Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UK government can unilaterally retract Article 50 so surely agreeing an extension shouldn’t be too difficult. I would imagine the EU would be hinting at another referendum within any potential extension period though given the impasse and inactivity at Westminster.

Comment

Presumably they assume May is ignorant enough to allow No Deal rather than back down at the last minute. The Feb 27th vote can't arrive fast enough at this point, well assuming MP's grow a spine this time

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        The UK government can unilaterally retract Article 50 so surely agreeing an extension shouldn’t be too difficult. I would imagine the EU would be hinting at another referendum within any potential extension period though given the impasse and inactivity at Westminster.
        The EU have already said that they'd only grant an extension to article 50 if there was a solid reason to do so - this has been repeated numerous times.

An extension to article 50 requires the EU27 to agree with it, withdrawing article 50 requires the action of one country.

The EU are not going to extend it just so we can kick a can down the road a bit more.

Comment

I think they'd extent even just in the hope that SOMETHING might happen in order to avoid a No Deal Brexit.

Comment

ignore me

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I think they'd extent even just in the hope that SOMETHING might happen in order to avoid a No Deal Brexit.
              I can see their perspective though. How long is enough? I mean the Brexit vote was ages ago.

Comment

Up to 25 members of government may revolt against May next week to support an amendment that would effectively take Brexit out of her hands by forcing an attempt to extend Article 50

And some speculation that Corbyn may finally be slowly warming to the idea of supporting a second referendum

Comment

On this weeks tangent story:

The 19-year-old tells Sky News her newborn son is unwell and she will not allow him to return to Britain from Syria alone.

Begum says 'I'm willing to change'

It's a hard one because of the nature of her circumstances and how she was groomed into going over there but over the last few days she's been very willing to sit in front of the cameras and I just can't escape the feeling that she comes across as incredibly disingenuous. I always feel a massive dose of:

Comment

She was born and raised here at the end of the day, she's our problem. It's a bit **** to try and dump our screwup on another country.

Comment

Given what happened to her two friends it isn't entirely implausible to think MP's will be hoping dragging it out will allow the issue to resolve itself...

Comment

Russia is doing most of the damage to isis. If this is the last pocket of isis left will Russia leave them alone or blow it all to bits?

Comment

I'd imagine blow them to bits. Either that or other locals will, I imagine there's a sense of leaving nothing to chance in case of a later resurge

Comment

Labour is hit by its ninth MP quitting, though this one won't be joining the Independent Group

Comment

I'm reading a novel called The Good Sister which is about a teenage girl who goes to join ISIS and her dad's efforts to get her back. Still early on in the book but she's already starting to realise her mistake a few months in.

Asked if she had anything to say to British politicians, Shamima Begum said: "I would like them to re-evaluate my case with a bit more mercy in their heart, you know."
                              Your GIF sums up my thoughts exactly. "I am willing to change" sounds like psychopath talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                Given what happened to her two friends it isn't entirely implausible to think MP's will be hoping dragging it out will allow the issue to resolve itself...
                                I would not be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X