Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    I've pre-ordered one, but only to stop anyone bagging my online handle
    Good idea. Do they charge now or on shipment?
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
      On shipment

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        At shipment, otherwise I wouldn't have pre-ordered one (see Amazon now charging for pre-orders at order time thread).

Comment

Nice one fellas. I can always cancel in the unlikely event that somebody gets my username before me.

Do you think that we can swap the Buddy Pass between us to enable six months of subscription?
          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 09-06-2019, 09:28.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

If I’m reading about this correctly and Pixel/Chromecast hardware is the only Android hardware that can use it, then Stadia is quite frankly DOA when it drops.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              If I’m reading about this correctly and Pixel/Chromecast hardware is the only Android hardware that can use it, then Stadia is quite frankly DOA when it drops.
              Chromecast Ultra at launch, Pixel 3/3a and Chrome browser in 2020. Then Android later on. Also probably guaranteed in the new Pixel 4 Phones this year too.

Comment

I’d only ever play it on a TV myself.

I think I’ll secure my username and then cancel my pre-order.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                  Chromecast Ultra at launch, Pixel 3/3a and Chrome browser in 2020. Then Android later on. Also probably guaranteed in the new Pixel 4 Phones this year too.
                  That schedule still likely dooms Stadia to failure IMO. Pixel hardware (phones and PixelBooks) simply doesn’t sell enough to justify this strategy, and I’m saying that as a current Pixel 2 owner who’ll likely upgrade later this year.

It needs to be ready to go with ALL Android OEM devices at launch, surely? Otherwise we are looking at the new Ouya/OnLive.
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 09-06-2019, 10:47.

Comment

That schedule still likely dooms Stadia to failure IMO. Pixel hardware (phones and PixelBooks) simply doesn’t sell enough to justify this strategy, and I’m saying that as a current Pixel 2 owner who’ll likely upgrade later this year.

It needs to be ready to go with ALL Android OEM devices at launch, surely? Otherwise we are looking at the new Ouya/OnLive.
                    I don't personally think so. I suspect it was driven by wanting to be first to market (or very close - depending on MS) and phasing users on to the service, perhaps as much as what they have ready.

There is also a small amount of monetising those first wave of users. Rolling out to Pixel phones first is another phased approach and bringing an exclusive feature to their reference hardware first, something they have done before.

Comment

It is weird that it doesn't work across all Android phones from launch. But being able to play in Chrome is pretty powerful for getting people to try the service I think. You'll be able to start a trial of the service on your computer and be playing a game in minutes, without leaving your browser.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        It is weird that it doesn't work across all Android phones from launch. But being able to play in Chrome is pretty powerful for getting people to try the service I think. You'll be able to start a trial of the service on your computer and be playing a game in minutes, without leaving your browser.
                        Chrome has 70% share of the browser market, and over a billion active users (I was reading earlier). That is HUGE.

Comment

Yeah, it's the most effective element of the offer right now I think. The Pixel phone part is basically irrelevant since those phones aren't especially popular anyway, the Chromecast Ultra bit is so-so since you need to drop £120 - not far off the cost of a PS4 or Xbox.

But the Chrome browser compatibility? Strong. Very strong.

Comment

Google Stadia is an exciting prospect - 4K, 60fps gaming via any screen connected to the internet. But as with so many …

Eurogamer looks at Stadia broadband needs

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-google-stadia

Eurogamer looks at Stadia broadband needs
                              And the prognosis for Stadia's broadband needs (and how many users actually have the broadband capability to actually experience Stadia at its minimum performance level, never mind optimum level) really doesn't look good, regardless of how many Chrome users there are at present.

I stand by what I've said - Google really need to reconsider and make Stadia compatible with all Android OEM devices at launch or, for me, it is in trouble.

Comment

I think it's OK. I reckon most people have 20Mb+ now. I mean we have PS Now, that's a thing, and I've not heard much in the way of complaints from people whose internet is too slow for the service (although maybe that's just because no one cares about it?!).

Comment

Working...
                                X