Chinese GDEMU: Just as good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese GDEMU: Just as good?

I noticed that sellers in China are selling a copy of the GDEMU board for around £60. Does anyone know if there have been any problems reported? I will buy one if it's just the same as the original version.

Overheating issues

Comment

It does the same job but you can’t update the firmware to the latest official version as far as I’m aware. When I was looking into these they were never available, hence the clones, so I went for a USB GD-ROM Controller instead.

The overheating issues are caused by the power supply due to the 12v line no longer being used, best to replace it with a Pico PSU.

Also, I surprised to see these clones being sold on Amazon under the Xberstar name.
      Last edited by _SD_; 04-04-2019, 17:40.

Comment

You can mod the dc easily with a resistor to simulate the drain of the gdrom drive.

Comment

I will think about replacing the PSU or using a resistor. I read the reviews on Amazon and people say it works well. So I'll probably grab one off eBay, seeing it's £60 for the same thing Xberstar are selling for £100.

Comment

As SD a said" you can't update the software"

Why don't you just buy the original ones when they come up, they're 130€ (not a lot of money for what it does really)

No offence but I can't understand why anyone would want to buy Chinese knocks offs

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I will think about replacing the PSU or using a resistor. I read the reviews on Amazon and people say it works well. So I'll probably grab one off eBay, seeing it's £60 for the same thing Xberstar are selling for £100.
              I have a Chinese one and it works 100% just like the real deal and its half the price. I bought mine from Amazon Japan of all places.
              The overheating issue will also happen with the real Gdemu too as others have said. Just add a few correct resistors and your worries will be gone.

Comment

Pretty ****ty not supporting the person who created it, but I guess that’s up to you.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean Speedy, that was my first thought as well. But the guy who makes these is his own worst enemy in terms of sales. I mean RHEAs are just near impossible to get hold of - the fact that machines with them in installed go for 800 odd quid on Ebay is just nuts.

He really needs to sort out how he can get them made more efficiently and keep up a consistent flow of stock and a much easier ordering process. It's kind of frustrating to watch. Putting aside the lower cost of these copy versions, he's going to lose out to competitors from China or elsewhere anyway eventually - if they can simply make units available and easy to order, they'll have him beat.

I feel like he's obviously very talented on the electronics, but he needs a partner for the business side of things.

Comment

I’ve had the same thought process but ultimately I feel like there isn’t enough demand to justify that sort of action. It’s ****ty, but people that really want these items just have to persist and accept that they’re not available immediately. Not that I know much about the dev, could be that this is just a side hobby for them also. Either way, it’s up to the end user if they’re happy with a fraudulent product. At this point you’ll probably be fine going forward but I think I’d personally hold out for the real deal in case of future additions.

Comment

I keep reading this, they're really not. He always states on his blog when the next batch is available,

They always go on sale on a Saturday morning between 10-11 GMT time, all you have to do is sit at your computer and refresh the page. Latest batch went on sale last Saturday and the page was up for at least 10 minutes.

Comment

Yeah, someone on the retro game boards discord made a bot that alerts you when they go on sale.

Is it every Saturday [MENTION=10204]garrz32[/MENTION], or? I suppose the guy must have a Twitter account or something too.

Seems like much less fuss than my stupid PSIO was to obtain at the very least.

Comment

Not every Saturday
                          Last edited by garrz32; 05-04-2019, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                            I keep reading this, they're really not. He always states on his blog when the next batch is available,

They always go on sale on a Saturday morning between 10-11 GMT time, all you have to do is sit at your computer and refresh the page. Latest batch went on sale last Saturday and the page was up for at least 10 minutes.

That’s insanely inconvenient compared to just going on Amazon and ordering something.

Comment

Like everything else , put in the effort get rewarded..If your happy buying Chinese knocks off from Sweatshops fill your boots.

Comment

Working...
                              X