No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 083: Final Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unfortunately the X68000 version as nice as it looks isn’t arcade perfect. As mentioned earlier it has a lower enemies-on-screen count, but another issue is that you can’t force scroll the screen to skip tricky enemies/situations or force more enemies on the screen. This is a pretty big strategy in getting a 1cc on the arcade version. Apart from those 2 issue it’s pretty damn amazing.

The best version aside aside from the PCB is obviously ‘Callus95’ or Mame obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
      unfortunately the X68000 version as nice as it looks isn’t arcade perfect. As mentioned earlier it has a lower enemies-on-screen count, but another issue is that you can’t force scroll the screen to skip tricky enemies/situations or force more enemies on the screen. This is a pretty big strategy in getting a 1cc on the arcade version.
      Be all that as it may, it is still the best native home port of Final Fight by a considerable distance.

I’m not counting FF as seen in compilations like Double Impact and Belt Action Collection as that is quite obviously straight CPS-1 emulation.

Comment

I dread to think how many 20 pences I’ve dunked into Final Fight cabinets over the years...

The Japanese Mega CD version is awesome, I didn’t appreciate Poison and Roxy being replaced by Billy and Sid. Or maybe that’s just them pre-op I’ve never played any of the sequels although I vaguely remember borrowing One for the GBA off a mate.

Mighty has always quite intrigued me, I’d still really like to have a go after all these years.

Comment

Ah, Final Fight - loved seeing this in the Arcade when the travelling fair came to visit, and then finding out it was coming out on the SNES was mind blowing - I remember walking back fro the fair trying to figure out how to get the money together to buy the console just to play the game!

Thanks to this, just ordered a boxed SFC copy on eBay :-)

Enjoyed playing the sequels, but won’t return to them - but the first one is amazing.

I read that there’s an arcade hack on the way which offers 3 player mode on original hardware!

Comment

Nice timing!

I am just about to get this mini poster framed

Free image hosting and sharing service, upload pictures, photo host. Offers integration solutions for uploading images to forums.

Comment

Great poster!

Comment

Even though I've gotta admit Haggar resembles Jesse Ventura (facially), as a child I always assumed it was Stacy Keach, AKA "Mike Hammer", which I used to watch as a kid. Facially, one could say Keach, one could say Ventura, one could say the strange result of some bizarre, gay egg.

But the name. Mike Haggar. Mike Hammer. You break objects and find hammers ("hummer"s). You also find brown hats, the sort vintage American private eyes would wear.

Mike Hammer was a vintage American private eye. I rest my cases.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Mike Hammer was a vintage American private eye. I rest my cases.
                  Well, Haggar was a wrestler -- and Ventura was a wrestler.

Funny thing is -- Haggar was also a mayor and Ventura became a mayor. So, there were some strange cosmic shenanigans going on.

It does look like the designers took influence from Mike Hammer and Jesse Ventura. They created a hybrid that would go on to be an iconic character in gaming.

If they had made a Final Fight movie, you'd have definitely wanted Ventura to play Haggar.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-03-2019, 20:34.

Comment

Blimey, this arrived yesterday - I only paid £13 inc postage from Japan.

Didn’t expect it this quickly. Box is tatty but still nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
                      Blimey, this arrived yesterday - I only paid £13 inc postage from Japan.
                      Brings back good memories of borrowing it off someone back in January 1992 and thinking it was a decent port. Well.. at least much better than the dreary Amiga version that had disappointed me previously.

Comment

Give me the original and Mighty.

Everything else - the SNES/SFC sequels, Streetwise and Revenge - can get in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          Brings back good memories of borrowing it off someone back in January 1992 and thinking it was a decent port. Well.. at least much better than the dreary Amiga version that had disappointed me previously.
                          Heh, I played the Amiga version too. Quite liked it, but I had no basis for comparison. I don't think I played FF in the arcades until some time later.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Heh, I played the Amiga version too. Quite liked it, but I had no basis for comparison. I don't think I played FF in the arcades until some time later.
                            I had a friend who was obsessed with scrolling beat 'em ups, so we used to talk about them a lot. Final Fight was such a huge thing that I asked for the Amiga version hoping it would run pretty well on a system that should be able to deliver a reasonable approximation. But it turned out to be quite an ugly game with washed out colours and no music. It's a shadow of the arcade version.

So when I got the Super Famicom version, it at least looked and sounded like the arcade version. The big problem is an 8mb cart wasn't sufficient to store all the characters and levels. Had it been released in 1992-1993, when 16mb was more common, it would have been a much more satisfying port.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-04-2019, 07:38.

Comment

Working...
                            X