No announcement yet.

Xbox One: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably hyperbole to say going digital-only is madness. It's clearly fine for a lot of people. If you buy most things that come out and want them on day one, yeah, it's an expensive way of doing things, but that's only a subset of gamers. I can imagine that a good proportion of more casual players are digital only or digital-mostly these days.

They might even end up buying more that way, browsing the sales and offers on a Friday night, when they wouldn't have stopped into GAME or bothered looking on Amazon for something that'll turn up a few days later.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      Fortunately though physical is still going to be around for at least the next decade so there's plenty time for MS and Sony to have to react to market competition which will hopefully force them into adopting a better model. Once Sony and MS 100% become digital or streaming services, gamers really have no reasons to rely on them anymore so neither can feel secure they'll enjoy the market command they do currently.
      Are we sure about that? I can't help but think Sony and MS would love to do away with optical drives on the next machines, if they could. Even Nintendo's Switch cards are incomplete for the most part now with publishers simply choosing the smallest sizes with bigger patches.

The reality is a lot of gamers are showing they don't mind the delivery mechanism and will purchase digitally.

Also not sure I understand why 100% digital for MS or Sony would mean gamers have no reason to stick with their machines?

Comment

Likely but there's still a big chunk of more fool them, I honestly cannot remember the last time even a discount on PSN etc beat what was available elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I've bought games digitally but it's a specific type of game and occasionally. Whilst digital is reaching tipping point in a couple of countries I'd say we're still very far from the safe zone whereby any company thinking of depending on digital only (for console gaming) wouldn't see an XBO reveal evaporation of its userbase.

There is literally no chance that next-gen consoles skip physical media. Possible a discless SKU may sit alongside the main unit but discs will be there.
        Last edited by Neon Ignition; 22-03-2019, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          Likely but there's still a big chunk of more fool them, I honestly cannot remember the last time even a discount on PSN etc beat what was available elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I've bought games digitally but it's a specific type of game and occasionally. Whilst digital is reaching tipping point in a couple of countries I'd say we're still very far from the safe zone whereby any company thinking of depending on digital only (for console gaming) wouldn't see an XBO reveal evaporation of its userbase.

There is literally no chance that next-gen consoles skip physical media. Possible a discless SKU may sit alongside the main unit but discs will be there.
          I can get AC:Black Flag on PSN for £7.99 this weekend, versus double that new on disc. Old game I know!

Seriously this is where we lose out by not seeing the MI. But my guess is that if we are probably very close to that point when they can dump physical discs and know it wouldn't impact their sales as gamers would migrate. I don't think that means optical drives in the next machines is meant for much more than accessing old media/selling point or to help with that transition. Indeed maybe we see the rise of 'Limited Run'-type distributors who take the hit to publish more games for a small while.

As an aside I did have a conversation with one of the parents on the school run a few months back who said they had gone into 'all the Supermarkets' and couldn't find Fortnite anywhere. Took them a while to realise it was free to download.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
            I can get AC:Black Flag on PSN for £7.99 this weekend, versus double that new on disc. Old game I know!.
            If you looked harder, you'd have been able to get a second hand copy for £1.74 - good luck getting that second hand digital version.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              If you looked harder, you'd have been able to get a second hand copy for £1.74 - good luck getting that second hand digital version.
              I was being facetious, you cheeky sod

Anyway another good reason why the death of physical is probably coming faster than we would like to admit.

Comment

To be fair, it was an Xbox 360 version and you'd need to add £2 postage.

But yeah, I'm sure publishers would like to see the ability to buy second hand go, because more money.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  To be fair, it was an Xbox 360 version and you'd need to add £2 postage.
                  Lol, that's no good then!

Actually it's a game that displays an irrational behaviour. I purchased it (a black skull tin version) with my PS4 launch that I sold as I never opened it. I've got it free on UPlay with some PC component and then picked up on Xbox One via GwG. And yet here I am thinking about picking it up on PS4 (again) for no real sane reason other than I know I should really play at some point.

Comment

Does anyone have an S and use it for UHD playback?

I’ve been told that the S struggles and that the X is the one to get... I could justify an S on a whim as a UHD player, along with the ability to play some of my XBLA library but I’m less enthused about getting an X to do the same.

Comment

I used my S for UHD playback it works fine. The revised APU added the necessary codecs in hardware so it’s pretty quiet in operation too.

Comment

Hmm, I see. Amazon Spain have a 1TB S unit currently for £164 or so which doesn’t seem so bad. Guess I’ll have a think.

Comment

I've never heard any comments about the S struggling with UHDs.

Comment

Glad to hear it - planning to use mine that way next year.

Comment

Was from multiple people in the Retro Game Boards discord. I’d like them to be wrong!

Comment

What did they say?

Comment

Working...
                                X