Wonder Boy 3 - Sega - 1989

California Games - Sega - 1989

Castle of Ilusion - Sega - 1991

Paperboy - Tengen - 1990

Sonic the Hedgehog - Sega - 1991

Master of Darkness - Sega - 1992

The New Zealand Story - Taito - 1992

Prince of Persia - Tengen - 1992

Choose 3 games from this collection of Master System classics.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-12-2018, 09:59.

Oh man, I really struggle with this one but not because of the field of competition.

I want to say Sonic, New Zealand Story and Outrun but mostly on the appeal of the games rather than the host system. I feel I really need to raise my flame shield for this one but... the Master System... kind of... sucked ass? *kneels, raises shield and braces*

Comment

As much as I loved my Master System, I'd say the only two up there for me that really, really deserve big respect are R-Type and Psycho Fox. I would never have chosen MS R-Type over the PCE version back then, but it really was incredibly impressive for the hardware. Psycho Fox was just an awesome wee game that I was solidly addicted to until completion.

I put a ton of time in to loads of the others, but they're really not worth a revisit these days in my opinion.

Comment

The first two are easy, Sonic is a fantastic game in it's own right and while Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a mixed bag, I just genuinely love it to bits. It's probably because it was the first game I ever played but I put a lot of time into that as a kid. It's janky but I love it.

If they were on there I would probably choose Teddy Boy or Ultima IV but as it stands I'd pick Wonderboy 3 from that list.

I really should get another SMS adaptor for my MD.

Comment

Had missed Wonderboy III in that list actually, still well worth a revisit.

Comment

Love this system and had so many great times, almost every kid in my school also had one too.

1) California Games -One of the best multiplayer games ever

2) Enduro Racer - I liked the change of view point and enjoyed the game more than the Arcade version. Me and my brother used to play this game for hours on end, back inthe day

3) Master of Darkness - A fantastic Castlevania rip-off that SEGA should have used more and built on with sequels on the Mega CD and Saturn.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              Oh man, I really struggle with this one but not because of the field of competition.

I feel I really need to raise my flame shield for this one but... the Master System... kind of... sucked ass? *kneels, raises shield and braces*
              Load of Sh1te!

Comment

The Ninja man, best budget £9.99 title in civilisation!

From the list though, gotta go with OG Hang On for time sunk in, like giving in a my card blast now!
                Last edited by Baseley09; 11-12-2018, 17:17.

Comment

I feel I really need to raise my flame shield for this one but... the Master System... kind of... sucked ass? *kneels, raises shield and braces*
                  I had a Master System MK1 back in the day and thought it was a nice bit of kit next to my Spectrum & Amstrad. It was certainly much better tech for running colourful action games than any 8-bit computer. After a couple of years though, I got bored of not being able to afford loads of games, so I sold it. That's when I got heavily into the Amiga.

When it comes to 8-bit retro machines, I much prefer the NES/Famicom over the Master System. I have an MS, but there aren't many games that keep me coming back for more. I am always going back to the NES and its library of games.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Psycho Fox was just an awesome wee game that I was solidly addicted to until completion.
                  Yeah, one of the best MS games. I remember spending loads of time trying to get really good at it.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

I really should get another SMS adaptor for my MD.
                  My Everdrive for the MD runs SMS & Sega Mark III games. Although, I still like to use the MS and its tiny joypad.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

2) Enduro Racer - I liked the change of view point and enjoyed the game more than the Arcade version. Me and my brother used to play this game for hours on end, back inthe day
                  The developer was clever and didn't attempt something too ambitious. The result was a nice looking game that's really fun to play.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  3) Master of Darkness - A fantastic Castlevania rip-off that SEGA should have used more and built on with sequels on the Mega CD and Saturn.
                  I guess it was too much of a cult game for Sega to be bothered to create a series. Maybe if it had come out in 1988 or so, it would have been a bigger thing.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                  The Ninja man, best budget £9.99 title in civilisation!
                  Was it really only £9.99? I will give it a go sometime.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                  From the list though, gotta go with OG Hang On for time sunk in, like giving in a my card blast now!
                  Hang-On is the reason I wanted a Master System. I played it every day for months. It's still a fun little game to go back to.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    My Everdrive for the MD runs SMS & Sega Mark III games. Although, I still like to use the MS and its tiny joypad.
                    Well that's the thing, I have one as well and it now includes FM support so I already have access to everything. Plus there's those Gamegear to SMS conversions. I guess it's just the collector in me wanting those nice boxes on a shelf.

Bonanza Bros has a really good SMS port as well. I really loved playing that with my best friend back in the day.

Also, I just realised, there's no Castle of Illusion on that list! Now that's a true classic, easily one of, if not the best game on the system.

Comment

Shinobi is the Master System game I like most, followed by Castle of Illusion.

Comment

From that list the standout games are R-Type, Wonder Boy 3 and New Zealand Story.
                        Compile’s port of R-Type is fantastic has decent FM audio where supported and an entire new level.
                        Wonder Boy 3 is such a good game and should be as highly regarded as Metroid.
                        New Zealand Story may be another arcade port but it’s arguably better than the MD and PCE versions. Just look at it. Plays brilliantly too.

To to be fair there are some other crackers on the list too. Prince of Persia was a great port, Alex Kidd doesn’t look like much but plays well and has bags of character. Phantasy Star, Psycho Fox, Master of Darkness and Sonic are all great too.
                        And I’m another fan of The Ninja. I got pelters from my mates BITD when I bought it. Until they played it. Cracking wee game.

Comment

Agree on NZS theres something shamefully dank about the backgrounds on PC Engine and the sound is shrill as hell.

Comment

The Ninja looks like garbage, but it's one of the best games on the system. I only ever bought it as it was £9.99 and got way more than my money's worth out of it. I was wondering how I missed it for a choice in my top three, but thankfully I see it never got a mention!

Comment

I want to say Sonic, New Zealand Story and Outrun but mostly on the appeal of the games rather than the host system. I feel I really need to raise my flame shield for this one but... the Master System... kind of... sucked ass? *kneels, raises shield and braces*
                              Yeah, gotta be honest, I've never understood the love for the system. I mean certainly there were competent games; one of my friends had one when I was growing up and we used to play some of the Sonic games on it, along with maybe OutRun... But it just wasn't part of my childhood so I don't really "get" it.

Comment

Working...
                              X