No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic store will get a refund policy now https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-refund-policy

Comment

Hnnnhh... tempted...

Comment

Epic's latest PC exclusive is Metro Exodus [Eurogamer]

Epic's war on Steam continues: its latest high-profile PC exclusive is Metro Exodus.

The deal to release Metro Exodus on 15th February 2019 solely through the Epic Games store follows a similar deal for Ubisoft's The Division 2.
        As ever a lot of very unhappy people on this one. Seems to be 12-months exclusivity here, as the FAQ for the game lists it as being available on Steam in one year's time.

Comment

With all these releases coming up it'll be interesting to see how much the ratio of sales & higher profit per sale stacks against skipping the userbase of Steam and infuriating a portion of users

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
            Epic's latest PC exclusive is Metro Exodus [Eurogamer]

As ever a lot of very unhappy people on this one. Seems to be 12-months exclusivity here, as the FAQ for the game lists it as being available on Steam in one year's time.
            I am pissed to say the least. My CDKeys preorder has been cancelled and refunded. To add to the insult its £49.99 on the Epic store.
            Steam has been pushing this for a year and two weeks before release they pull this crap.

Comment

Comment

I hope their sales absolutely tank, perhaps that will then put an end to yet another crappy decision by a publisher. Taking away consumer choice - always a pleasure.

Comment

I say this as someone who usually doesn’t bother buying games that aren’t on Steam only because Steam is where my games are and I don’t play all that many PC games anyway but does this hugely matter? It’s a store. It’s not like you have to buy a system for it. You can access it from the exact place you would access Steam. You don’t even have to get up off your chair. Why is this such a big deal?

Comment

Yeah I don’t get why this is such a big deal. At all. Consoles have exclusives and require different online subs, different pads, and a considerable outlay for the necessary machine. This is just a different launcher that you can download in 5 minutes.

Gamers are whiners if you ask me (not that anyone did).

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      I hope their sales absolutely tank, perhaps that will then put an end to yet another crappy decision by a publisher. Taking away consumer choice - always a pleasure.
                      Because you cant buy it off steam? Maybe pubs & devs are tired of steams near monopoly and 30% cut?

As for Valve bleating on how its not fair and its "anti consumer" F off valve and cry me a river while your at it, its only anti consumer when its not on their store, its fine to have exclusives when ON their store though.

If people really want to just play the game, they will just buy in right off from whoever is selling it, its just a virtual store front, who cares.

Comment

No, it's not fine for it to be exclusive regardless of Steam or Epic - this isn't good for the consumer - this isn't being an alternative or competition to Steam, this is trying to BE Stream which certainly doesn't help the person buying the game, removing their choice of where they want to store their personal data and creditcard / paypal information (i.e. in a few places as entirely possible), or where they want to gamble their stake for ongoing access to their future game library.

I have no issue with people wanting to buy from the Epic store - but exclusive nonsense like this is not good and all that will cause is more and more store exclusives. How does that help me as a consumer? A tanking of sales will be the only way to halt this from continuing.

David Galindo has done a very good breakdown of the current Epic store situation: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGali...for_Anyone.php
                        Last edited by MartyG; 30-01-2019, 10:36.

Comment

I mostly does come down to irritation and a tad bit of OCD I think for many. There were hints that Koch had organised this and THQ Nordic wasn't too thrilled about it, it's a bit like exclusives but the trouble is in real life terms it does have a measurable impact. Ubisoft went through a phase of blocking out Steam as a store option to push Uplay and that didn't work out well for them, making it interesting they're risking that again for Division 2. It'd be a shame if this harms Metro's sales though, people should and may well vote with their feet but Metro isn't a massive weather the storm style franchise and it'd be a shame to see it harmed because of short term money grabbing. The percentages may be higher on Epic Store for profit but they also potentially now have to offset the loss of sales and brand reputation. A daft situation but unavoidable, I get Epic wanting to push the store but it wouldn't be hard to just have the game up for sale on both stores and let consumer choose, especially for games that have been on pre-sale on Steam for ages anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            I get Epic wanting to push the store but it wouldn't be hard to just have the game up for sale on both stores and let consumer choose
                            Steam has had such a long head start that having the same games on both likely won't do much to build their userbase. Epic want exclusives for the same reason any other store wants exclusives - it brings people into their store.

Comment

They hope Given the recent slate of instances of this it seems safe to assume we'll see some big late games announce they're going to Epic rather than Steam and then it's whether they still sell and if Steam will finally blink on that 30%

Comment

Well it's certainly going to bring more people to their store than just having the same stuff that's on Steam and giving Steam users zero reason to even take a look at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X