No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 083: Final Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always loved the original and have very (very) fond memories of it. When I first moved to London with 3 buddies and we got a cab set up, it was the first game that went in, and we all spent a lot of time each gunning for the 1CC and inevitably falling short. Pretty sure I scraped through to the last stage once, but I tip my hat to anyone that's seen it all the way through.

On account of recent Megadrive gathering, I've got the Japanese Mega CD version coming in the post which I'm very excited to finally try. No X68000 for me (... yet ).

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      The Sharp x68000 port says hello!

But yeah, for a lot of people in the west back in the day Final Fight CD would’ve been the closest thing to having the coin-op in their home as MAME wasn’t a thing in 1993 and PCBs/SuperGuns weren’t cheap.
      I think the Mega CD version is better than the Arcade (I've never played the Sharp version) I like the remixed music far more (Yes I know you don't) and it plays like a joy with the Mega Drive 6 button pad. Its very much the same for Ghost N Ghouls on the Mega Drive too, I rather the MD version to the Arcade game for much the same reasons.

Comment

the arcade final fight is hard to beat, but i love final fight tough

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I think the Mega CD version is better than the Arcade (I've never played the Sharp version) I like the remixed music far more (Yes I know you don't) and it plays like a joy with the Mega Drive 6 button pad. Its very much the same for Ghost N Ghouls on the Mega Drive too, I rather the MD version to the Arcade game for much the same reasons.
          Final Fight CD’s soundtrack is dire and, yes, I’m going to keep saying it (though the CD version of the music for the Andore Cage Fight is admittedly excellent). I like rearranged videogame BGM when it is done well and Final Fight CD’s mostly isn’t but imo that isn’t surprising when you realise that it was Sega who actually developed Final Fight CD and not Capcom.

X68000 port is literally arcade-perfect so has Final Fight CD beat in all aspects as far as I’m concerned.

Not sure why a six-button pad is needed for a three-button game though but hey.
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 28-03-2019, 12:01.

Comment

Final Fight CD’s soundtrack is dire and, yes, I’m going to keep saying it (though the CD version of the music for the Andore Cage Fight is admittedly excellent). I like rearranged videogame BGM when it is done well and Final Fight CD’s mostly isn’t but imo that isn’t surprising when you realise that it was Sega who actually developed Final Fight CD and not Capcom.

X68000 port is literally arcade-perfect so has Final Fight CD beat in all aspects as far as I’m concerned.

X68000 is almost 1:1 barring the amount of enemies on screen. MCD is rubbish. The attack sequences are too slow for starters.

Final Fight’s soundtrack is aces. It really helps to set the scene of the game I think. The attract mode score is iconic.

Not it sure about the 6B controller either.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

They'll have been mentioned but the 360/PS3 versions are brilliant. I love the arcade presentation, with the bezel included on-screen and emulated scanlines, etc. It did a great job of putting me back in the arcade, which no other console version did. Coupled with a decent arcade stick it's a dream.

Comment

Because it features the best d-pad in the history of video gaming, that's why.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                    Not it sure about the 6B controller either.
                    Something this reminded me about; a while back I played the Turtles SNES game, the scrolling beat-em up.

The game has three functions; attack, jump and special attack, and despite being on the SNES controller, it still put the special attack on "jump+attack" The legacy of Final Fight is pretty strong.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        They'll have been mentioned but the 360/PS3 versions are brilliant. I love the arcade presentation, with the bezel included on-screen and emulated scanlines, etc. It did a great job of putting me back in the arcade, which no other console version did. Coupled with a decent arcade stick it's a dream.
                        Final Fight Double Impact is excellent.

With a far better arranged soundtrack than Final Fight CD, too.

Comment

Belt Action Collection has the definitive version though.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            Belt Action Collection has the definitive version though.
                            I might have to upgrade. What makes it the definitive version?

Comment

There's not a lot of difference between it and Double Impact to be honest. In fact, the filters aren't as good. Double Impact bends the image and properly mimcs a CRT display, whereas the newer version doesn't. The drop in/drop out feature arguably worked better in Double Impact too, though I haven't played the new version lately, so maybe it's been patched in the meantime.

Of course, you get a load of other games with it, including some real beauts.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X