This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone played Darkest Dungeon?
    It's £8 cross play on PS4 and Vita at the moment.

Comment

Not played it QC but really want to. I always see high praise for it.

Since I still have the rest of the month with Origin Access I decided to try Tyranny but I'm really just not feeling it? It has a very dry start and I don't know, I guess the setting just doesn't interest me much. Playing the bad guy can be fun but helping an evil empire crush the last bit of free land in a continent isn't doing it for me. Maybe it's the times we live in but meh, no thanks.

-edit-
      Taking a slight RPG break after hammering them for the past 6 weeks, I'm playing Tembo The Badass Elephant and it's certainly living up to its name!

It's a fast paced action platformer developed by Game Freak of all companies and published by Sega. I feel like this should have gotten more attention than it did when it came out.

Really fun and quite challenging. It's tempting to rush through levels using the charge button and the game encourages it but you really need to learn each stage to pull it off effectivley. It reminds me of Sonic in that way, it's satisfying when you manage it.
      Last edited by Cepp; 18-02-2019, 23:11.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        Apparently I’ve pumped 12 hours into FFXIV since Thursday. I completely abandoned my old account, have been running lancer and will be a dragoon soon. Levelling is much less painful as a DPS, I can say that much.
        Finished the ARR (2.0) story yesterday and dinged 50, to be expected that it’s way easier than the first time I did it. Looking forward to progressing further. Again, DPS questing is so much easier and faster than when I was doing it as a Scholar.

Comment

The love affair with Tembo The Badass Elephant ended when it locked the next level behind collectathon garbage. I can't stand that ****.

Comment

Just finished Resi 7. At first I thought it was gonna be a proper classy bit of kit but an extended play on Sunday started to unravel its flaws and having completed it, I'm in two very different minds about it.

It's really quite boring to play. There are hardly any enemy types and the ones that are there are booooooring. There must be THREE different types of enemy. Maybe five. Not many. And NO zombies. Jesus. And they're not even fun to kill. And regenerating enemies are never fun, nevaaaaah.

I'm sad because I quite liked it, REALLY liked it at points (where it felt like a polished version of PS1 Survivor) I just can't see a reason to replay it, even for the other ending (tanker bit DULL). It's a bit unvaried and empty, almost like it has no Resi soul. It echoed Resi a lot but there was something pretentious about the presentation, it's really kinda smug. And that bloody title music...

Such a tough one because it's a quality game, it just feels too stripped down and simple to me, it's not really much fun, plus I feel that hillbilly grindhouse feel detracts from the atmos, I just don't care for the characters, they just grimy.

Hmmmmmm. Guuuuuuuh.

*STROKES CHIN QUIZZICALLY*

Both Evil Within games are MILES better. MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL ES better. Miles and miles and miles.

Miles and miles and miles better. They're miles better, me old pal.

Anyways, I really gave this game a kicking and I actually liked it and played it for over 44hrs, according to the clock at the end. I'm gonna try the free DLC, which has Chris Redfield and sounds more fun.

Comment

Anthem.

90% of the world is saying its crap, but all I want to do is jump back in and play more. Having fun must count for something these days right?

Comment

I'm right at the end of working through the Metal Slug games and other than enjoying them I have to say... playing and completing games with no chance of them becoming a chore - just start, enjoy, finish in quick succession - is psychologically so refreshing, really lifts the interest in gaming again

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  I'm right at the end of working through the Metal Slug games and other than enjoying them I have to say... playing and completing games with no chance of them becoming a chore - just start, enjoy, finish in quick succession - is psychologically so refreshing, really lifts the interest in gaming again
                  I don't think I've made it past stage 3 on any of the metal slugs. Admittedly I probably never put the hours in, but its mighty impressive to me that you're clearing them. Which one is your fav?

Comment

They’re so hard so I have only ever completed Metal Slugs with infinite credits and, playing them that way, they are still a load of fun. The animation is still a gaming high point all these years later.

Comment

Yeah, I won't pretend for one minute that I'm trying to do them under arcade conditions. The home ports always default to unlimited continues so they're pretty easy to breeze through. I always felt the series peaked with X and 3 and looking back that still holds. MS2 buckles far more under the strain than I remembered and 4 onwards are good fun but a definite step backwards (they're the Playmore years ones). Just XX left to do now, I don't think I've done that one since it first came out

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        I dunno man, I think you need to rethink how and why you play games.

You treat every game like a pie eating contest, trying to shovel it down, ready to grab the next one and shovel that down.
                        Sometimes you've got to savour the flavour.

Not everyone like the same thing, I get that, but I've been on RDR2 for months, just taking my time and enjoying being part of the world they've created.
                        A couple of my friends have finished it in the last week and said they found it really emotional, but they probably didn't skip the cutscenes to hurry on to the shooting.

You've found it boring, because it sounds like you've stripped out the story and the atmosphere to get it done.

I could be wrong, and apologies if I am, but it sounds like you're unable to turn off the FOMO and have to sample everything.

Anyway, I played some more RDR2 last night and continued finding the stone carvings. I got to the point where I'd finished collecting them and posted them and need to wait until morning to finish the quest. I planned to go to the nearby town for a bath, meal and a sleep, but found a couple of rednecks about to set fire to a guy. I saved him but had to go to real bed as I have a long drive tonight.

I get that there's a fair few collect-a-thon missions, but I'm still discovering parts of the map I've not been to before.
                        Plus I stumbled on a couple of hideouts and some people tried to jump me, which was a mistake.
                        I killed all of them except one, hogtied him then buried him under the corpses of his dead comrades to send him a message.

I'm going to be away for a few days and I'm going to miss moseying around.
                        No new pics today as I've filled all 96 photo slots!

I've also done a little bit of Vita gaming (thanks, [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION]!), mainly Sparkle 2, which is a ZUMA clone and a lovely distraction.

I've also crumbled and bought Darkest Dungeon to play whilst I'm away.

Comment

I did feel like that with RDR2 for a bit, that maybe I was rushing it too much to be fully won over by it, but in the end I settled back on it being the game that was at fault. I've gone through GTA5 four times, GTA4 three times and even aiming closer to home in terms of comparisons with RDR1 I adored that experience. Even then it took me nearly four months to finish RDR2 which is an insane amount of time really meaning the game had a fairer time sink than pretty much anything in the last few years. I think RDR2 is most like GTA4 - focused on all the wrong areas, more interested in being a cinematic experience than being a game and also Rockstar getting too carried away with its own interests in storytelling (something they're really poor at). But... some people absolutely adore GTA4 just as they do RDR2 which is fair enough but for me RDR2 feels like a full stop on the franchise.

Comment

You raise an interesting point QC. Does anyone here ever sit playing a game and just suddenly wonder what the point is? Why they're bothering themselves with the to-do list provided?

I sometimes feel like I struggle with gaining a balance between enjoying something for the sake of it and enjoying the feeling of achieving the goals that have been set out for me. Goals, which, achieved in a vacuum, are essentially pointless, since they're a mechanism for enjoyment, not an end in themselves.

Comment

Yeah, I get that. In RDR2 for example sometimes the goals aren't even enjoyable. SF has a point that they are, well, pointless. The Challenges for example should have just all been opened at the beginning to have a more varied experience. Don't get me started on the cigarette cards. No one is getting all of those without a guide. Dinosaur bones? Haven't seen a single one in 50 hours.

Comment

All interesting points, guys.

I have been using guides and maps to find the various things and I'm totally cool with that because I've enjoyed exploring the map.
                                I literally started my time once the map unlocked (Ch. 2) by unfogging the map and looking in the nooks and crannies.
                                Finding the legendary animals has given perks and crafting all the bags has given me a near limitless Mary Poppins bag (no more "you have no more room for this item"), so they were worth doing on top of the fun of the activity.

However, the gambling one started out fun and bankrupting somebody was a thrill, but the blackjack and dominoes one are a reeeeal chore and I've knocked them on the head. I might go back to them if I want to 100% the game, but a lot of the collectables are in the bottom of the map and I don't think that's unlocked until the endgame, so there's no point getting perks by that point.

I also think it's interesting that this game can be played differently by each player and you might get something out of it that somebody else hasn't.

At the moment, I'm enjoying the collecting and exploring, but I'm running out of things to do before needing to push the story on and unlock the Southern part of the map.

Comment

Working...
                                X