Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night's double bill started with Ant-Man and The Wasp. We enjoyed the first and this was a worthy sequel imo. Light-hearted like the original, keeping that easy going vibe that's very easy to enjoy.

Then the late film was Climax. I've been wanting to see this for a while, and after missing it at our local arts cinema I set my sights on the Arrow blu-ray release. It was everything I expected and also not exactly what I was expecting. Basic premise is a dance troupe are on the cusp of embarking on a tour, and after rehearsal they celebrate with a party, but someone spiked the sangria and things get dark. Like a scary theme-park ride, this lets you experience something terrifying from a seat of safely. Wow.

Comment

A few, last few days:

The Devil's Tomb, off The Horror Channel. Or was it Film4? THC, I think. But I digress. Ron Perlman. Cubehead Gooding. And Ray Winstone. Oh god. Ray ****in Winstone with THE worst American accent you've ever heard, no wonder he's in it for about two seconds in tiny, microsecond-sized slivers. It's horrible, embarrassing, you wanna sink into a hole in the ground.

Plot is like Clive Barker's Jericho but this is waaaaay less interesting. It's just a really clumsy movie. But Ray Winstone. Jesus. So bad.

The Lesson, again off The Horror Channel. About a beleaguered teacher at a UK school who snaps and ends up kidnapping a couple of his teenage bullies, strapping them to chairs and nailing their hands to desks with a hammer and nailgun. It sounded like a great premise but it ends up crap as **** after the second half, where they get kidnapped. The teacher is soooooo boring and annoying and just goes on and on and just annoyed me, I just wish someone had just chucked a frag grenade in the room halfway thru and spared me the waste of that precious sand of life in my cosmic egg timer.

Lastly, that old Blu of Hellboy I've had for eons but never bothered watching. Damn, looks soooooo good, never seen it pop like this, friggin wunderbaaaaaar!!

I've gone off the structure of the movie a tad (sewer bit overlong) but I think Kroenen is one of the creepiest, most effective sinister villains in a kids movie EVER, seeing the bit where John Hurt ends up with his 'dead' body at his pad, and you see how grim he looks...it's ruddy brilliantly icky...and I've never seen it in such rubbery, 1080p surgical, icky detail...ACE!!!

Only ever watched it once and that was when it came out and it was a pirate DVD, lol. Loved seeing it like this, bang on.

Comment

I watched Mute last night. It wasn’t well reviewed and, sure enough, wasn’t a great film. A shame because so many elements seemed to be right. The film just didn’t seem to have enough focus and got distracted by things along the way.

Comment

Independence day resurgence. It was on TV. I enjoyed it more than I should have. I was prepared to just hate it, but I actually liked more about this then I disliked. I liked the how humanity has used all the alien tech to advance ourselves and prepare for another invasion. It a bit all over the place and it lacks any real threat but I enjoyed it.

Comment

A pretty action-packed end of the week!

We saw Battle Angel Alita on Friday night. Not too bad. Wicked SFX.

We decided to go Marvel-mad on the weekend(half-price Amazon Video rentals ftw). We finished phase one a few weeks ago and started phase two on Saturday with Iron Man 3:

It was alright, I guess. All those Iron Men flying around made me think of that episode of Kimmy with the Spider-Man 2: Too Many Spider-Men play.

Sunday's Marvel Marathon was Thor: The Dark World followed by Captain America: Winter Solder and finally Avengers: Age of Ultron to round off our phase two catch-up. Dark World was as boring as the first Thor film so I'm not looking forward to Ragnarok. Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron were great, though.

Bring on phase three. I can't wait to finally see Homecoming

Comment

Wreck it Ralph
              Still a ruddy gem, just really well delivered and a better thought out film than the higher profile ones Disney has put out.

Monsters Inc
              It's insane how much better this is than the prequel

Comment

Aquaman
                Enjoyed it a bit more on rewatch though it still lacks the effortless flow of many other films, enjoyable but for some reason your aware of the time as well

Comment

Equilibrium
                  I saw this on the shelf and had a hankering to watch it as it's been yeeeears.

What a silly film, but has a lot of things going for it.

Christian Bale seems really commited to the role and makes the whole thing work, tbh, because it soon starts unravelling if you think about it.

It touches on a lot of themes assessed in deeper dystopias like 1984, but none of them have a bonkers martial art called Gun Kata!

Again, it looks brilliant on screen, but makes no sense to have someone stood in the middle of soldiers.

Well anyway, it was fun to see again.

Comment

Apostle
                    It was alright, pretty straight forward film with some decent performances in it. The fantasy/horror bits in it add absolutely nothing though, would have been just as good without those bits.

Comment

Death of Stalin

Brilliant. But you probably knew that already.

Comment

The Raid
                        Ace film, first time I've seen it.

Terminator Genysis
                        Oh dear, aside from Arnie who I thought was good, I couldn't enjoy this, the silly over convoluted timeline which seemed like Back to the Future on steroids was bordering on silly.

Bohemian Rhapsody
                        Just got this on BR and although not watched the film yet (saw at the flicks), we watched the full Live Aid segment and the other extra's, fab. To think that the Live Aid section of the film was the one the actors had to do first is testament to the quality of the acting and depth they took their roles.
                        The extra's are a good watch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          Ended up watching the Eli Roth remake of Death Wish on Netflix. It was surprisingly decent, I'm puzzled why it had such scabrously negative reviews when it's perfectly fun and serviceable for what it is and keeps moving along nicely.

Yeah, it's nowt special, it's not the best movie in the world, it could've been better, the original is better, Bruce Willis phones in much of his performance and it's really very preposterous how he never seems to get caught properly on CCTV ("I kept my head down", he says at one point, lolz)...but I somehow liked it quite a bit and would love a boosted-up sequel!
                          I wish I hadn't listened to you, JF, this was a crock of ****.

Both times I fell asleep in it several times, but I've finally made it to the end.

I rolled my eyes when a really obvious plot twist was signposted, only to find it wasn't even that clever!

It's literally, just Bruce Willis torturing then killing a lead when they give up the name of who sent them. Repeat. End.

It's got none of the subtleties of Taxi Driver, none of the stylish action of John Wick, no likeable lead like The Equaliser and none of the intrigue of Upgrade.

Rubbish.

Comment

Yeah but that's all it was supposed to be!

Don't trust me on everything, don't forget I'm a massive fan of 70s jazz-funk-fusion elevator music. Big signpost right there!

Comment

I would rather have been stuck in an elevator listening to Jazz Funk fusion music, tbh!
                              Last edited by QualityChimp; 07-03-2019, 11:18.

Comment

Hereditary

I’ve had this film recommended to me by quite a few people. I love a good horror, they are right up my street but GOD DAMN I wasn’t expecting what I got, probabaly one of the best I’ve seen in a long time.

I’ve stayed pretty much 100% spoiler free on this film, other than maybe a trailer when it was heading to the cinema.
                                Seriously enjoyed it, made even better that I had my headphones on and was sitting in the dark watching last night, soundtrack and sound in this film was awesome.

Throw all the awards to Toni Collette for her performance in this as well.

Will definitely hit the cinema for Midsommer this Sommer.

Comment

Working...
                                X