Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One good thing is that the EU hasn't been taken over by anti EU MEPs as some were predicting (in fact Pro-EU parties hold a majority albeit fragmented), we also have a large number of pro EU MEPs from the UK to balance out Farage.

Ultimately it means Farage doesn't hold any big sway over the EU parliament, but I don't doubt the majority of EU27 now want to see the back of the UK sooner rather than later. This result will also spur the conservatives to shift hard right to win back Brexit Party voters, so expect more rhetoric from Johnson about a No Deal Brexit.
    Last edited by MartyG; 27-05-2019, 12:04.

Comment

I think the danger for the EU is that Brexit isn't much of a big deal, the internal alt-right rise isn't stopping and it bodes poorly for its future

Compared, Brexit Party may be the party winners but in the Leave/Remain battle those supporting a second referendum came out on tops

Comment

Peston stating that, statistically, the pro-Leave parties (Brexit and UKIP) polled 35%, whereas the remain parties (Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and PC) polled 40%.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          One good thing is that the EU hasn't been taken over by anti EU MEPs as some were predicting, we also have a large number of pro EU MEPs from the UK to balance out Farage.
          Yep, I was worried (and expected) that we might see a huge far right shift across Europe and, while there were definitely gains, that has been tempered by gains on the left too. Centre fence-sitting parties seem to be the ones to get hit hardest. The Greens seem to have done well here in Ireland and I'm not hugely surprised because I think this vote was probably not very well informed and so the Greens would seem like a safer bet than either the main parties or the smaller new parties that are hard to pin down and the independents who we know nothing about.

Comment

BBC has produced this graph:

Comment

Corbyn says he will be 'listening very carefully' to his party as they kick off thanks to performing so poorly by not taking a pro-remain stance

Comment

He should be right behind Theresa in the resignation queue really. Prat.

Comment

And a review of the final results which shows that Remain wins no matter how it's played out, for pro-Leave there's only one winner - Farage

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    The Shadow Chancellor says Labour will immediately call no confidence in any PM who takes over from May
                    ...That's how the Emperor gets into power!

Comment

I have absolutely no sympathy for that frocken' biyaaatch. As Home secretary, she created the 'Hostile environment' policy that saw Windrush children (now people in their 50s and 60s) deported back to to country that they have never lived in after their parents brought them to the UK as children. A shocking disgrace. But when you find out that some of these people have been murdered in their 'homeland'- it's not much above state sponsored manslaughter.
                      Don't get me started on her, pre-general election 'there's no magic money tree' line, patronising nurses and other public servants, whilst a few weeks later promising 1 billion GBP of NI investment, in order to buy a majority...
                      She's a ****ing disgrace and they should burn her and sprinkle her ashes on Thatcher's grave (along side a generous 5000 cubic gallons of piss).

Comment

Corbyn begins to cave to 2nd Ref supporters

Comment

A former front-bencher has said that a second referendum would be the final breach of trust to voters in Wigan. Over simplification and if you're familiar with the place then not likely to sway you against holding one either. Any MP who says there hasn't been a serious attempt to implement the results of the first should be stricken from their role. If there had been no attempt the UK would currently be in a very different situation.

Jeremy Hunt has come out against a No Deal scenario saying it would be political suicide and would trigger a damaging General Election

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...r-voter-exodus

Corbyn begins to cave to 2nd Ref supporters
                            too little to ****ing late, what a bunch of incompetent idiots we have in the uks suposed main partys at present.

Also what the hell is wrong with the general public Farage's brexit party really? just when you think the uk cant get any more stupid we go and shoot ourselves in the kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                              Also what the hell is wrong with the general public Farage's brexit party really? just when you think the uk cant get any more stupid we go and shoot ourselves in the kneecaps.
                              It genuinely makes me depressed. I previously felt that while we voted 50-odd-% for Brexit, that only a small fraction of those people were the type that would vote for someone like Farage. Now we've found out it's actually a significant portion of the population.

Comment

What I find impressive is just how blindly they follow him. It's blatantly obvious that it's less his rising appeal and simply the figures moving from UKIP to B(N)P. He has no local seat, no policies, no direct influence over whether Brexit happens or how it does and has made clear he has no interest in leading in a GE. He literally couldn't have made it clearer that the last few years of UKIP is literally how this new party will unfold as well. It's a protest vote and nothing more yet they support him as an individual even though he's done nothing for them and will undoubtedly stand down as party leader within the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X