PC power supply blown (second offense)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC power supply blown (second offense)

My computer power supply just blew. The computer was off and when I plugged it in, I heard a pop and then it wouldn't start when I pressed the on button. I know it's the power supply because it happened before, probably about a year ago. So I have to replace the power supply but now I'm wondering - why has this happened twice?

It's on a surge protected socket. I would have thought that would have protected it from any weirdness in the plug socket. No other device seems to have been affected in the same place, although I guess many aren't as sensitive to this sort of thing. So any ideas why this would have happened? Any way I can protect from it happening again?

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Any way I can protect from it happening again?
    What brand was it, DT?

The general advice is that while you can get cheap PC power supplies, you should try to get more expensive ones, because they're the one part which can fry your entire system if they go.

I stick to Antec. They've always been my favourite suppler.

Of course, if you've gone with a good brand then I have no idea. Do we have a sparky in the house?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      What brand was it, DT?
      It was a Corsair 650x. That's what my computer came with so I replaced it with the same part because I have no idea about compatibility. Like the last time, I need to fix this really quickly and don't know much about computers so will need to be sure what I get fits right in and works. Is the Corsair any good?

Comment

"Surge Protectors" aren't worth the paper they're written on. If you want to protect your machine from surges / brown outs then you need to have it connected via a UPS which will regulate the mains properly.

They're not super expensive as you're not buying something that's designed to keep the house running if the power goes off, something like this will do far more for you than any surge protected extension socket: https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Back-UP...7&keywords=ups

With that said, all components can just die, you may just have had a bit of bad luck with your PSUs.

Comment

Thanks Marty. Yes, I'll get one of those too.

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] or [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] - Any idea if this would replace my Corsair rm 650x? I'm having a hard time tracking a PSU locally and need one in a hurry. https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.a...ode=MMEV820980

Comment

EVGA Gold rated absolutely fine. I run a couple of EVGA PSUs myself.

Comment

Great, thank you!

Comment

I've got the SuperNOVA P2 650 and it's a brilliant PSU. Make sure to register it for your warranty too, mine comes with a 10 year one.

Could you not get a new one on the warranty from Corsair?

Edit: Looks like that Gold has a 10 year warranty too. Usually a good indicator of the level of confidence in their product as I'm sure you're aware.

I believe the good EVGA power supplies are made by Super Flower who are right up there with Seasonic. Antec is a brand I used to trust too but I think times have changed and there are much better options when it comes to high end power supplies, and even on the low end EVGA makes some really competitive units.
                  Last edited by speedlolita; 28-11-2018, 10:28.

Comment

Corsair PSUs are utter garbage. Mine died after a year and my mate's one caught fire the moment it was switched on and spat solder everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      Could you not get a new one on the warranty from Corsair?
                      Good question. Probably but I'm in the same position I was last time in that I need to get it up and running as close to immediately as possible. My whole computer was under warranty the last time and they would have taken it and fixed it but it would have taken longer than I could be without the machine. Right now, I'm ordering that PSU while also hoping that a local shop gets one in tomorrow, so I could end up with two but I have to do what I can to get this going again. At least I'll have a spare sitting around if it happens again.

Comment

In a similar situation I bought a new one from Scan, returned the broken one to them, waited a while for them to send a replacement and sold it on ebay as sealed new unit, undercutting Scan by about 15%.

Comment

That’s sorta why I asked, recovering some of the cost of the new PSU.

Comment

I wouldn't say Corsair power supplies are bad. My brother has always told me the 'HX' series is great. He's had a few 620 HXs for years and swears by them. So when I built a PC recently, he told me an HX is a must-have.

I have a mate who says EVGA are a good brand -- but obviously you have to buy at least middle of the range for it to be decent. All brands have a range to choose from, so you have to decide what you're happy to pay for a power supply. £130 is as high as I'll go.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-11-2018, 09:52.

Comment

Ugghhhh... put in a new power supply and nothing is happening. What can I try?

Comment

Working...
                              X