Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumors point out to two new Switch versions, a "deluxe" model with improved specs, and an "economical" version of unknown qualities. Apparently both will be made available this summer.

Comment

Luckily Dave I'm amazing at Mario Kart 8 so am well ready for 9.

Comment

I still don't believe the new model Switch rumours, they'd maybe do an revision to make the system more profitable for themselves but broadly they gain nothing from revising the system that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          I still don't believe the new model Switch rumours, they'd maybe do an revision to make the system more profitable for themselves but broadly they gain nothing from revising the system that way.
          Increase their profit margins and potentially expand the Switch market for people who really do just want a handheld and don't want a dock but might like more portable friendly features, i.e. lighter or smaller etc. Nintendo does have a track record of hardware revisions, particularly in the handheld space.

Maybe another possibility is around their Nvidia chipset in the Switch, but I would have thought they had signed into some legal agreement to continue to make these components, as is. Maybe security or a chance to decrease failure rates.
          Last edited by Digfox; 25-03-2019, 10:10.

Comment

Some next level tspins and stuff on this vid. He's constantly switching his "held" as well. Mental.

My best so far is 25th. Ben got 17th. After that, you have to be a ninja.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Turok is on Switch. I don't remember it being a good game. I bet it's aged horribly. I seem to want to buy it and I don't know what's wrong with me.
              I bought the Turok remaster on PC a while back. I wanted to throw up after 10 minutes. I get motion sickness very easily these days (at least on anything which is faster than 60fps).

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                Increase their profit margins and potentially expand the Switch market for people who really do just want a handheld and don't want a dock but might like more portable friendly features, i.e. lighter or smaller etc. Nintendo does have a track record of hardware revisions, particularly in the handheld space..
                Yeah, they do and I definitely think we'll see revisions at some point but I'm with SF in that I think it will be more just to make it more profitable for themselves. I can't see them releasing a separate handheld-only version any time soon. The reason is that the Switch feature is their USP and, in this case, it's working. They effectively removed the USP for the 3DS when they released the 2DS so there is precedent there but I think in that case they would have had solid info that the 3DS was selling in spite of the 3D rather than because of it. Whether people use it much is unknown to me but I do think the ability to seamlessly go from handheld to telly is a feature that is helping sell the Switch. The other factor is that, unlike the DS/3DS for the most part, the Switch has a core part in the joycons that requires compatibility that limits what they can do without breaking that compatibility.

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                I bought the Turok remaster on PC a while back. I wanted to throw up after 10 minutes. I get motion sickness very easily these days (at least on anything which is faster than 60fps).
                Throw up in a good way?

Comment

Throw up in a good way?
                  Haha I still like the game, but couldn't play it. If it was 30/60fps locked, I think I could manage.

Comment

Someone at the WSJ is reporting there will be two new models of switch launching this year.

Switch Pro with a better spec and Switch Cheap a handheld version.

I would consider a pro with some better innards, just can’t imagine it would be vastly improved. Can totally believe Nintendo making a smaller, cheaper, handheld only revision of switch though, certainly interesting times are ahead.

Comment

That's the crux of it though, you look at the sales figures for the Switch and how insanely well they're doing and splitting two SKU's onto the market isn't going to meaningfully better those figures. The timing is pretty poor, the kind of thing you do maybe to distract from not having enough software to carry the systems momentum perhaps.

A cheaper revision is feasible but if they're going to do it then it has to be a meaningful revision, something that reduces it to sub £200 but without compromising the systems appeal. The more time passes the more I think a handheld only version of Switch is possible but wouldn't do too much for the system given the handheld markets dry up

A Pro version I feel gives far too much credit to the idea of a boosted Switch. You only have to look at Nintendo's history on the matter with the DSi and the New 3DS to know no-one should give a minutes thought to such a system. The Switch doesn't need more power and no game would ever make any meaningful use of one. It'd be minimal as well, Nintendo won't push the system above the price ceiling, it'd be a straight swap for the existing system so the differences would be so minimal (chances are the hardware dimensions would remain the same for compatibility with peripherals so, slightly bigger screen due to a smaller bezel?). There'll be no power boost, not unless it's utterly redundant like N3DS.

I'm more concerned that we can have rumours like this for months but we don't have much in the way of software lined up from Nintendo going into the systems third year.

Comment

Yeah okay, software is cool I guess but one thing we will get are some new colours for the joycons and, in the end, isn’t that what really matters?

Really though, I have too many Switch games to play and will never manage to make my way through even the current library of good games. That’s not in any way to suggest we shouldn’t get more great games or that Nintendo don’t need to keep up the big hitters!

Comment

Yeah, they do and I definitely think we'll see revisions at some point but I'm with SF in that I think it will be more just to make it more profitable for themselves. I can't see them releasing a separate handheld-only version any time soon.
                          Of course it's all just rumours but if these latest rumours are true then we see precisely that; a handheld Switch and a Switch Pro/Replacement. But whatever route Nintendo take, whether both are to support the existing Sku or replace it, I think there are multiple good reasons for why Nintendo would be releasing hardware revision later on this year. And that was more my point in response to [MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION]. Something we've debated before in this thread.

I agree that the Switch's USP is its hybrid nature, but I don't think a handheld model takes away from that at all. You hopefully open up your audience to those who want something more portable, smaller and cheaper. Something to replace a 3DS for example. If you superglue the joycons to the Switch, you still have something that will play all the games, right (bar the 'shaver' party game)? Just less control options. But I don't think that would matter for a true-handheld Switch.

Comment

Of course it's all just rumours but if these latest rumours are true then we see precisely that; a handheld Switch and a Switch Pro/Replacement. But whatever route Nintendo take, whether both are to support the existing Sku or replace it, I think there are multiple good reasons for why Nintendo would be releasing hardware revision later on this year. And that was more my point in response to [MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION]. Something we've debated before in this thread.

I agree that the Switch's USP is its hybrid nature, but I don't think a handheld model takes away from that at all. You hopefully open up your audience to those who want something more portable, smaller and cheaper. Something to replace a 3DS for example. If you superglue the joycons to the Switch, you still have something that will play all the games, right (bar the 'shaver' party game)? Just less control options. But I don't think that would matter for a true-handheld Switch.
                            The way to truly dominate would be to turn it into a smart phone. I would love to see what Nintendo could do with Android.

Comment

(bar the 'shaver' party game)? Just less control options.
                              Not sure if there are others are not but there are definitely games that would have their control methods limited which would require endless "not available on the Nintendo UnSwitch" disclaimers and could impose other limits I can't think of. If the Switch was struggling, I could see them doing it because they have done better in traditional handheld space. I'm really not seeing much to gain right now. Yep, the rumours might be true but, as you say, they're just rumours. I'll be surprised if it happens this year but Nintendo have surprised me many times before so what do I know?

Comment

Not sure if there are others are not but there are definitely games that would have their control methods limited which would require endless "not available on the Nintendo UnSwitch" disclaimers and could impose other limits I can't think of. If the Switch was struggling, I could see them doing it because they have done better in traditional handheld space. I'm really not seeing much to gain right now. Yep, the rumours might be true but, as you say, they're just rumours. I'll be surprised if it happens this year but Nintendo have surprised me many times before so what do I know?
                                Indeed. Although thinking about it the new handheld Switch probably would allow extra Joycons to be connected, thus negating some of this and have a USB-C out for video or something.

Hardware revisions in consumer electronics happen all the time on successful products (videogames or otherwise). Although sales are slowing and therefore it makes even more sense to do a revision. Nintendo have timed this very well before. A DS Lite arrived to great success in a similar timeframe.

Personally it feels to me like there is 'something' to these rumours.
                                Last edited by Digfox; 25-03-2019, 16:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X