No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose it’s a question of what is cheaper to do. If all the “consoles” are in data centers they don’t need cases, WiFi, disc drives and cables for displays. And things like CE and FCC compliance testing costs money too. No shipping costs to the various distributors and no packaging costs either. No licence costs for things like HDMI and Blu-Ray playback. That would amount to significant saving for the platform holder.

How many consoles are operating concurrently worldwide given the time difference between the various major gaming regions? Can’t imagine more than half the user base would be active at any given time although I suppose there will be peaks like Christmas Day.

I’m still skeptical about cloud based systems due to the lack of high speed low latency internet connections available worldwide. Total latency between data center, your ISP, home WiFi, wireless controller and TV makes it seem like 60fps could be difficult.

Comment

From the way they talk I always saw it as an additional service/market. So Microsoft would still sell it's consoles and downloadable games, but have this service that can not only run on the console but also smart TVs, PCs, tablets and phones etc. The streaming console could be much cheaper a la the price of a Amazon Fire 4K stick and joypad.

Comment

It will be additional service initially that will eventually take over as the primary way most people play games imo.

Pricing wise I envisage it working similarly to the Amazon Video Store. A selection of ‘free’ content available to subscribers, with most games sitting outside of that and requiring a one off cost purchase for unlimited play. You could see the return of game rentals too - £4.99 for 24 or 48 hours play of a given title, for example.

Comment

You're only as fast as you're slowest connection market. There are all sorts of hurdles even beyond connection speed for moving away from physical consoles, we make steady progress but really it'll be at least another 15-20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            It will be additional service initially that will eventually take over as the primary way most people play games imo.
            100% agree. Similar to how most are moving towards streaming films from Amazon Prime Video/Google Play Store etc. There will still be a market for hardcore than want BluRay quality (in this case dedicated gaming boxes & local hardware).

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            You're only as fast as you're slowest connection market. There are all sorts of hurdles even beyond connection speed for moving away from physical consoles, we make steady progress but really it'll be at least another 15-20 years.
            I think it'll happen faster than that. The below is a good example of Microsoft laying the various foundations for their upcoming Streaming services and continuing to move toward services, MAUs etc.

Microsoft plans Xbox Live for Nintendo Switch, mobile - Eurogamer

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              You didn’t hear that from me. I was pointing out that it’s definitely possible!
              One tenth of a single millisecond. One frame is 16-17ms. So take a frame, shave a tenth off of it, then put it back in. No one's noticing that apart from those slow-mo guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                Is that to get to the point where consoles disappear entirely?

Maybe...but I think game streaming will actually be popularised as a primary way of playing games well before 2039. That's ages away. Look how much has changed since '99 in gaming.

The experience of streaming games will be much better than what we have now. No 100gb downloads, no lengthy installs, no massive patches every 5 minutes. Just press a button and instantly play. It'll be seriously compelling to most people.

Comment

Google already have Assasins Creed running almost perfectly in a browser. True, half of the world don't have the internet speed but the target market for these things already do.

Comment

“Fortunately we have a product for people who aren’t able to get some form of connectivity, it’s called Xbox 360.”

Comment

Thing is, he wasn't wrong. It was spun up massively and it he was silly to say it but not many people have used their PS4s or Xbox ones disconnected for weeks, surely!

Comment

If anyone has an nvidia shield and more experience of Street Fighter 4 than me, please have a go. I thought it was impressive in beta!

Comment

True, but if you want to sell your console in countries like India or China (with crazy Internet security policies) then you need a console that just needs a TV and power. Otherwise that's a few billion less customers. Throw in South America, the middle east and others and you are seriously limiting your market.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            True, but if you want to sell your console in countries like India or China (with crazy Internet security policies) then you need a console that just needs a TV and power. Otherwise that's a few billion less customers. Throw in South America, the middle east and others and you are seriously limiting your market.
                            I very much doubt the Indian gaming market is that big and given China loves mobile I would imagine any streaming service will do well there, that's to overlook even selling a game in China can have issues (like seen with Yakuza and Fifa) and I'm sure XBox Live is avaiable in the likes of China or India .

Streaming isn't going to replace the Console box anytime soon, but it does work not just on a shield, but also with things like PS Now.

Comment

I think that's the key difference between Microsoft and Sony. There are tons of target market countries where the infrastructure is way off where it needs to be to sell consumers on no longer needing a physical console. Microsoft though is able to double down on its streaming etc commitments because it already sells like s--- in those countries thanks to the limited global appeal Xbox has. The markets that make up it's primary userbase are the ones best placed to take advantage of it whereas Sony won't be as quick to walk away from those markets who collectively make a difference to their bottom line.

It's not just getting to that point technologically, there has to be a real consumer thirst for it and so far there isn't as MS learnt harshly six years ago. Mr T would pity the fool who thought the likes of Netflix were comparable basis for streaming games. We know PS5 will be physical, realistically seven or eight years from now they're going to release a PS6 that will be physical too. Factor that systems lifespan in and we're already knocking the year 2035

Comment

If you're saying 2035 for the complete elimination of local consoles, I agree.

If you're saying 2035 before streaming becomes the way a significant proportion of people play videogames, I disagree.

I think it's going to get a lot bigger than it is now, well before then.

In terms of reaching audiences in those secondary markets where either games sales are not currently huge or are dominated by PC and mobile - streaming is the ideal route to them imo. Lower cost or no-cost hardware, a subscription based system which makes piracy more difficult, and a lower overall cost of entry due to rentals or subscriptions.

The viable parts of those countries to target with new videogames - the major cities - already have many areas well served with high speed internet or are making progress towards doing so.

Comment

Working...
                                X