No announcement yet.

Dead or Alive 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as they don’t alienate them too much up front by implicitly calling them all sexists. It’s a difficult tight rope balance they’ve got to walk.

Comment

“Sexual themes” makes it sound much more grown up than it is. As SF calls it, “sexualised” is a much better word. The game may have loads to offer as a fighting game but if moving it away from being the game equivalent of a saucy postcard is worrying then I would start to wonder if it really has anything at all other than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        “Sexual themes” makes it sound much more grown up than it is. As SF calls it, “sexualised” is a much better word. The game may have loads to offer as a fighting game but if moving it away from being the game equivalent of a saucy postcard is worrying then I would start to wonder if it really has anything at all other than that.
        It definitely does have a good core fighting system, or at least the prior games have had it. My issue isn't so much over then dropping sexualisation; more to do with how they're consciously striving for a new fanbase at the expense of an older one, which is a gamble. I hope it pays off because I want the fighting games to persist, however...

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        I have absolutely zero faith in anything Team Ninja has to say on its sexualised content. They just want to avoid any launch controversy, as soon as the initial casual wave has moved on they'll milk DOA6 to death on the series more loyal fanbase with a ton of pervy content.
        That's why I'm a bit cynical about it, too. For instance, I don't really think the fetish-esque catsuit-attire I've seen in the game is really any less sexual than what came before! That's like saying sexualisation is proportional to the skin on display, which, if we're being adults about it, is a purile attitude to have.

Admittedly, the costumes for Street Fighter V crack me up, where Capcom seemed to backtrack from R.Mika's buttslap and put Juri in a cleavage-covering catsuit pre-release, but then added all manner of bikinis and such post-release - as I can only assume people paid for them, or with it being a micro-transaction supported game, Capcom wouldn't have supplied them otherwise. PR talks but money walks, as they say.

Some of this is because the late-90s-style 3D fighters are something of a dying genre. When was the last time we saw a new one? 2D fighters and 2.5D fighters seem to have had rennaisances, but still we see no Virtua Fighter sequel, and it isn't like publishers are lining up to make follow-ups of Bloody Roar or Kensei: Sacred Fist.

Comment

I can understand TN chasing the money but in a way it's a shame, like you say DOA is pretty solid and VF has left something of a void with that style of fighter. DOA5 wasn't perfect but it was a step forward and the trouble with chasing DLC costume money is that TN never maintained momentum with the franchise. I'm sure they made $$$ on DOA5 but seven years for a sequel makes it feel like they have to prove themselves all over again at a very busy release window.

Comment

I've reinstated my pre-order - best girl Tina is back in the game, in all her "kinda like Sarah Bryant" glory Seems they announced that last year and I missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              I can understand TN chasing the money but in a way it's a shame, like you say DOA is pretty solid and VF has left something of a void with that style of fighter. DOA5 wasn't perfect but it was a step forward and the trouble with chasing DLC costume money is that TN never maintained momentum with the franchise. I'm sure they made $$$ on DOA5 but seven years for a sequel makes it feel like they have to prove themselves all over again at a very busy release window.
              That is a fair risk to highlight. Tbh Team Ninja did the iteration thing by re-releasing DOA5 as a different version three times so I wouldn't be surprised if we get DOA6 Ultimate and a DOA6 Last Round at some point. Hopefully the developer can build on the strong foundation they established in DOA5 to make it a more serious fighter and not just the frivolous fan-service fighter it was in earlier installments.

Comment

I just read this:

This is Niche Culture. In this column, we regularly cover anime, geek culture, and things related to video games. Please leave feedback and let us know if there’s something you want us to cover!

tl;dr:

• Team Ninja had two Japanese models playing DoA6 during a J-Evo livestream on Twitch
                • They apparently were discussing if they could re-create the jiggle physics in real life, including jumping up and down in low-cut tops
                • The director of the game demonstrated the first-person mode in a lewd way
                • The stream was cut while still live by the J-Evo organisers who felt was impacting their image

So, there are conversations we could have about "representation of women in games" or censorship on this one, but can we maybe sidestep those and talk about something else?

Namely that I'm unimpressed by how Team Ninja kinda seem duplicitious here? They honestly seem to be saying one thing to western press, talking about how they're toning down the sexual elements of the game, then to Japanese press they're very much plugging this as raunchier than the prior ones.

The whole thing just seems bizarre. Did they think no-one would notice, or something?

Comment

And in doing so created one of the best memes in recent memory.

Comment

It's pretty much the same thing they did with DOA5 but with a heavier focus, I assume because they couldn't get DOAX3 on markets over here. It's why there's absolutely zero belief that DOA6 won't end up being a thong fest as soon as DLC hits, it's just trying to avoid negative publicity but stupidly in a way that's so short sighted they didn't consider western audiences would hear about these stunts that expose their real intentions. Thing is, sexualise the male characters as well and they'd probably be able to be more honest and upfront in their marketing

Comment

I think they became a bit like horny teenagers with a 'sexy art' project.

'Look what we did, its a good serious fighting game unlike the previous one...but look BOOBZ! HAHAHAHHAHAHA...but yeah its a serious game that's not just about boobs...'

Comment

I honestly thought those girls, especially when recreating the boob jiggle, were hilarious. They seem'ed to be having a whale of a time.

What were they aiming for them to do?!?
                        1- Standing and playing/ talking about the game seriously with no mention of boobs/butts whilst dressed in daft outfits
                        2- Have fun playing the game and pointing out jiggle factor in a jiggle factor game when they have been asked to wear jiggle factor clothes?!?

Oh no this is exactly what we DIDNT want to happen...

Comment

I'm just surprised at the whole thing; even Evo Japan's closure of the stream.

It reminds me of one of those dumbass "fail" videos online. Not the ones where a guy was trying to do a kickflip and landed on his balls; like, in those videos, you can see he was at least trying to do something cool. I mean those videos where you have a guy holding a piece of corrugated iron, jumping from the top of a shed onto a kid's toy truck. Those videos where you watch them and want to sit down with the guy and ask "okay, so, start with why. What did success look like to you before you did this thing?"

When Evo Japan invited Dead or Alive 6 to do a livestream, what did they expect? And when they turned up with two gravure models in revealing clothes, what did they think was going to happen? Did they ask?

It just begs a lot of questions.

Comment

the outfits on the models aren't what i call revealing, i see more skin in the council offices than i saw on that video... i really don't understand these pruds complaining about games they never play and evo's "CORE VALUES" when they're quite happy to have MK11 with the very over the top and tasteless fatalities and those upgrade brutal moves that now feel to me like treading into the area of the likes of SAW (which ruined a decade of horror films for me) with women(men'n'monsters) getting their faces and chests ripped off, but that's ok because they're now fully clothed instead of showing skin like in the other 1-10 games....

Comment

That's a well-raised point Tobal and one I also don't understand. How can they get in a bind about the way the game director for DOA6 chose to promote the game with the stage event at Evo Japan '19 but they're pretty blasé about characters severing, contorting and crushing each other to pieces with the MK games? It comes down to the same argument of accepting depictions of extreme violence but the moment you show some skin or show something that implies naughty/sexual behaviour they clam up and get very twitchy. Perhaps someone at some point could remember that they are both games made to entertain and therefore should be treated as such.

There's no need in 2019 to fall back on such old-fashioned attitudes towards a game such as DOA6 being promoted for its sexual appeal (given its had a 23-year and the earlier titles were arguable less PC and outright perverted).

Comment

Time Limited Demo will offer pretty much every fighters making it easy to know if you feel the need to bother buying it later

And a new video shows you can blast Christie's bra off which should be enough to roll your eyes and confirm definitively the devs are full of it when they talk about lessening the series past excesses.

SNK's Mai will also be DLC again

Comment

Working...
                                X