or comic shops around Manchester that anyone can recommend please?
                            In the Northern Quarter you have Forbidden Planet and Travelling Man. At Shudehill you have Paramount Books which is more of a general second hand book store but it also has comics. Just round the corner from Piccadilly Gardens there's Empire Exchange which is a basement store selling all manner of stuff including a lot of old comics. If you're taking your kids keep them from the back of the store though, it's all x-rated. There's some actual indie comic shops in Sale and Atherton iirc but I haven't visited them personally (not a big comic guy).

For games you have Retro Play on the top floor of Afflecks Palace in the Northern Quarter and just down the road on High Street there's Entertainment Trader. Retro Play is a cool little shop but overpriced. Sometimes you can find a nice deal though. Entertainment Trader does not test their stuff, is overpriced and is currently having a closing down sale.

Arcade Club will satiate your lust for arcade games no doubt but there are a few cabs in Afflecks Palace and a barcade called NQ64 if you're interested (Crazy Taxi, Star Wars Arcade, 4 player Xmen & Outrun 2, Time Crisis, Point Blank...etc).

Namco Station in Trafford Centre was 90% ticket machines when I last went but as Superman Falls mentioned above there are still some arcade games there to enjoy. Mario Kart Arcade is aces

Comment

A request for help!

I would really like to get 2 Initial D 8 cards, but they seem to be impossible to acquire in London.

Does anyone know if they are stocked in the machines at either Arcade Club?

Comment

I played a really good Walking dead arcade game in Benidorm a few weeks ago. Would make a nice console shooter.

They also had a fairly impressive, 4 gun tomb raider cab

Comment

Working...
                                X