X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...uits-the-party

Labour is hit by its ninth MP quitting, though this one won't be joining the Independent Group
    And yet he seem to have support from the Jewish community, these mp's leaving over this sound like people being outraged at fake story's about not being able to call Christmas, Christmas in case it offends religious groups.

Letter: Over 200 Jewish members and supporters of the Labour party sign a letter urging that anyone seeking an end to bigotry and racism should back Labour and Corbyn

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
      And yet he seem to have support from the Jewish community, these mp's leaving over this sound like people being outraged at fake story's about not being able to call Christmas, Christmas in case it offends religious groups.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-antisemitism
      Since it’s a stolen pagan holiday it should go back to Yule anyway.

Comment

The fake outrage stance in Labour and quitting over it really dose sound like bandwagon jumping, which is pretty disgusting but then they are politicians so its not like there not used to these sort of shady actions.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 22-02-2019, 14:26.

Comment

I just want Yule back not this fake Christian holiday.

I won’t rest until it’s so!

So I’ve quit. There just wasn’t any other way to protest my grievances over the issue.

Comment

Pound falls against the dollar and the euro after EU official says there will be ‘no deal in the desert’ at a summit in Egypt next week

The pound drops as the EU says people need to stop expecting things to change at the next meeting for Brexit

And Barnier adds to the strong expectation that May is risking everything on holding the UK to ransom till the last minute by saying the chances of the UK crashing out with No Deal by pure accident are now high.

Comment

Cabinet Ministers are lining themselves up to give Theresa May three months to quit as PM

Comment

May proves her many critics right by delaying the meaningful revote yet again until 12 March. Hopefully it means she'll get annihilated at the amendment votes this coming week and will have Brexit effectively taken off her.

Comment

F***. Off.

If that's the case just sodding call it off already

Comment

On a Facebook poll there hundreds of people in the comments that are wishing for a no deal. It's as if to them leaving the EU means having literally nothing to do with the dirty foreigners in Europe at all. Either that or they don't know what no deal means, but their comments suggest they do.

Comment

The poll results were 62 remain 38 leave

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        On a Facebook poll there hundreds of people in the comments that are wishing for a no deal. It's as if to them leaving the EU means having literally nothing to do with the dirty foreigners in Europe at all. Either that or they don't know what no deal means, but their comments suggest they do.
                        People support the death penalty until the noose is around their neck.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          The thing is, there are a decent number of people who think that.

I'm not one of those people who thinks all LEAVErs were the vocal racists/xenophobes, but certainly those people, in whatever proportion they exist, sided with Leave. They honestly think the Polish deli on the corner of their street will be closing in the event of a no-deal. Then again, there are people who are offensively ignorant, and obviously there's a venn diagram overlap between "people who aren't terribly smart" and "people who are openly racist and xenophobic".

Any small-scale poll is going to be affected by that. You only need ~100 dedicated people to shout loud enough online to have that effect, and we're in a country with a population in the millions.

Comment

And yet we also know for a fact that social media is being manipulated and that there is money being paid to do this. We know that Facebook is one of the primary targets for this. I don't use Facebook all that much but you can jump on to Twitter and see it quite obviously. And if it is done obviously, I'm pretty sure that it is also done less obviously. But even without seeing it for ourselves, it has been widely reported and documented. So with what we know now, it would be wrong to take social media comments as any kind of accurate representation of what people think instead of what messages are being pushed.

Comment

May pushes back against pressure for her to step down as PM once Brexit is concluded. Ha! Good look with that Theresa, Brexit is literally the sole thing keeping the hangman away from your careers neck, once Brexit is done the Tories won't need their scapegoat anymore and you're cooked.

Because May and her Cabinet, if nothing else, excel in creating plans that the EU has no chance of agreeing to; her cabinet have reportedly come up with a back up plan to request Article 50 be extended by 2 months. She's really thick. The EU won't agree that and even if they did, MP's will reject that attempt for what it is, time wasting to get yet another attempt at her failed deal over the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                And yet we also know for a fact that social media is being manipulated and that there is money being paid to do this. We know that Facebook is one of the primary targets for this. I don't use Facebook all that much but you can jump on to Twitter and see it quite obviously. And if it is done obviously, I'm pretty sure that it is also done less obviously. But even without seeing it for ourselves, it has been widely reported and documented. So with what we know now, it would be wrong to take social media comments as any kind of accurate representation of what people think instead of what messages are being pushed.
                                I feel these discussions keep going around in circles, as saying this gives me a sense of deja vu - but perhaps the crux of the problem lies with this cultural shift.

Back in ~1998, I watched an episode of Have I Got News For You. Jeremy Clarkson was on it. I remember this because he came out with a factoid about a guest, and jokingly added "I got that from the internet, by the way - so like the other 4 million facts on the internet, it's almost certainly wrong". This was the perception back then; the internet was useful, but no-one believed what they read on it.

Then, somewhere between then and now, we moved from the de facto opinion about internet facts being false to them being true. I think social media did this, or did the most to drive this, because it pairs up "internet knowledge" with the inherent trust people have of their acquaintances (it's no longer "some rando on the internet says vaccinations make kids autistic", it's "Sarah from work believes vaccinations make kids autistic").

We need to start teaching people again to simply not trust anything they read online.

Comment

Working...
                                X