Why microtransactions, IAPs and LootBoxes are here to stay thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    For me I can't think of any publisher I personally trust on this stuff. All of them will adapt and change business models to suit their profits. Even the so called indies like Grinding Gear Games and Digital Extremes still do naughty things too and if you understand it you can see the business model a mile off..
    Possibly CD Projekt - they've yet to fall down the misleading consumers rabbit hole - I do believe them when they say there won't be any micro transactions in Cyberpunk 2077.

I think they are one of the few left however. If the last few years have taught us anything it's to take what the vast majority of publishers say with ninety-six HGV trailers worth of salt.

Comment

I still don't get why people even watch streamers to gauge interest in games, it's got to be one of the most useless ways of judging if a game interests you because they aren't going to give you any more of an opinion than traditional reviews do (and usually more concisely) and it's like watching a trailer that reveals too much, you're just killing the end gameplay experience by seeing too much. Then again, watching someone play a game is inherently dull to me, one of the worst uses of personal time.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        I still don't get why people even watch streamers to gauge interest in games, it's got to be one of the most useless ways of judging if a game interests you because they aren't going to give you any more of an opinion than traditional reviews do (and usually more concisely) and it's like watching a trailer that reveals too much, you're just killing the end gameplay experience by seeing too much. Then again, watching someone play a game is inherently dull to me, one of the worst uses of personal time.
        Personally I can see why Twitch has taken off. I think it's also given a platform to eSports and competitions that might not have made it otherwise. There is so much different content on there that it's generalising a bit to bunch it all together, but I think for many the characters, entertainment factor and community are all important. It's accessible when you can't play games yourself. Even just watching the big characters play off against themselves in that Apex Legends tournament was entertaining, for example.

I personally give the free monthly Prime sub to a small Aussie streamer who doesn't fall into the sponsored trap and genuinely seems interesting and involves his community. However there are a couple of other small channel that are probably worthy. Also many have Discord communities behind them so much like here there's a sense of community and being able to talk about games as you play them with others. In many ways the 'new' forums leaving places like this for old farts like us.

Also I've personally watched games that I've never played or intended to, i.e. H1Z1 and PUBG. Where just watching a player can be quite interesting. If I ever played those games I would have known my way around a map. It's why I think there's a common misconception that these channels don't hurt games sales - because they can (similar to YT). Certainly I've not bought games more than as buying them. Also I've used Twitch to ask questions about games I thought about buying (TESO). That said I never watch single player stuff where things would be spoilt. It's more the PVP/recursive live services.

I do have issues with the way Twitch isn't policing content or applying rules (same as YT) and think that streamers are paid too much for what they do. But you could argue that about many other jobs I suppose. Certainly people being paid to play games needs to be removed from the service and put into it's own 'ad' category.

Comment

People have become so lazy they watch others play a game that you could do yourself, sitting down and and at zero effort.

Comment

Comment

In MK11, it will cost you $6440 to buy every skin in the game without grinding, assuming you have perfect luck and are checking on the store every 6-8 hours

Kudos to the redditor that put this research together.

Comment

Mentioned in the first play but found out the Krypt that loot chests are not set like in previous games https://www.destructoid.com/mortal-k...n-551341.phtml

Comment

And this is a game with a digital premium edition sitting on the Switch store at €100. Every part of that is wrong. It’s very clear that they have baked in the microtransitions as a primary business model. I personally don’t like them but I know they have to make money. The big problem here for me is that they are using every business model at once. Essentially paying full price (or €100 if you want the full version) for what is being managed like a free to play game. Even how they are handling it is true to those Candy Crush games - give out some free gems and adjust the pickup rate. That’s how they work.

Comment

Ed Boons response: 'LOL OMG! The $6440 story is complete bull****! Where do these people get their information? The VAST VAST majority of MK11 skins are NOT for sale. Thats not how Netherealm makes games. You have the EARN them IN GAME!'

Except, as stated on reddit, to 'Earn them in game' you have to play for 3390 hours. Maybe players just need a sense of 'Pride and Accomplishment'

Comment

It's staggering how lacking in self-awareness developers and publishers can be with their games sometimes. I mean, Mortal Kombat 11 comes on the back of seeing MK9 and MK10 successfully rebuild the franchises success and credibility and here we are seeing that building success threatened by greed. Not just greed, but greed in the face of having witnessed bigger companies with bigger brands get kneecapped by the same practices. They should be very mindful and make sure that planned update seriously addresses the Krypt and grind. It's all too easy to look at MK11's strong opening sales and for them to dismiss complaints but even in it's own genre, DOA5 nickel and dimed it's userbase obscenely with little care and then had to face the music when the audience refused to be put through it again for DOA6. Foster your fans now or MK12 will pay the price

Comment

Ed Boons is being disingenuous at best. The point of the original Reddit post is not just about the cost but the sheer amount of grind built into the game. Towers can be paid to be skipped AND those towers are exceptionally hard. Most of the interesting PVE content is build around freemium mechanics. And Boons knows it.

Disappointing that the videogame reviews from the larger sites called out the aggressive monitisation/grind mechanics but then didn't reflect that in the scores. And in this sense I love the fact places like Reddit/Youtube/Twitch/Discord etc. are calling this out. Good on them.

Comment

If it is true that fatalities are being paywalled then MK11 really can f*ck off as far as I’m concerned.

Comment

Mortal Kombat 11 comes on the back of seeing MK9 and MK10 successfully rebuild the franchises success and credibility and here we are seeing that building success threatened by greed.
                            Yep, this is it exactly. After successes and knowing the game can make very good money, someone or many people decided that wasn't enough. They would go for ALL the money. Will it kill MK? Probably not but it will have an effect. I know I would have bought the game already if it weren't for the fact that I wasn't going to put up for that premium version meaning that I'd go in knowing the version I get would be incomplete. That's even before the microtransactions. That's only one sale lost but I can't be the only one.

As it was, MK9 was very grindy but, in this one, it seems so much worse and as Nu-Eclipse mentions, it seems like a load of MK basics are locked now too. I have little patience for that. I should be playing the game because it's fun and I want to, not grinding like a chore to get the game I paid for.

The game still looks great so I'm another that might keep an eye out for a complete version later but, for now, this game is well and truly off my radar. Adjustments to the koin system won't change that because it's already very clear that the game focus has been tainted.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Except, as stated on reddit, to 'Earn them in game' you have to play for 3390 hours. Maybe players just need a sense of 'Pride and Accomplishment'
                              That's the thing. People are saying that the previous game was the same, but apparently you unlocked everything in that for 50$ and the time to do it "the long way" was a fraction of that.

Comment

Its like with SFV technically you can unlock stuff in the game, but past 6 months with the FM it would literally take months

Comment

Working...
                                X