Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merge of "game discussion" and "first play"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merge of "game discussion" and "first play"?

We've been discussing in the Blue Room the possibility of merging the "Game discussion" folder with the "First Play" folder, so now it's time to put it to the wider audience.

If we were to do this, future game threads would contain the pre-release hype and then the post-release game opinions and chat, plus any news at any point.

I've added a couple of pros and cons below. There may be more. Please speak up.

Pros:
    We are a smaller community than when First Play was introduced, so it will condense chat into threads that are easier to find and contribute to.

Cons:
    People looking just for feedback on a game will find it tougher to figure out where the game chat starts.

If you have any particular thoughts either way, please write them below and vote in the poll.

The result of this poll is not binding. I'll do whatever I eventually decide, but am interested in what you all think
    Yes: Merge the folders
    0%
    No: Keep them as they are
    0%

It's a bit like brexit, but you know what you're getting.

Comment

I think the sections should remain separated, so that posts in the First Play section are always about the game and for people playing the game, while the Game Discussion is for news and such.

Comment

Combine them.

There's been so much first play style posts in the discussion section before now so might as well make it official.

Comment

Combine.
          If its a game you're interested in you're likely to keep up with the thread anyway.

Comment

I'd say combine, personally.

Comment

Do it! I think the only big reservation I’d have is that stage where there are pages of “I ordered it from here”. Other than that, we often have first impressions in their main gaming thread anyway so it would just mean we continue the discussion there.

Example: I’m currently writing about Waking Dead Final season in the season 2 thread because my posts could end up being the only ones in a new thread. Someone please rename it so I don’t look like I can’t read.
              Last edited by Dogg Thang; 31-03-2019, 20:10.

Comment

Yeah, I think it makes sense to combine them. It doesn’t mean we can’t have more than one thread per game if we need to or if people want to.

Comment

Wait! I’m admin and I didn’t get the memo.

Good plan though. We often discuss certain titles that ends up negating a first play thread.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I kinda like the delineation between both, on the First Play thread I can just flick through the pages and immediately know what game is being discussed. Hell, I'm so sad I'll sometimes randomly read a FP thread on a game from the past or on PC that I know nothing about and I'll just have fun reading the opinions.

BUT...The dual Resi 2 threads recently brought to mind how confusing everything is.

Jeez, I don't know.

Does anyone think having both unified would mean certain threads get pushed onto Page 2 quicker and end up not getting discussed?

Comment

You can't see the poll on mobile by the way. View in desktop or desktop style

Comment

Charlesr, as long the constant inane,

“I ordered it from here, etc”
                        Or
                        “It’s on its way!”
                        Or
                        “Oh noes it’s been delayed blah blah blah”

Are kept out the games threads then go for it. Will be less upkeep for you.

Comment

Yeah, that was my concern too. Those posts take up a disproportionate amount of pages when a big game is released.

Comment

Can just have a shipping sticky for those that are super concerned about that, otherwise strictly kept out of the game discussion threads.

Comment

There used to be one and people didn't use it (I'm pretty sure I started and pinned one years ago too) https://bordersdown.net/threads/1162...-thread-review

First play discussions are just going to get lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X