Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1981

Truly a Super year Man, so Crazy that this Next year Falls upon us as reliably as a Taxi service for a $100 tip. See that 80's Neon and start the Ignition of truly the most important year in the history or mankind!

Share your thoughts and memories of the movies of 1981
    Scream
    0%
    Scanners
    0%
    Blood Beach
    0%
    Zombi 2
    0%
    Earthbound
    0%
    The Incredible Shrinking Woman
    0%
    My Bloody Valentine
    0%
    Sphinx
    0%
    Eyewitness
    0%
    All Night Long
    0%
    The Devil and Max Devlin
    0%
    Maniac
    0%
    The Funhouse
    0%
    Omen III: The Final Conflict
    0%
    The Postman Always Rings Twice
    0%
    Eyes of a Stranger
    0%
    Thief
    0%
    Hardly Working
    0%
    Nighthawks
    0%
    Excalibur
    0%
    The Howling
    0%
    Knightriders
    0%
    Caveman
    0%
    The Hand
    0%
    Take This Job and SHove It
    0%
    Friday the 13th: Part II
    0%
    Graduation Day
    0%
    King of the Mountain
    0%
    Bustin' Loose
    0%
    The Legend of the Lone Ranger
    0%
    The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia
    0%
    Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams
    0%
    Final Exam
    0%
    Clash of the Titans
    0%
    History of the World: Part One
    0%
    Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
    0%
    The Cannonball Run
    0%
    For Your Eyes Only
    0%
    The Great Muppet Caper
    0%
    Stripes
    0%
    Escape From New York
    0%
    The Fox and the Hound
    0%
    Arthur
    0%
    Endless Love
    0%
    Zorro: The Gay Blade
    0%
    Blow Out
    0%
    Under the Rainbow
    0%
    Heavy Metal
    0%
    Student Bodies
    0%
    Deadly Blessing
    0%
    An Eye For an Eye
    0%
    They All Laughed
    0%
    An American Werewolf in London
    0%
    Continental Divide
    0%
    Paternity
    0%
    Just Before Dawn
    0%
    Looker
    0%
    Halloween II
    0%
    Time Bandits
    0%
    Porky's
    0%

Much as I love Spielberg it's John Carpenter who gets my top vote with Escape From New York. Class film. Love it every time I watch it.

Comment

Raiders is my top choice but also passed a vote on to Escape From New York. Overall, there are some notable films on the '81 list but I wouldn't call many of them great enough to vote for.

Comment

Lol at your first post

Comment

Blimey, 81 had some slim pickings. I can't in good conscious include Porky's because, despite being a cult classic, it's a terrible film.

Comment

Time Bandits is class!

Das Boot, Death Hunt, ESCAPE TO VICTORY, Goodbye Pork Pie (@paulos g), Outland, Sharkeys Machine, Southern Comfort.

Comment

Raiders, Raiders, Raiders!!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                Raiders, Raiders, Raiders!!
                Not heard of that one, who is in it? Is related to Tora! Tora! Tora!?

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                  Outland
                  Outland is mint!

Comment

Scanners

Oh man, this is such a great film. So dark and sinister. Oh and Patrick McGoohan.
                    The scene where the head explodes is legendary, but it's a great film in its own right.

Blood Beach

OK, so this is awful. Awful, but it's one of those films my family saw and just laughed about loads, so I have a real soft spot for it.

Friday the 13th: Part II

First proper film with Jason in has to get a mention (as Drew Barrymore found to her fatal mistake)!
                    It's actually one of my faves of the series before it got too silly and he became a reanimated zombie or went into space. Impressive selection of deaths too, from garotting to getting impaled whilst having sex. :O

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
                    My first Indy was Temple, so I'll always prefer that, but Raiders is still h'amaze.
                    Love the scene with the staff, but it's packed with iconic scenes and moments.

The Cannonball Run
                    This is such a silly film, but so much fun. It's one of those films I've watched loads, and its sequels.

Escape From New York
                    This is it, right here, people.
                    Such an amazing experience. The characters, the plot, the music, the action and Snake Plissken. Love it.

An American Werewolf in London
                    Not as crazy about this as some people, but it's definitely worth seeing.
                    Love the way his friend decomposes as the film goes on and when he says "give me a keg of beer".
                    Joke. The transformation scene is astonishing for the time.

Time Bandits
                    A terribly British adventure through time!

Porky's
                    Yeah, this shouldn't be on the list, but as a teenager, it was a must-watch.
                    Pretty tame these days, but it's still worth watching for the laughs. Just.

Comment

So we're just all on board with them renaming Raiders years later? Is that how it is? Is it?!

Anyway, Raiders of the Lost Ark easily takes the top spot for me. It's absolutely brilliant.

But there are a few others I love in there too. Scanners is great - the main actor isn't so wonderful but the film is a really good watch. And Escape From New York is a total classic. And I love that second Muppet movie too.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Scanners

Oh man, this is such a great film. So dark and sinister. Oh and Patrick McGoohan.
                        The scene where the head explodes is legendary, but it's a great film in its own right.
                        We need to start a Patrick McGoohan fan section. I saw the Columbo ep the other day where he is a double agent, just wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          We need to start a Patrick McGoohan fan section. I saw the Columbo ep the other day where he is a double agent, just wonderful!
                          He's amazing. I'll love him forever for being No. 6, but he's class in everything.

He was in Columbo loads, by the way!
                          "McGoohan received two Emmy Awards for his work on Columbo, with his long-time friend Peter Falk. McGoohan had said that his first appearance on Columbo (episode: "By Dawn's Early Light", 1974) was probably his favourite American role. He directed five Columbo episodes (including three of the four in which he appeared), one of which he also wrote and two of which he also produced. McGoohan was involved with the Columbo series in some capacity from 1974 to 2000 and his daughter Catherine McGoohan appeared with him in his final episode, Ashes to Ashes (1998). The other two Columbo episodes in which he appeared are "Identity Crisis" (1975) and "Agenda For Murder" (1990). McGoohan's four appearances on the series as the murderer was more than any other actor."

Comment

I know but I like that episode of his, the best

Comment

I remember saying to my nan that I watched the episode with McGoohan in it and she said "which one?!", which is the first time I knew he'd been in it a few times.

Comment

Working...
                              X