This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Yeah why isn’t this a thing. It would be the first thing I’d do if I got power. Ilevery time it happened I’d make them run the correction twice the number of days and on one more page until the entire newspaper was just one massive apology forever.
    I'm not a fan over over regulation in the media either, but I do think there should be consequences for abusing the responsibility that comes with it. They should also be required to keep an index prominently linked on the front of their website which lists all corrections they've ever had to issue.

It's ridiculous that they can tell whatever whopper they like to boost traffic, sales and profit, then balance that against having to pay maybe a small fine / out of court settlement / tiny retraction.
    Last edited by MartyG; 02-02-2019, 06:33.

Comment

I had a flashback of when I went to work the day after we learned the country voted to leave and a young woman I worked with smuggly proclaimed she voted leave. I literally slow clapped her.
      I don't work with her now but I wonder if she ever has second thoughts now it's all gone to crap. I'm sure she'll be doing some cognitive dissonance mental gymnastics to justify herself.

Comment

Daily Mail headline today. FFS. "How dare they! EU insults our colony Gibraltar".

I only know this because I didn't have enough food to make a sandwich and had to grab one from M&S and the queue was an army of old people clutching their daily brainwash along with their groceries...

Comment

Daily Mail readers in M&S? What is happening in Britain?

Comment

Waitrose is where they mostly go!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              I had a flashback of when I went to work the day after we learned the country voted to leave and a young woman I worked with smuggly proclaimed she voted leave. I literally slow clapped her.
              Wow!

Do you mind if I share that around the internet?

James O'Brien, is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
                Wow!

Do you mind if I share that around the internet?

James O'Brien, is that you?
                Eh...

Comment

Corbyn still grasping at straws and semi-calls for a snap election on the basis of austerity

Whilst a new poll suggests a much bleaker reality for him suggesting that the Tories are gaining popularity whilst Labour are beginning to heavily lose voters. Maybe time to accept reality and grow a pair Corbyn?

Comment

I’ll never be to vote Labour again due to Corbyn enabling of Brexit (and other related issues), and if Corbyn helps ram through Brexit, I’ll admit I would be happy to see the Labour Party utterly annihilated. And I say that as someone with generally centre-leftish views who was a member of the party for over a decade.

Comment

Labour needs to get rid of Corbyn. The propaganda against him has been too successful and is unrecoverable.

Comment

Potentially during the course of this year two groups of MPs may rebel against Labour and start up rival parties. Another sign its time for Corbyn to stand for something other than his own PM ambitions

Comment

I am not political at all....can someone give me the basic rundown on what this whole Left and Right Wing thing is ?

Comment

Left is snowflakes, right is nazis. I’m not an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                              I am not political at all....can someone give me the basic rundown on what this whole Left and Right Wing thing is ?
                              You mean within the Labour party or in general?

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                                Well the difficulty here is that it has always been very hard to pin down and also the centre has shifted so much in the last decade. You ask a question that, in all honesty, seems really hard to answer and maybe the best way is to look at the factions. I think the idea with left wing/right wing was that basically left wing is about the people as a whole and sees more of a role for government and right wing looks for less government and is more about rights of the individual. And so for years I figured that I was a centrist based on this, until I found out that wanting to be cool to people (essentially Bill and Ted’s philosophy) is distinctly left wing now. And you look at the hard right and see them condemning gay marriage, just as one example, and that hardly seems like it fits with championing the rights of the individual. Surely they’d support it? And then you look at fascists etc and those land in on the very hard right when they are based on putting others down and that’s really it in a nutshell (on a wide grey scale, of course) - the right pushes the rights of the individual as a strength, at all costs even, and if that individual or (kind of oddly in my view) group or a society can come out stronger than another, those are pushed too. So you’ll see superiority and strength manifesting as positives on the right. The left is more about the community as a whole, and less about the individual. It is more about the society, pulling up those at the bottom and levelling the playing field, even if that requires more government interference and restrictions.

Where it is difficult now is in that centre shift. For example, the Republicans of the early 80s in America would likely not be Republicans today. New Labour basically turned Labour into the Tories for a while, causing a large shift to the right. So the centre right now leans far more right than it did some decades ago.

But for ease, Brad’s definition is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X