Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Made A Maze - this light-hearted fantasy comedy is basically about a guy builds a cardboard labyrinth in his living room and gets lost in it. It's not the funniest or smartest film I've ever seen, but it's got a charm and spirit I really like ... in an almost don't make 'em like that anymore kind of way. There's a few film references in there too, which adds another layer to the fun. A good bit of daft.

Comment

TCITW is brilliant. Drew Goddard is a quality director and it helps that the screenplay was written by him and Joss Whedon which is why you have a few Whedon staples from both a story and cast perspective.

Chris Hemsworth is in it too. I seem to remember that it was filmed before Thor even though it released afterwards.

EDIT: Yup, was originally due to be released in 2010 by MGM but was shelved when they had those money troubles. Lions gate bought the rights and it was released in 2012.

Comment

Bohemian Rhapsody
        Enjoyed it, I can see why some quarters weren't so won over by it, the film is very largely carried by the music and the performances as the storytelling itself feels pretty paper thin with events treated more as a tick box list than deeply meaningful. In a way the film is less a story of the band and more when they came up with the songs. Light and breezy easy watch though.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          Bohemian Rhapsody
          It is entertaining and my mates and I were listening to Queen loads the following week, but it's worth checking the Wiki for the differences between reality and a good story.

Comment

We'd seen several lengthy documentaries in the past and a few things seemed over embellished at first glance. We liken BohRep as being The Greatest Showman of the biopics world, shallow as a puddle but it feels good to watch

Comment

A few this week, will be quick:

The Nun (2005) - 5.2/10, liked the crazy nun fx tho

Regression (2015) - dull/dill

Attack Of The Adult Babies (2017) - No rating here. It's a nuts movie made by Paddy out of Emmerdale. It's really low budget and incoherent at many points but I kinda liked it, even though it completely wastes Charlie Chuck...it should be a prime moment fir him but his Chuckisms are swamped by the dialogue of the other actors playing adult babies.

The version shown on The Horror Channel looks like it's in 240p, the quality off my Sky Box was like a fuzzy old YouTube video.

There IS an absolutely brilliant trippy fractal sequence by 'Alex Chandon', whom I'm assuming is the same bod who did Bad Karma and (the still-unfinished?) Drillbit back in the early 90s????

Antway, that fractal bit was bloody amazing, it would look even better in more than 240p!

Comment

The Shark and the Whale - had some concerns coming in to this, but it got a couple of good solid (but subtle!) laughs out of me very early on, and found myself warming to it as a result. It doesn't go on any longer than it needed to, and although you had a good grasp of the characters and how they were developing, it felt like you were left to draw your own conclusions on things, which I appreciated. It also prompted my girlfriend to ask me in an entirely deadpan fashion if I was able to make myself ejaculate by rubbing myself against a bookshelf. How's that for an endorsement!

Network - I've been meaning to watch this for bloody ages, but I finally got around to it last night. There's bits that really date it, but there's also a lot of commentary in there which is remarkably on-the-nose even now. Some bits were excellently written, and equally well performed. Very glad to have seen it.

Comment

Ended up watching the Eli Roth remake of Death Wish on Netflix. It was surprisingly decent, I'm puzzled why it had such scabrously negative reviews when it's perfectly fun and serviceable for what it is and keeps moving along nicely.

Yeah, it's nowt special, it's not the best movie in the world, it could've been better, the original is better, Bruce Willis phones in much of his performance and it's really very preposterous how he never seems to get caught properly on CCTV ("I kept my head down", he says at one point, lolz)...but I somehow liked it quite a bit and would love a boosted-up sequel!

Comment

I watched Power Rangers last night. The visual design is atrocious. The effects themselves are fine but they are working with Bayformers style designs that mean it is so hard to make out what I’m seeing. I suspect some of the zords had six legs but I’ll never know because the designs were so messy I couldn’t tell. And the tone is all over the place. It’s got elements that are written in a much more grounded way and then Alpha 5, Zordon and Rita are hamming it up as much as the original show back in the day. It couldn’t settle on what it wanted to be.

But... it wasn’t all that bad. Had it stuck with the tone it had with the teens (not serious or dark but fleshed out and grounded enough), I think there could have been a great movie buried in here. They were actually really good. Like the last Ghostbusters film, this is one where I reckon there was potential for a really good sequel, now that it’s established and got a lot of stuff out of its system. But it is not to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Bohemian Rhapsody
                      Enjoyed it, I can see why some quarters weren't so won over by it, the film is very largely carried by the music and the performances as the storytelling itself feels pretty paper thin with events treated more as a tick box list than deeply meaningful. In a way the film is less a story of the band and more when they came up with the songs. Light and breezy easy watch though.
                      I have been a huge Queen fan most of my life but I have still not seen this. I am sure the music and performances by the actors were good, but as you have mentioned, I heard the story itself is not what moves the film along. I've seen an amazing tribute act (I don't go to tributes but I got a free ticket to see the guy who won Stars in their eyes as Freddie and he was AMAZING) and several good documentaries about Queen, Freddie and when Freddie met Kenny Everett (I think 2 were on side by side on Channel 4), I only wanted to see the film if it was as good as this with great acting. Apart from the sound and his act being good, it's not pushed me to go to the cinema.

Comment

Spectre - It gets hate but I love it. Craig really is, to me, the second best Bond ever.

Dave Batista is just epically badass and Christophe Waltz is proper good too.

Comment

Bad Times at the El Royale - started off really well ... but didn't quite sustain the standard. Could have done with more
                          and less

Hemsworth

imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                            I have been a huge Queen fan most of my life but I have still not seen this. I am sure the music and performances by the actors were good, but as you have mentioned, I heard the story itself is not what moves the film along.
                            I watched it for the first time last night on my projector. It is a very good watch overall, but if you are more interested in the lives of the artists you might be a little disappointed.
                            It's clear very early on that it's just a movie about their music, and Bohemian Rhapsody in particular. From the second he met the others to getting on stage at their first gig was literally a matter of moments, there was nothing in between.
                            So yeah, the story was mostly driven by the music, with a little bit of Freddie's troubles in between.

And as for Mike Myers, holy **** I didn't expect him to come out with that line. That couldn't have been scripted and he probably made that up on the spot, that's what the great actors do!.
                            It had me and the missus in stitches for ages. I won't spoil that for you, you need to watch it for full effect.

For what it is though, a movie about their music, I'll give it a solid 9/10

Comment

The Accountant (Afflick / Kendrick).
                              Pretty good if a little twisted.
                              But... I started crying at the end scene. WTF. In my defence, I'm ill, delirious and off to hospital tomorrow.

Comment

Actually went to the cinema to see a new film last night! I haven't done that in ages. So, Burning is a Korean take on a Haruki Murakami short story. There's a few familiar story trappings happening at surface level, but it's surprisingly difficult to pin down what's actually at the heart of it, particularly as of far more interest are all of the subtle things just bubbling under, leaving you guessing on what's actually happening, who's reliable, what's figurative and what's real, and oohhhhh man - I enjoyed it a lot. It's a little on the long side (doubly so for seeing it in a tiny cinema with the most torturously arse-numbing seats) but very engaging. I've never actually read the short story it's based on, which in my case might've done it some favours - in terms of other Murakami, I love Norwegian Wood but didn't get on so great with the movie - but am now very tempted to seek it out and give it a read.

Comment

Working...
                                X