Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    I can’t imagine MS were charging for DirectX as they tried to establish its place in the market. There were a lot of vendor specific APIs back then such as Glide (3dfx) and PowerSGL (PowerVR) not to mention open source stuff like OpenGL too. No point in charging for something you hope will unify the market.
    If MS weren't making money off Direct X, why would it had a team working on it. I'm pretty sure uncle Bill said they make money off Direct X by proving the tools to the Gfx designers.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
      Absolutely
      Funny but we see if Nintendo makes a console next gen or the Handheld that can be played on the TV next gen.

Also I would have liked to have seen 343 studio hard work be the swang song for the One with Halo 6, much like Halo 4 was for the 360 via the studio, with then a Mega version for the Next gen box too

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        If MS weren't making money off Direct X, why would it had a team working on it. I'm pretty sure uncle Bill said they make money off Direct X by proving the tools to the Gfx designers.
        Loss leader.
        A means to an end.
        They needed it themselves to develop Windows and Windows apps and games against.
        To try and veer developers away from OpenGL (back then MS didn't like things that were open; they liked things that were theirs and under their control).

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Loss leader.
          A means to an end.
          They needed it themselves to develop Windows and Windows apps and games against.
          To try and veer developers away from OpenGL (back then MS didn't like things that were open; they liked things that were theirs and under their control).
          But Windows 10 is free to the user?

Comment

Funny but we see if Nintendo makes a console next gen or the Handheld that can be played on the TV next gen.

Who knows. Although I do think the lines are blurring between devices being fixed or mobile. And maybe in the next 10-20 years that continues.

Comment

But Windows 10 is free to the user?
              What does that have to do with anything we're talking about?

Comment

Back on topic.

Xbone dead? Good glad we’re all agreed.

Comment

As dead as Nintendo was with Wii U.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                    As dead as Nintendo was with Wii U.
                    Not quite, they had the 3DS as well. They also sold quite a few WiiU games (was it over a hundred million?) despite the hardware not doing too hot, mainly down to the insane attach rates that they always seem to end up with.

Shareholders' opinions aside I guess the WiiU made them an extremely tidy profit, all said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      What does that have to do with anything we're talking about?
                      Well MS need to make some money

Comment

Doesn’t mean they’re charging people, gfx card vendors, or developers, or gamers to use direct x. Their money these days comes from Xbox licensing of games, office, back office, sql, cloud services etc. They’re doing ok

Comment

Should I preorder a BradFX or just wait for the Bradbox?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            Should I preorder a BradFX or just wait for the Bradbox?
                            No plans to enter the console space just yet. BradFX wasn't my first choice of branding; I wanted the card series to be called Bradeon but ATI's lawyers put a stop to that.

Comment

Well MS need to make some money
                              What makes you think they aren't? The console sales are slowing but I'm sure the game division is making a profit outside of development of the new hardware and software exclusives.

Plus outside of the games division they're having great success with the surface lines etc...

Comment

I don't really understand what is being discussed here. There seems to be some concern that MS, the third most valuable company in the world, is somehow not making money? I'm confused.

Comment

Working...
                                X