Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    That's 5 to 6 in just the first 6 weeks.
    Hence why I said 'I would imagine any Publisher that sells 4 million units at full price is very happy'
    The 1st month in, games are sold at full price before the discounting kicks in

Comment

Sales is only half the picture. In the best case scenario no 'big' discounting happens for months, a la RDR2.

4m sales even at full price would return far too little money for EA investment. And crucially likely very small MTX sales. It would be a disaster.

PS. How's the new Titanfall game coming along?

Comment

There are messages on Era being discussed that Battlefield V has sold 7.3m units, half what Battlefield 1 sold in the same timeframe.

There's probably a few seniors at EA feeling a bit

Comment

I think the key word is that results were below expectation and a weaker quarter than expected. But for twelve months ended they are still up slightly on last year, but with some costs incurred. I think Blizz and EA are going to have no or small yoy growth on their full results.

Comment

Anthem aside, it's a wonder they don't take a closer look at Ubisofts approach. The whole GAAS is a big deal but Ubi is nowhere near as complacent on its use and creation of ips as EA who have squandered so many franchises that other companies would kill for.

Comment

Ubisoft has had a few misses recently too; Steep and The Crew 2 spring to mind. I just think everything was wrong with the latest BF and their PR was a total disaster. BFV is just not a good game.

Maybe like Assassin's Creed Unity EA needs to take a year out with its yearly online MP FPSs. There is clear fatigue.

Comment

Sales is only half the picture. In the best case scenario no 'big' discounting happens for months, a la RDR2.
                Without wishing to do your nut in. I think sales of games in their 1st month are hugely important and where it can make or break the developer or IP. Many games might latter go on to sell millions of copies, but its how they do when being sold at full price during the 1st month.

Alan Wake and DriveClub have both now sold millions, but their poor sales at launch killed the IP or in Drive Club case the developer too

Comment

EA will presumably be making a massive push on Anthem. It releases directly in the wake of Dead or Alive 6, Far Cry: New Dawn, Crackdown 3 and Metro: Exodus with Dirt Rally 2, Devil May Cry 5 and Division 2 snapping at its heels soon after. A lot will likely rest on this beta and reviews so I could see how Anthem could either go big or go home

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    Without wishing to do your nut in. I think sales of games in their 1st month are hugely important and where it can make or break the developer or IP. Many games might latter go on to sell millions of copies, but its how they do when being sold at full price during the 1st month.

Alan Wake and DriveClub have both now sold millions, but their poor sales at launch killed the IP or in Drive Club case the developer too
                    Getting the highest price possible per user is very important. And obviously we have recursive revenue to factor into major triple AAA launches. In addition EA are ahead of their peers on subscriptions so will lose some individuals sales for Anthem but obviously will generate subscription revenue back.

That said in the course of your posts you have gone from saying any publisher would be happy with 4m units sold, to EA would be happy with 4m sold at full price. Given that EA have just said they expect to sell 5-6m in the first six weeks I think we can conclusively summise EA would NOT be happy with only 4m unit sold of Anthem - whether at full price or not.

Comment

That said in the course of your posts you have gone from saying any publisher would be happy with 4m units sold, to EA would be happy with 4m sold at full price. Given that EA have just said they expect to sell 5-6m in the first six weeks .

And I stand by it. If Anthem doesn't sell 4 million units at full price in the 1st month, then the IP and developer will be in trouble, no matter if it goes on to sell 15 million units in the discount bins

Comment

I have no doubt it will sell 4 million units. The Internet seems very excited by it. Whether 4 million will still be playing it a few months later is another thing.

Comment

I think it has a shot at hitting 4m in the first month potentially, but I wouldn't be surprised if it tailed off hard after that and potentially struggled to retain most its player base. They need to absolutely hit a homerun with this, it's really hard to imagine Destiny 2 having its woes and this smashing that game

Comment

An article on how EA may have just accidentally put a gun to Anthem's head

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              I have no doubt it will sell 4 million units. The Internet seems very excited by it. Whether 4 million will still be playing it a few months later is another thing.
                              As a relevant recent example, how much has Fallout 76 sold?

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/10/18...ttle-royale-ea

An article on how EA may have just accidentally put a gun to Anthem's head
                              It seems daft they would've released that just before Anthem. I know they're quite different games, with one of them as a PvP-focused Battle Royale game and the other as a PvE-focused co-operative multiplayer game, but I still think there's a pretty big overlap in that venn diagram.

Admittedly though, I feel more sorry for the guys making Planetside Arena. Those guys have been gazumped. It's like Battleborn and Overwatch in reverse.

Comment

I've been reading rumours between the pre-orders being low, general apathy from the demo and EA stock holder meeting they pulled trigger on AL to get confidence back.

Not only is AL stealing Anthem limelight it'll likely finish off Bf5 to.

Comment

Working...
                                X