No announcement yet.

Canon-Strike VI: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Man 2 is very low down my MCU list. I think it was badly tainted by trying to shove in wider MCU elements and it's the first film where we saw that happen. Black Widow and Happy are a distraction rather than being core to the movie. Sam Jackson brings the movie to a standstill for a bit. And it was just unfortunate that they had to recast War Machine because it was really like they were starting from scratch and I didn't buy the friendship between him and Stark before they had to break it. Their chemistry was vastly improved by Shane Black in Iron Man 3.

So the movie felt very fractured. On top of that, or possibly as a result of that, it couldn't keep focus on key story points. For example, we have a set up that Stark's injury will kill him and then it is solved mid way through the movie in a very clumsy way. Rourke showed real potential as an adversary we could care about, something that has been a constant weak point in Marvel movies, but he just didn't get the screen time needed. So yeah, it was patchy and is a weaker film as a result. It was at this point that I realised that superhero film fatigue would probably kick in and a couple of bad movies would bring the MCU to an end...

...um, I was wrong.

Comment

Gonna buck the likely trend and say that (1) I LOVE Iron Man 2 unironically and (2) I don't get why people dislike it!!

I like the premise, I like the performances, I like the villain, the Iron Man suits, the scene at the Formula 1... Love it!

It's one of my favourite Marvel movies to rewatch. Maybe it's because I'm a mecha fan and it has some great Iron Man/War Machine/drone enemy action. It may also be because it was the first MCU movie I saw in the cinema.

Comment

The animated gif for today sums up one of my irritations with Iron Man in these films after the first film, the suit concepts are horrifically bad. This is a heavy duty, military graded exoskeleton armoured suit and by the second film (set just 6 months after the first) it's already compressing itself into ever implausible forms. Starks suits in general have gotten worse with each film culminating in Infinity Wars daft one. It should be small but it reduces Tony, lessens his accomplishments that justify why he is how he is.

Comment

I like that there has been a progression in the suits and I loved in Iron Man 3 that they were essentially treated as vehicles. That approach really worked for me. But the remote pieces thing was a little difficult to buy and didn’t have the power that seeing the suit go on in Iron Man 1 had. The one in Infinity War is basically magic and has no connection to any real world. It’s just magic now. Which is a shame given we have magic characters and this is what always separated Iron Man from them.

Comment

Rhodes must be so annoyed that he's still rocking the Mark II suit after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I like that there has been a progression in the suits and I loved in Iron Man 3 that they were essentially treated as vehicles. That approach really worked for me. But the remote pieces thing was a little difficult to buy and didn’t have the power that seeing the suit go on in Iron Man 1 had. The one in Infinity War is basically magic and has no connection to any real world. It’s just magic now. Which is a shame given we have magic characters and this is what always separated Iron Man from them.
              I think it's a nod to the comics. A friend explained to me that the nanomachine Iron Man armour came in over a longer period of time, during an arc where Stark questions whether he is Iron Man, or if the suit is Iron Man, and ultimately putting the nanomachines in his body makes him and the armour one organism, and they are Iron Man.

This made me pretty sure that Stark was going to die in Infinity War, because this would be a place to end his character's journey. I think it's a shame they chickened out. In essence, the movies had featured some of the major iterations of Stark's suits, so they had to cram that one in at the end.

Comment

Yeah, the Infinity War armour comes from the Extremis storyline of comics, where Stark develops a nanotech suit and stores it in the gaps in his bones or something.

I know it's a comic book, but it jumped the shark a little bit for me.

It also reminds me a bit of Venom.
                Spider-Man's webbing is technological, a serum fired from mechanical shooters.
                Obviously, Eddie Brock or the Symbiote don't have access to that tech, so Venom's webbing is little bits of himself.

In Spider-Man's first encounter with Venom, he is tied to a bell using a lot of Venom's webbing.
                When he escapes and Venom has to start swinging after him, he doesn't have enough in reserve and plummets to the ground.

When Thanos keeps smashing off bits of the armour, like Venom, he has no reserves.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 28-03-2019, 16:18. Reason: Fixed pic

Comment

Even coming from the comics and being in inherently unrealistic movies, if you've established that your power is tech-based, it has to have at least some connection to the real world. His suit in Infinity War could seemingly create something from nothing, building large strong constructions when there was nowhere for that material to come from and then when he turned it into a rocket booster, where's the fuel? And that implies the tech is creating some sort of engine - it's not just assuming a shape, it's building a complex machine in an instant.

I remember an old Green Lantern comic from years ago... or it was probably Justice League because I don't think I ever read Green Lantern... and, even with that being basically magic (unlike Stark's stuff), there was a really good sequence in one where he wanted to use the ring to create a weapon and so he makes a gun. But to do so, he has to know every piece of the gun and build it bit by bit so it works. Otherwise it's just the shape of a gun. Iron Man's costume in Infinity War was like that only they didn't acknowledge the complexity of what was happening.

Comment

Yeah, similar to the T-1000 that could only make blades, not guns or bombs:

John Connor: Wait a minute here. You're telling me that this thing can imitate anything it touches?
                    The Terminator: Anything it samples by physical contact.
                    John Connor: Get real, like it could disguise itself as a pack of cigarettes?
                    The Terminator: No, only an object of equal size.
                    John Connor: Then why doesn't it become a bomb or a machine gun or something to get me?
                    The Terminator: The T-1000 can't form complex machines. Guns and explosives have chemicals in them. Moving parts. It doesn't work that way, but it can form solid metal shapes.
                    John Connor: Like what?
                    The Terminator: Knives and stabbing weapons.
                    John Connor: So it can't create something from nothing like a suit of armour with big shields and jetpacks with fuel?
                    The Terminator: Negative.
                    Last edited by QualityChimp; 28-03-2019, 16:35.

Comment

Yep, and that shows a little bit of thought. Even when the metal can do something that metal can't in the real world, it abides by a set of rules because that makes sense.

Comment

Yep, and that shows a little bit of thought. Even when the metal can do something that metal can't in the real world, it abides by a set of rules because that makes sense.
                        But if the rebellion could've always just destroyed big ships using hyperdrive

Comment

Take it to the Star Wars thread, nerd!

Comment

I didn't like his nanosuit in Infinity War. But I did like that it started disintegrating during his fight with Thanos, so a bunch of it had to move from one place to another to cushion the blows.

But the less said about rocket boot, the better

Comment

Take it to the Star Wars thread, nerd!
                              But why didn't they do that to the Death Star DT?!? WHY?!?!

Comment

Yeah, the nanosuit was so thoughtlessly employed in the film, no established build up so it just felt stupid from the off. Doesn't help that the suits look worse as the films progress too.

Comment

Working...
                                X