Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a lovely blu-ray edition of Metropolis a couple of days ago. Never seen it before and what better way to go in than the recently restored full-length 150min version. Amazing stuff ... so far ahead of it's time. Great to finally get round to seeing it.

More silents to come as I picked up the Charlie Chaplin Collection too

Comment

We're going through the X-Men films because I really want to see Logan.

X-Men
      Crikey. Superhero films have moved on quite a lot since this, haven't they? I enjoyed how silly it was but I felt more emotionally invested in the issue of discrimination against mutants than the MCU story. The Avengers were basically told off after Age of Ultron but they weren't treated with contempt by the general public on the level of mutants. Fox's treatment of Sabre Tooth was unforgivable, though. They turned him into a moron. He was much better in the Wolverine film, but then that film turned Deadpool into a moron, so...

X-Men 2
      Much better than the first one. Still hammy at times but the opening scene with Nightcrawler infiltrating the White House was still wicked. I thought Frasier would be in this one but that's the third one. Looking forward to the Juggernaut

My Cousin Vinnie
      "Yoots!"

Comment

The Happytime Murders
        Someone at Henson thought to themselves 'how about a movie where the muppets say rude things?' and then they went and made a movie like that. That is about as much thought that went into this film which falls flat from beginning to end.

Comment

I remember the original Startship Troopers being a fairly good movie back in the day. So last night I decided to watch the second film. Oh my god, what a sack of **** that was. Right from the beginning it's obvious to see the low quality of acting. Then we have the teribbly written story, poor filmography and ****e plot to contend with.
          How on earth could a film that I remember being a classic have such a turb sequel. I'm afraid to even attempt to watch the 3rd one.

Comment

I think it's all the EDF talk, but I also wanted to watch Starship Troopers again.

As well as Avengers: Age of Ultron (more in the 3D thread), I watched John Wick in preparation for part 3. Part 2 is on Netflix, so I'll try and watch that too.

Great to see again and I love Reeves' performance in this. He's not a Terminator, he breaks down when he gets the dog and I love the speech when the boss tells him "It's just a dog", but he's obviously a badass too though!

I love seeing those action sequences that flow so smoothly together.

Kill count: 77

Comment

Last night's double bill started with Psycho II. Love the original so much I've never bothered with anything as grubby as a sequel. But one or two things I've heard and read suggested it's actually a worthy follow-up, with pretty decent credentials going for it. And it is a really enjoyable watch. Full of twists and turns and red herrings. Perkins and Miles on great form. And although it was made in the 80s, it has a strange look and feel of an older film. I think some of the team had previously worked with Hitch, others at the very least were fans, and put a lot of effort into making this something decent.

Then thinks got darker with Kill List. I wasn't planning on watching it but I clocked it on Amazon Prime Video and remembered a mate telling me about it. I had a quick look and couldn't switch it off. Bleak, confusing at times (it's still percolating this morning) and totally riveting.

Comment

I haven't seen Psycho 2 in decades but I remember really liking it.

Comment

I've also swerved Psycho II for the same reasons.
                  I mean, does it need a sequel?
                  Is it streaming? I might try it, thanks.

Your Kill List summary is perfect. What a unique film.
                  La la la, everything is normal (almost boring), finds symbol behind picture, waaaaaaah, where is this going?!
                  Bonkers, haunting, frighting and horrific.
                  I love a big blockbuster, but I do find these oddball films (like Dead Man Walking, Phase IV, Society, Under The Skin etc.) really stay with me for years afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I mean, does it need a sequel?
                    Is it streaming? I might try it, thanks.
                    It definitely doesn't need a sequel, but that doesn't mean a sequel can't be fun. And after 20 years there's more than enough distance from the original. I recorded it off the Horror Channel on Monday night (the free one). Hope I haven't over-sold it

I've also swerved Psycho II for the same reasons.
                    Your Kill List summary is perfect. What a unique film.
                    La la la, everything is normal (almost boring), finds symbol behind picture, waaaaaaah, where is this going?!
                    Bonkers, haunting, frighting and horrific.
                    I love a big blockbuster, but I do find these oddball films (like Dead Man Walking, Phase IV, Society, Under The Skin etc.) really stay with me for years afterwards.
                    Yeah, I'm generally a bit of a softee with my tastes ... but I do like to watch something more challenging/affecting from time to time.

Comment

I've only recently started watching Charlie Chaplin's films, and may have made the mistake of watching his two best ones first, but I couldn't resist. Today I watched City Lights. It's 90 minutes of pure joy ... I'm well and truly under it's spell

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        I remember the original Startship Troopers being a fairly good movie back in the day. So last night I decided to watch the second film. Oh my god, what a sack of **** that was. Right from the beginning it's obvious to see the low quality of acting. Then we have the teribbly written story, poor filmography and ****e plot to contend with.
                        How on earth could a film that I remember being a classic have such a turb sequel. I'm afraid to even attempt to watch the 3rd one.
                        Yep same with Highlander, how could such a great movie have such a ****e sequel.

Comment

Watched Titanic in about a million segments over 83 hours. Apart from some risible dialogue, the spectacle is still impressive. Of more interest to me is that I do the topic at work, and a lot of the things I’ve found out over the years are in the film - seemingly for the purpose of fact checking nerds.

For example, the third class bloke having his beard checked for lice before boarding. True.
                          The bloke in a white suit clinging to the handrail, riding the ship down, swigging from a hip flask. True. He was Charles Joughin, chief baker, and the alcohol in his body kept him alive in the water until he was rescued.

They got some things wrong, but the attention to detail is pretty amazing.

Comment

Remember when you used to cuss me for watching films in chunks, [MENTION=7343]prinnysquad[/MENTION]?
                            Welcome to the party, pal!

You could've saved yourself some time and just watched the best bit:

Comment

Fright Night
                              The original, for some reason the missus had a hankering as she has a massive soft spot for the film. There's still some hokey charm left but it's aged so massively and never really commits to the tone of either being a comedic take or a horror one.

Fright Night Part 2

The sequel that is effectively a weaker remake of the original, shame they were so unadventurous in approach on this one.

Comment

Remember when you used to cuss me for watching films in chunks, @prinnysquad?
                                Welcome to the party, pal!
                                That doesn’t sound like me. You’ve made that up. I would never be so ignorant and insensitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X