The Star Trek Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    What really bugged me early on about Enterprise was that some of the dressing felt so different, even down to things like the opening sequence and that awful song (which at least was an attempt to mix things up), but the first few episodes then felt so generic Star Trek of the day. Which when we had 7 seasons of Voyager, DS9 and Next Gen was just too much to take. It felt like Trek by numbers in a time when Trek was already very stale.
    Yeah; I think they started with the right idea, but got lost at some point in pre-production. That intro theme was just awful. It was bad at the time, it was bad after the show's run, and over a decade has passed and it's still bad now.

I read a while back that when Abrams came to make the more recent Star Trek movie, he apparently was quite specific about certain members of the "Trek Family" that he explicitly didn't want to have creative input to the project. Enterprise makes you appreciate why. It's like they were brave in so many areas to really stretch the concept, but those areas weren't the right ones upon which to focus.

Everyone talks about this, but the (I think second?) season where they've got a season arc, and have a year to find the Xindi Superweapon before it destroys the Earth and irreparably changes the future, and the whole stuff about the "temporal cold war"... There was good stuff in that. The ticking clock, the high stakes, having the ships go out into unknown space against the rising tide; all good. The problem is that the character interactions didn't reflect this. Yeah, okay, people got a bit battered and bruised and there were some raised voices here-and-there, but I wanted to see more.

There's a phrase in writing which says that characters are like geodes. On the outside, they're just dull rocks; you only see what they're made of by smashing them apart. You've got to be brave enough to put your characters through hell in order to get the best out of them. This is why some of the best TNG episodes are the ones like "Chain of Command", or "The Measure of a Man"; they push the characters out of their comfort zone. I wanted to see the Enterprise crew do okay, at first, but critically, start to run out of time and start to fail, and then I wanted to see them struggle to maintain their "evolved sense of ethics" in the face of destruction. I wanted to see Archer go from upstanding hero to a desperate man who will do anything to prevent a disaster, even stuff that would make the audience look upon him with suspiscion. I wanted a fall from grace.

EDIT: Oh, also, the "masked" character, AKA "future guy". The fact that the writers wrote a masked character but never decided who he would eventually be revealed to be (and had intended to never reveal his identity) was a terrible idea.

Comment

CBS’ new CCO David Nevins has confirmed that the upcoming Sir Patrick Stewart-led untitled Jean-Luc Picard series is scheduled to premiere at the end of 2019 and will air exclusively on CBS All Access. said at the 46th Annual UBS Global Media and Communications Conference, Nevins says: “In 2019, it’s not one ‘Star Trek,’ it’s […]

The Jean-Luc Picard series will launch late 2019

Comment

New poster and trailer for S2 of Discovery

CBS All Access has released the official second season full trailer and poster for “Star Trek: Discovery,” the glimpse of the new episodes comes ahead of the show’s return on Thursday, January 17th on the streaming service in the United States. Episodes will be available the next day everywhere else on Netflix. “Star Trek: Discovery” […]

Comment

The news of the hiring today of SJ Clarkson to both direct and executive produce HBO’s upcoming “Game of Thrones” prequel pilot came with another revelation. Reportedly the premium cabler snagged Clarkson after she recently became available because a previous commitment fell through – “Star Trek 4”. In 2018 Clarkson was the first female director […]

Rumbles are that Star Trek XIV has been shelved for the second time

Comment

If there’s one recurring complaint and point of discussion about CBS All Access and Netflix’s “Star Trek: Discovery” it’s that of canon. Showrunner Alex Kurtzman often suffers the judgement of the fanbase for the fact that the show, despite being set a decade before the events of the original 1960s series, has a very different […]

Alex Kurtzman was asked again about adhering to canon for Star Trek especially in light of Discovery and it pre-dating the original series. He gave a lengthy response about how they decide on updating things or sticking to previous plot points:

“We really do spend a lot of time talking a lot about canon and there are people in the writers’ room specifically to tell us where we’re stepping on the line of violation. I did actually note at one point when I was asked about the graphic novels and comics that after 50-plus years it’s literally impossible to stay entirely consistent with canon because there have been very dry years in ‘Star Trek’ and very full years and so many different writers have attempted to fill in the gaps in the dry years of what happened to beloved characters in the absence of a show driving those answers, they end up inventing things and we end up being faced with whether to call that canon. But it’s always a conversation.

The best version of the story needs to be the driver. But what’s the best version of a story is an entirely subjective thing. That’s why we have so many different voices in the writers room with so many different points of view. You want to write a nuanced story to get as many different voices as possible to represent how they feel about different ideas. A big part of my process is listening to the other writers.

With Trek, you want to go out and beta-test ideas. But as soon as you do that you’ll get 50 per cent of people telling you they love it and 50 per cent saying you should be strung up and killed. At a certain point you need to follow your own internal compass, but you don’t want to do it in a vacuum — that’s very dangerous — so we hire people to express what they think Star Trek means, and where we’re violating canon and what we can invent within the grey area.

So, yes, we want to stay true to canon, but we’re also doing a lot of new invention that has nothing to do with canon. There’s a lot of conversation online like, ‘Why don’t you start with new things? Why do you have to look back?’ And the answer is, ‘We can do both.’ We have to do both. Star Trek has always done both. Of course, Discovery’s first and foremost duty is to telling a new story with its new characters, and that should override any particular demand that it has to fit into what’s already come in over 50 years of books, comics, TV shows, and movies.
            While it plays with fire by trying to tie itself up in the lives of original Trek figures like Captain Pike and Spock, as long as it can find a good story to tell in that space, it doesn’t matter than the bridge of the Discovery looks a lot less like a 1960s studio set than what we know a Constitution-Class Starship’s bridge did in the original Star Trek. There’s going to be a compromise for the sake of making something that works in a modern TV show, even if it’s not truly canonically accurate.”

Comment

That answer still begs the question: why make something so closely tied to the original? It feels like they want to tell a new story in their own way and the first season came together well enough to show that they put a serious amount of thought into details and where the story was going. And yet they keep getting these canon questions because they have pulled in key elements and characters from the older Treks. The answer reads like they are finding that a distraction but it would always be the case if they included those elements.

Comment

That answer still begs the question: why make something so closely tied to the original? It feels like they want to tell a new story in their own way and the first season came together well enough to show that they put a serious amount of thought into details and where the story was going. And yet they keep getting these canon questions because they have pulled in key elements and characters from the older Treks. The answer reads like they are finding that a distraction but it would always be the case if they included those elements.
                I always wanted them to make some of the shows they've previously considered and ditched. There was one called "Star Trek Cataclysm" where an Omega explosion happens in the middle of the Federation, which destroys the Federation's ability to use Warp Drive. (this was something talked about in Voyager). Basically treating the Federation like a stained-glass window and throwing a rock at it - a whole series of Trek that's like the Voyager episode "Year of Hell". That being said, I get why this never happened; it's too Battlestar.

Part of what makes Trek work is that, when all is said and done, it's supposed to offer a positive image of the future, which was important during the Cold War, when western society's prevailing vision of the future was one of nuclear annihilation.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Part of what makes Trek work is that, when all is said and done, it's supposed to offer a positive image of the future, which was important during the Cold War, when western society's prevailing vision of the future was one of nuclear annihilation.
                  Definitely and it's easy to forget that. And easy for writers to forget it too. Writers thrive on drama so there will always be a push for It's Star Trek but IT'S DARRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKK! TERRIBLE THINGS HAPPEN!

The original show had plenty of conflict and acknowledged flaws and imperfect systems while still always showing that the future was improved and still improving. That people were better. And that was even more important with Next Gen in its early years and, as goofy as some of those eps were and as much as I think pretty much everyone on the planet felt that it hit its stride with season 3, those first two seasons made it a success enough to warrant that season 3.

In terms of my own wish list for Trek stuff, there is one storyline that was planted and abandoned. Season 1 or 2 of Next Gen. It was the one with the parasites and the implication was that they were still out there and would take over Starfleet and nobody would ever know until it was too late. I always felt it was a shame that was never picked up again but it could kick start a whole new series - a Starfleet crew suddenly finds that the whole of the Federation has been compromised and nobody knows who to trust. It would be like The Thing on a Starfleet scale.

Comment

Given it's been more years since Next Gen than it was from OG to NG, it must be time for a Star Trek series set hundreds of years further in the future following the future Starfleet section that polices time, it could star Jean Claude Van Damme

Star Trek: TimeCops

Comment

In terms of my own wish list for Trek stuff, there is one storyline that was planted and abandoned. Season 1 or 2 of Next Gen. It was the one with the parasites and the implication was that they were still out there and would take over Starfleet and nobody would ever know until it was too late. I always felt it was a shame that was never picked up again but it could kick start a whole new series - a Starfleet crew suddenly finds that the whole of the Federation has been compromised and nobody knows who to trust. It would be like The Thing on a Starfleet scale.
                      It was abandoned due to the writer's strike, I believe. There were two plotlines that were ditched.

This was one; the other was where they arrive at a federation station near the neutral zone which has been "scooped off" the planet as if by some strange force.

I think these two things were going to be related, along with the original plan for the borg, in which they were more insectoid and less humanoid.

Comment

Apparently the destruction of Romulus, the event that triggered the Kelvin timeline's creation, will play into the plot of Star Trek: Picard. The planets destruction took place 8 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis yet the new show is said to be set over 20 years later so it shouldn't be a current crisis in the new show.

Comment

Viacom-owned cable network Nickelodeon is reportedly nearing a deal for a new “Star Trek” animated series from producer Alex Kurtzman and Emmy-winning writers Kevin and Dan Hageman (“Trollhunters”). The new animated series will serve as a tentpole for the network and will target younger viewers, but story details are top secret. Kurtzman in January hinted […]

We're drowning in Star Trek projects now it seems.
                          Reports are that Paramount has nearly struck deal with Nickelodeon to make a kids animated Star Trek series

Comment

It’s official, CBS All Access has renewed its big-budget sci-fi series “Star Trek: Discovery” for a third season. In addition, the series is getting a new showrunner in the form of Michelle Paradise who will now work alongside Alex Kurtzman to run the series set a decade before the original show. Of the hire, Kurtzman […]

CBS have greenlit Star Trek: Discovery Season 3

Comment

In Star Trek: Picard

http://www.darkhorizons.com/first-pi...er-breakdowns/

Picard will be the only TNG character to return (though Frakes will be directing at least one of the ten episodes) and the series takes place 10 years after Star Trek: Nemesis, and two years after the destruction of Romulus - the event that sparked the creation of the Kelvin timeline. It's destruction has been weighing on his mind as he had been working to form peace between the race and the Federation. The story is said to also follow on from the characters love of archaeology and the link contains the character breakdowns for the other key characters.

Comment

Keen for the Michelle Yeoh-led, Section 31-themed spin-off to “Star Trek: Discovery”? It seems you will be waiting awhile. Executives from CBS held a panel at the Innovative TV Conference in Israel this week and the subject of the new series came up. CBS Television Studios president David Stapf tempered expectations saying: “it’s a good […]

It looks like Michelle Yeohs spin-off won't hit till at least 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X